PDA

View Full Version : soft brakes after overheated pads

85gtsblackman
01-08-2005, 02:46 AM
well on wensday i was doing alot of driving, about 200miles worth, and for about 30-45 mins i was doing sum 80-120 runs then 120 down to 60 over and over due to horrible traffic, and also alot of stop and go braking. Upon getting to my destination i could smell my cooked brakes.

Today ive been driving normal and i noticed my brakes reqire alot more petal travel and feel softer than before, i know i have some crappy albany lifetime pads,i probally wore em out, ill check tomarow . Would this also cause glazing of the rotors? And ill bleed the system or should i drain and refill with new fluid i dunno if i boiled the fluid or not.

Conrad_Turbo
01-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Depends on what DOT level fluid you used, I am guessing you boiled it. Definately change flush the brake fluid since you've probably got tiny trapped bubbles of air in your brake line.

Doc
01-08-2005, 04:11 AM
i know i have some crappy albany lifetime pads,i probally wore em out, ill check tomarow . Would this also cause glazing of the rotors? And ill bleed the system or should i drain and refill with new fluid i dunno if i boiled the fluid or not.

conrad took care of the fluid part already... except bleeding the brake system and draining is pretty much the same thing.

but as for your pads/rotors... rotors do not glaze over, the pads so. like was said in one of the tech threads, when certain pad materials get hot enough, they form a layer of film similar to glass. This could have also happened if you were slowing hard and often enough.

so ya. get that stuff checked out asap. if you want some better pads, check out green stuf pads avilable on tirerack. I've got them on mine and the work great. and they're good to over 1000 F. $50 a set for the fronts only.

85gtsblackman
01-08-2005, 06:19 PM
thanks ill do it today or tomarrow

fluid was sum crappy walmart dot 3

at least the pads are life time so i can get another set for free, beleave me i want better pads but due to not working right now i need to save all i can, the pads are decent till half worn so hopefully ill be working by then.

85gtsblackman
01-23-2005, 03:28 AM
oh yeah i fixed it, rear wheel cylinder leaked, badd, it had coated my rear wheel

Slider
08-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Same thing just happened to me, I hope a simple bleed will take care of it.

Had my brakes done recently so I decided to bed them in, bad idea

85gtsblackman
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
holy thread revival that was back when i had the stx :old: :slap: :hehe:

Slider
08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
holy thread revival that was back when i had the stx :old: :slap: :hehe:

No point in making a new one :thefinger :hehe:

Adrian Avgerinos
08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks ill do it today or tomarrow

fluid was sum crappy walmart dot 3

at least the pads are life time so i can get another set for free, beleave me i want better pads but due to not working right now i need to save all i can, the pads are decent till half worn so hopefully ill be working by then.

If you're on a tight budget, pick up a container of Valvoline SynPower fluid from just about any autoparts store:
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51

It's cheap and performs really well. The only downside is that it's highly hydroscopic. So it really likes to absorb water over time. I'd suggest making a habit of bleeding your brakes once to twice a year at least with this fluid (you ought to be doing it that often anyway if you intend to cook your brakes often)

EDIT: I r stupid. I just noticed it was a revived thread. Oh well.

Slider
08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm actually going to be doing a flush today since it's probably overdue for it.

Slider
08-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Bleeding the brakes took care of it. :bigthumbu Ordered some ATE Super Blue, will flush the whole system in a couple weeks.

Slider
08-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Bleeding the brakes took care of it. :bigthumbu Ordered some ATE Super Blue, will flush the whole system in a couple weeks.

I take it back, after an hour of driving it's back to spongy :thumbsdow, there must be a leak somewhere, man I don't even know where it's coming from. My guess is from the rear brakes. Man this sucks

85gtsblackman
08-20-2006, 04:23 PM
well i got a really slow leak on the gts but its the resivor tank o ring, goes to low after 4 weeks, but no spongeyness, im just praying it will hold till my arm heals

then ill fix that and put in stainless brake lines :bigthumbu