PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

6strngs
05-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey, just wanted to come introduce myself. My name is Nathan, I'm from california, and I drive a 94 celica GT with stock 2.2L 5sfe engine. She's all stock except an injen short ram intake for now, I was hoping I could get some ideas on this site on what other mods I could do. Alright well, see you all around! :cool:

aballz
05-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the site! These guys are great. Sorry i can't help you on your ideas since i own a 5th gen. Good luck with your mods!

andy
05-02-2006, 06:29 AM
5th gen gt turbo is sorta fast. hahah. hasnt blown yet 196k and goin! nice job on the 5th gen. just save up for a 3sgte front clip. and Welcome

6strngs
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! yeah, you gotta love toyota engines, I'm at 147,000 and no problems whatsoever.

I have considered a 3sgte swap, but I'm in california, and it'll be impossible to pass smog, and I don't know what the consequences for that would be.

Azzazzyn
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
the 3s isn't a jap motor persay, it was available in the states, so i don't see why you couldn't pass smog, but then again, you are from cali

Colossus20v
05-03-2006, 05:51 AM
welcome aboard. Feel free to ask questions, but also use the search function and see if your quesitons have already been asked.

Sean
05-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Welcome!

Power, well, FI is the most common method of improving power with any small displacement engine.

Quite a few people have scooted by emissions in California with their 3s swap. The best way for you to probably do it, is to source a USDM 3sgte, so you wont have to worry about the EGR and what not. Then, talk around, I'm sure you can pay somebody off to have the car passed :)

You should use our garage feature to show us your car, as well as our gallery feature to host your pictures.

Holla if you need anything.

6strngs
05-03-2006, 06:48 AM
the 3s isn't a jap motor persay, it was available in the states, so i don't see why you couldn't pass smog, but then again, you are from cali
wouldn't I then have to buy one that was produced in the states? I believe the california law on engine swaps is you have to put in a same year or newer california engine (in other words, I couldn't import an enging from ohio, let alone japan) but let's just say I put this engine in, and it doesn't pass smog, what happens then?

aballz
05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
wouldn't I then have to buy one that was produced in the states? I believe the california law on engine swaps is you have to put in a same year or newer california engine (in other words, I couldn't import an enging from ohio, let alone japan) but let's just say I put this engine in, and it doesn't pass smog, what happens then?

I'm from California and i believe you're correct on the law where the swap of the engine must be the same year or any engine thats newer.

andy
05-04-2006, 05:35 AM
move to alabama. Problem solved. NO smog NO anything really. There are so many trucks with huge mud tires with little pricks driven them that dont even ride off road, and put huge speakers in there so they can listen to there country music. GAHHH dont get me started anyway. i see more trucks with NO exhaust and the cops just pass em by. FUN. later

ciento44
05-04-2006, 07:27 AM
move to alabama. Problem solved. NO smog NO anything really. There are so many trucks with huge mud tires with little pricks driven them that dont even ride off road, and put huge speakers in there so they can listen to there country music. GAHHH dont get me started anyway. i see more trucks with NO exhaust and the cops just pass em by. FUN. later

Indiana is the same way... ACTUALLY.... we don't even have inspection.

Cavanagh
05-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Same in Springfield, IL well, mainly the lower more hick part of Illinois :) must me a midwest thing.

6strngs
05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
sure... I could have a sweet ass car in one of those states... but the only music that would come through on the radio station would be bluegrass and country. I might kill myself if that happened. sorry, but I'm a metalhead :wiggle:

but seriously though, there is no way that a tiny ass japanese sports car with a japanese engine could produce any more pollution than the hundreds of thousands of SUV drivers in this state (damn SUV owners, always taking up the entire fricken parking spot, and having their stupid ass kids swing the doors wide and put a ding in my poor, sexy little car) hell, even our states governor, arnold schwarzeneggar (sp?) has like 7 H2 hummers...

btw, no one has told me what would happen should you not pass smog yet.

6strngs
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM
nice job on the 5th gen.
actually it's a 6th gen.

Cavanagh
05-05-2006, 09:51 PM
ok i will, as far as i know, you have to pay for parts that will make it smog passable, my friends porsche didn't pass and he had to pay about 600 bucks on stuff to make it smog-legal, so its not like they will take your car, they just make you get the shit for it. ALSO in a small township in SPFLD, IL. if you have your cpu speakers on, country comes through them, but that is just hick-ass southern view.

6strngs
05-05-2006, 10:51 PM
ok i will, as far as i know, you have to pay for parts that will make it smog passable, my friends porsche didn't pass and he had to pay about 600 bucks on stuff to make it smog-legal, so its not like they will take your car, they just make you get the shit for it. ALSO in a small township in SPFLD, IL. if you have your cpu speakers on, country comes through them, but that is just hick-ass southern view.
and what if it's impossible to pass smog no matter how many parts you buy (like it would be with a 3sgte engine, right?)

Cavanagh
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Its not "Impossible" to pass smog.

6strngs
05-08-2006, 03:19 AM
Its not "Impossible" to pass smog.
:wtf: I'm confused. I guess maybe I should ask people who have done the swap about how they got around emissions.

creech_r
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
the product is called "heet" old school shitty cars pass with this stuff