PDA

View Full Version : engine mods?

IDLE13
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Can i put gt and gt-s exhaust and headers on my st? How hard would it be to put a gt-s engine in a st , do they bolt in?

alltracman78
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
No, kinda hard, and no.
To put a 5SFE [5th gen GT/GTS engine] into your ST you will need a different transmission, and you will have to weld a different engine mount on the pass side.
Plus wiring and such....

If you want to swap, go to the FI [forced induction] forum, and look up swapping a 3SGTE into your car.

Cavanagh
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Ya, if your gunna swap go with the 3SGTE and if im correct the 5SFE only pushes out only 32 more hp than the 4AFE, and the 3sgte ranges depending on the generation wihich ranges from 160-260.

alltracman78
05-09-2006, 02:56 AM
190 to 250

IDLE13
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
can you put a 1990 gts engine in a 1990 st? Is there any engine that will bolt in my car and use the same ecu and tranny?

angryyoungnpoor
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes. a 90-91 4afe will... in otherwords the same engine you have now. ECU's and wiring are engine specific.

IDLE13
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
the gts and st dont both have a 4afe, I was talking about putting a gts engine in my car which is a st. But i found a guy that imports engines in albany near where i live and he can get me a 4agze with tranny and all engine equipment for 1000.

Murgatroy
05-14-2006, 12:07 AM
The GT-S came with the 5SFE, it is a 2.2L engine. It makes only about 30 more horses than the 4AFE 1.6L engine you already have. There are more bolt-ons for them than the 4AFE but it is still an economical engine with little potential.

The swap options are there and they are the normal path to extract more power. The difficulty level differs with the swap, but it is all mostly the same.

If you want to swap a 3SGTE (2.0L Turbocharged) or a 5SFE (2.2L N/A) you will also have to source a transmission, new crossmember and axles. That is not counting the wiring issues you will encounter, the new ECU that will be required and the hood for TMIC (top mount intercooler) clearance with the 3SGTE. The 3SGTE has been done in an ST before, Grumpy514 on this site has done both his and his brother's ST swaps with his father, he will be able to help. We also have a guy that swapped a 5SFE into his ST on here for oval racing to stay within the rules.

There are however other options to swap in other than a 3SGTE or a 5SFE. You can also go with a 4AGE in many flavors to choose from. This is a 1.6L engine with a performance oriented head that has been in use for many years and still soldiers on to this day in the Toyota Atlantic Racing series and AE86 drift cars the world over. With a FWD 4AGE you won't have to change the tranny. The crossmember is the same as well. It is basically a drop in bolt up swap. However the wiring issues will remain and a tranny change is suggested due to the increased power.

You can also drop in a 7AFE (1.8L), 5AFE (1.5L) or another 4AFE with little to no wiring modifications and reuse your old tranny. You will have to chase a few wires, but not nearly as many as a dedicated swap. However I only suggest these as dead engine replacement directly regarding price. That means if the 4AFE in your car is dead and you want to get it running again quickly and cheaply, go with one of the three listed above. These will not give any power increases or performance benefits.

You final option however is to get performance parts designed for your 4AFE. There are a few companies out there that make headers to fit the 4AFE, Megan Racing and Unorthodox both make headers. Any competant exaust shop can fab up a 2.25" (do not go larger!!) exhaust using an off-the-shelf muffler that will make you sound mean and save a little gas. Many of the members here, myself included have made intakes and can walk you through that. There are even a few intrepid folks who have turbo charged thier 4AFEs.

Just be aware that regardless of what everyone says, there are options for ST owners to keep thier gas sipping, no power 4AFEs and make gainful modifications. Just don't expect them to be monsters.