PDA

View Full Version : F1 - Imola - Round Four

Trance4c
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I was off for one round of the season due to my trip to St. Pete’s to see the Indy race. Unfortunately I missed the Australian GP which had a lot of action in it, but I do not plan to miss anymore for the season.

Anyway.. on with the review for round four!

In a way, Imola was a boring race and an exciting race. First though the coverage for Imola was done by CBS. The F1 media coverage is usually contracted to SPEED channel, but through they're networking deals 4 races from the season will be on regular broadcast television. This I'm sure is in an effort just to get F1 a little regular media exposure in the USA. Let me say though, I can't stand the CBS commentating! Oh holly christ, shut up! We do not need to know that the stupid lap counter at the top of the screen counts downward to 0 in F1.. thank you very much! Regardless though, I'm sure it was enjoyed by others as myself that it was on broadcast TV and didn't have to worry about paying for such cable or packages needed to get SPEED.

So, on with the race. The grid was a bit interesting, Ferrari looked very strong again as they did last year at Imola. Micheal Schumacher was on pole position. This was actually a record breaking 66th pole position originally held by the late great Ayrton Senna. The 248 F1 Ferrari was looking very competitive here at Imola and Renault was aware of this. Amazingly though second on the grid went to Jenson Button in his Honda. 3rd behind M. Schumacher was his ex-teammate from Ferrari now Honda driver Rubens Barrichello. So the Honda duo looked very strong this weekend, but the question still remained, 'does Honda have race pace?'. They're qualifying has been extremely strong but they have just not been able to keep the same speeds through out the race. Followed up by the Hondas was the second Ferrari by Felipe Massa, so it was a very decisive front two rows of Ferrari and Honda. Lurking in the top 10 were top drivers Fernando Alonso in his Renault in 5th, Ralf Schumacher looking strong once again in the Toyota TF106 in 6th followed up by the pair of McLarens of Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen in the MP4-21s 7th and 8th respectively. The last two top 10 spots went to Jarno Trulli in the second Toyota TF106 in P9, and Mark Webber in the continually impressive Williams. The midfield looked like a hodgepodge of regulars but Giancarlo Fisichella in the second Renault was in P11! Amazingly bad qualifications even though he got a revised engine update over his teammate Fernando Alsonso which gave him around a 30hp advantage. The rest of the field was littered with the usual Reb Bulls, BMW, Midland and Super Aguri cars.

The start was relatively unexciting. It is common knowledge that the Renaults have the best launch control on the grid but it made very little due to the traffic and nature of the track for passing. Fernando Alonso was able to jump one place up to 4th on the start but the real action happened in the back as the Super Aguri driver Yuji Ide dipped under the Midland Toyota MF1 car of Christijan Albers. This put Albers into a top to bottom roll over where the car came to a rest upside down.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/1.JPG http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/2.JPG
Yuji Ide is a rookie this year and much crisitism is coming his way, it is unlikely he will return for the next GP. Albers had the race line going into the turn and his body language once out of the car showed his frustration.

Now, this is where the coverage of CBS becomes another bitch fest. Through out the race, many things were happening! Red Bull had failures we never saw, the McLarens and Felipe Massa in his Ferrari were having a dual for position. We never saw anything on the Williams, the 2nd Renault by Giancarlo Fisichella or any of the midfield runners! The only action we saw was a very failed pit stop by Honda for Jenson Button taking him out of the running for a top 3 finish. Honda looked good, but the lollypop man raised the stick to let him go before the fuel rig was completely removed from the car. http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/3.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/4.JPG

So you might as well say, why? What was happening? Possibly the best racing of the season so far up front! The first stint of the race saw returning world champion Fernando Alonso run longer than all the other races with a heavy fuel load but yet still making very quick lap times. After the first pit stop it became clear that Alonso was in the hunt to take down the 13 second lead Micheal Schumacher had put on him. After only 10 laps Alonso was on Micheals rear wing! It was apparent Alonso was faster, but trying to find a place to pass a veteran like Schumacher is never easy, especially when he is golden and doesn't make any mistakes!
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/5.JPG
For nearly 20 laps these two dueled it out, Alonso was within spitting distance of the Ferrari many times, pushing hard but yet too hard and ran wide twice. The Renault team decided to try and leap frog Schumacher in the pits eventually and brought Fernando in 2 laps early. The next lap though Schumacher showed off performance that wasn't apparent in his 1.27 second lap times. While Alonso was in the pits Micheal pulled off a 1.25 second lap making any advance the Renault team might have made on pit time and new fresh tires irrelevant. After Micheals pit stop they both came out in the same position, Alonso just hounding him all the way to the end. It was nearly 2/3rds of the race this was going on up front, watching Alonso trying different race lines into turns and down straights just to see if he could find a place to pass, but it wouldn't happen. The two of them put on a great show for everyone but Ferrari had they’re win! Micheal was back (or at least.. the media says.. it is his first competitive win since 2004) and Alonso had to settle for second.

All in all, possibly a race that will go down in history as the rolls were reversed just a year prior. Last year Alonso was the one hounded by Schumacher but the Renault of Alonso was able to hold him off and take the win. It was very amusing to see the rolls reversed and just how competitive these two champions are! The racing was clean and professional, but were pushing very hard and nearly sliding/drifting around some corners. As much as I don't want to see Ferrari back in dominance, this is what makes motor racing great!

Next, round 5, the European Grand Prix at Nurburgring!

Luis C
04-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Dull race if you ask me, not very exciting, TV mid field coverage was lacking. Ide should have his superlicense revoked for the shunt with Albers, Jenny Boy run-away fuel rig was the most dumb thing I've seen in F1 in a long while and Ferrari win was nothing but slim, had the track temperature been higher the BS wouldn't have held together and the car barely made it to the end, a few more laps and FA would've overtaken MS.

BTW.. it's STINT not STINK ;)

Trance4c
04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Dull race if you ask me, not very exciting, TV mid field coverage was lacking. Ide should have his superlicense revoked for the shunt with Albers, Jenny Boy run-away fuel rig was the most dumb thing I've seen in F1 in a long while and Ferrari win was nothing but slim, had the track temperature been higher the BS wouldn't have held together and the car barely made it to the end, a few more laps and FA would've overtaken MS.

BTW.. it's STINT not STINK ;)

Ya.. boring, but good, but yet.. boring haha. Thanks for the edit.. I had to go reread it all and clean it up haha.

Mr E
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
The coverage wasn't CBS fault my man.

All stations, as far as I know, take the same feed. UK channels had the same problem.

Italian director. A Ferarri in the lead. There could have been Osama himself in a Super Aguri driving around with burning twin towers on the side of the car, and we'd have never seen it.

slvrblt
04-24-2006, 10:26 PM
What pissed me off the most about CBS's coverage was that they tape delayed the race by several hours. By that time I had already looked up the results on f1-live.com .

Trance4c
04-25-2006, 02:40 PM
What pissed me off the most about CBS's coverage was that they tape delayed the race by several hours. By that time I had already looked up the results on f1-live.com .

Well.. if it was live.. it would be like 2am in the morning like on SPEED haha.

As for CBS's coverage, I agree.. its not all they're fault as it was Italy and a Ferrari in front. BUT.. they did cut footage! In the opening, the drivers were out of they're cars, then next thing you know they were doing they're warm up lap. The lap numbers cut down drastically at some points as well. I don't think this is necessarily all of the local media coverages problem as I'm sure CBS cut down the tape to fit they're time schedule. It took Alonso 10 laps to catch Micheal, by watching it looked more like 3 laps! Just as an example, so I'm sure some of it was cut by CBS. BUT, my main gripe was over they're commentators.. I can't stand them.

Nemesis3S-GTE
04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Overall, the race wasn't that bad, unless you're a Toyota fan like myself. I swear I've been cheering for Toyota since day one, and I've never...NEVER seen them pass anyone on track. You would figure that with a race budget larger than the most small countries budgets they'd do something right. Also, did anyone hear what exactly happened to Trulli? He went in after 5 laps or so, but they never said what the problem was. I did like the racing between FA and MS, that really made the race interesting towards the end. You are right about the coverage for this race, it didn't really seem up to par with the previous races this season.

Trance4c
04-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Overall, the race wasn't that bad, unless you're a Toyota fan like myself. I swear I've been cheering for Toyota since day one, and I've never...NEVER seen them pass anyone on track. You would figure that with a race budget larger than the most small countries budgets they'd do something right. Also, did anyone hear what exactly happened to Trulli? He went in after 5 laps or so, but they never said what the problem was. I did like the racing between FA and MS, that really made the race interesting towards the end. You are right about the coverage for this race, it didn't really seem up to par with the previous races this season.

Well.. Trullis weekend was a mess. First, his qualification lap was screwed by an exceptionally slow M. Schumacher. Trulli was on a very quick quali lap and it is believed that Ferrari told Schumacher to slow down and block him on a turn instead of move off to the side on a straight away because of his threatening pace. So.. who knows what could have happened, but its Italy and the stewards didn't do anything about Schumachers move.

As for his 5 laps then out, it seemed to be a problem with the steering column. Steering column??!?! Who has a problem with that shit? Your right, you'd think with the budget they have, they would get something right!

Back to the quali issue though, Trulli has vowed to block Schumacher whenever possible now, he is very pissed about it.

Luis C
04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
IMHO MS does not deserve the place he has now in F1 history. He has the most unsportsmanship conduct I've seen in F1 in a long while, blocking other drivers on they quali laps, hitting others that are passing him... he behaves like no F1 driver should, in all he and FIArrari make me sick

Trance4c
04-26-2006, 04:16 AM
IMHO MS does not deserve the place he has now in F1 history. He has the most unsportsmanship conduct I've seen in F1 in a long while, blocking other drivers on they quali laps, hitting others that are passing him... he behaves like no F1 driver should, in all he and FIArrari make me sick

Ya.. just look at his behavior on track last season when NOTHING was going his way! He is a jackass.. I completely agree with you.

Nemesis3S-GTE
04-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Thank you, FINALLY some other people that DON'T like him! I have some people over for all the races and I swear I'm the only one that can't stand him.

Luis C
04-28-2006, 03:18 AM
Every TRUE F1 fan (not the bunch of would-be fans that started to appear 6 or 7 yeasrs ago when FIArrari and MS started "winning" a.k.a. Schufossis) knows that MS is the dirtiest driver on the field, the guy can't stand loosing or being passed; it makes him sore all over.

Unfortunatly the newer crop of drivers fall short on their predecesors gains, MS wouldnt stand a chance if the field was populated by drivers like Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansel, Patrick Tambay, Rene Arnaux, Nicki Lauda and a long etc