PDA

View Full Version : AEM EMS: Who's got it, How is it?

Toyota_Todd
01-08-2005, 04:39 AM
I would really like some input on the AEM EMS.

I have read some of the posts on the AEM websites and forums and it sounds pretty good. Just would like some feedback from real 3SGTE users/tuners.

The other important question. Where did you get it and how much $$$ did they rape you for. I am scraping for every dime trying to save up for this, so if you know of a good source...spill it. :hehe:

Thanks in advance.

JGS3SGE
01-09-2005, 06:13 AM
I love mine but then again I'm an EMS geek...
I love all the potential, it was very worth rewiring for 3SGTE plugs. The software was a little ALIEN at first but by reading the help files, it was easy enough... the software has some annoying bugs, but their actively providing upgrades.
May not be the system for EMS newbies tho, I cut my teeth on the much simpler Haltech E6K (before the AEM even existed).

But if you have a wideband wired in, the autotune function is the shit. The only other EMS I'd consider is the Autronic...
But is doesn't snap in, is requires an expensive reluctor adapter, and the autotune is extra... I think the AEM is cheaper once you start considering all the nessary installation parts.

I got mine through a shop I do product for, I did them a favor so they gave it to me at cost with was $1350 or so :cool:

I rate it a 4 out of 5

skyman88
01-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey,
I know that it is not on 3SGTE related but we are using the AEM on our school's FSAE car this year. From all of the reading I've done plus talking to the 2 guys messing with it over this Christmas break, they are very very happy with it. It has way more options then needed, but allows for a lot of improvement (ABS, traction control, etc...). So from my experience, the AEM is great. We paid around $1500 for it, and so far has been well worth it.

~SKY~

Toyota_Todd
03-14-2005, 03:23 AM
Everything I have heard so far has been pretty positive. :D I hope to order it in the near future and have been shopping for the best deal. Does anyone else have any AEM EMS experiences? Thanks. :bigthumbu

I am also shopping for a laptop for tuning (and surfing+DVDs) . Does any one have a good hook up on computer equipment? I don't know if I want to trust Ebay with such a big purchase.

ATSAaron
03-17-2005, 03:58 AM
The AEM is one of the worst stand alones on the market. The only peole I know who actually like it either have no other choice in its price range (Supra owners) or have never tuned a real EMS before. The Autronic is a better ecu and is easier to tune. Too bad the US dollar is so weak or they would be price competative. As far as easy to tune..I recently got a tuning estimate of over $2000 to tune an AEM on a MKIII Supra. This was from a nationally famous AEM certified tuner. So be sure to figure that into the price. The hardware to make the AEM ecu decent might be in there already, but the software an AEM's approach to marketing it is just plain stupid. Why is there not a setup wizard that asks you:

1. make, model
2. AFM or MAP
3. injector size
4. fuel pressure

and then sets the ECU up correctly? AEM was so close to making something nice...but they f'd it up. The Link ECU's come preconfigured for 3S and will plug-n-play and START on the first try.

Aaron
ATSRacing.net

Toyota_Todd
03-24-2005, 06:30 AM
I am not too worried about the tuning issue. There is a local MKIV Supra guy with AEM stand alone that is pulling 800+RWHP and he tuned it himself. I met him the other night and he agreed to do the tuning if and when I get the AEM. I will agree that the Autronic is a nicer EMS, but the price is definately a lot more.

Toyota_Todd
03-25-2005, 04:06 AM
After talking to Ken Blake today, I am taking a second look at the MRcontrols Hydra Nemesis. Its sounds like a solid setup that is much easier to tune.