PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Celica. Got me a new toy *pics 56k beware**

Luni
04-23-2006, 05:12 AM
So yeah, you guys are gonna hate, but I dont give a shit. I just got myself a new toy.

Got myself a 91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo (not AWD unfortunately) for a mere 150 bux. All it needs is a head (previous owner let timing belt go, interference engine= bent valves).

Fucker only has 86k original miles on it though.

Its a bit dinged up and need some cosmetic things, but all in all its a kickass buy. I can fix the thing for 400-500 bux easy if I do the work myself (which I plan on, I have more wrenchtime/experience on DSMs than any other car out there, even the MR2).

Anyway, heres a picture of it. (its a 1.3 megapixel image, sorry bout the image size) w00t for a kickass camera phone.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/DSC00361.JPG

Dude in the left is Jeremy; hes the one that loaned me the 150 to buy it and is gonna front fixing it (he is gonna drive it till he gets his new 03 M3 w00t)

Dudes head poking up over the fender is Travis; hes the one that found it and arranged the trailer we used to haul it home with.

Truck is also the truck that picked up the MR2s engine from freight house, and towed the MR2 to the shop, and even took the old engine to the scrapyard. Good truck. Ford 460 8.something liters of american inefficiency and a powerhouse of torque w00t w00t.

Playfortoday
04-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Go Rob! You'll love it. I loved everything about my Talon TSI except the fact that is was not a toyota.

nuclearhappines
04-23-2006, 02:21 PM
check for crank walk... since it's a 91 ...

otherwise ... great deal...

you know there's a free boost mod in it, a k&n, a dp, an FCD, and a fuel pump rewire will get you a quick 50hp-60hp or so...

congrats ! ...check the pistons for valve indentations though...that's what you have to worry about ...

-nuke

GRUMPY514
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Very nice

my brother also loved his 93' Talon TSI AWD
felt very fast indeed

Friend of mine has a plymouth laser turbo untill he traded it for a TSI AWD.
Pretty good cars. Kind of a bitch to work on though. But iam guess your use to it with you having the MR2 and all.

GRUMPY514
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/GRUMPY514/crankwalk_haha_114.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/GRUMPY514/poster1da.jpg

:D

VikingJZ
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
My friend Jimmy has a 95 Eclipse GSX. Something is screwy with it. He says it hesitates under full throttle acceleration. Poor GSX....

Great buy though.

nuclearhappines
04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
have him change his plugs and do a pressure test and replace his fuel filter and or pump

1- a boost leak may cause hestiation and fuel cut ... it may only show up under boost
2- plugs and a break in spark will show hesitation under increased load (Which is boost, which occurs under high throttle) ...
3- a clogged fuel filter or a dying fuel pump may have enough flow for part throttle... but then when you go full throttle, if the pump or filter can't keep up with the engine's demand you may get this hesitation

could be other sensor related stuff too (bad MAS, bad sensors....etc) ...pulling the diagnostics should help solve it if it's electrical

-nuke

fiveSFE
04-23-2006, 11:49 PM
92.5 and under hardly ever crankwalk.

92.5 and under had a 6 bolt engine, alot stronger than the rest. they switched to a 7 bolt after that. the 4g63 didnt have a crankwalk problem till the birth of the 2g's(95+)

very cool, another laser on this site :) check out dsmtuners.com they have a guide for the freemods and whatnot.

Luni
04-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Oh, I already know about as much about THIS car as I do about my MR2.

Ive already dealt with my best friends 3 other ones with him.

Dont worry guys, I gotcha covered on the DSM front too.

Im not gonna mod it either.

I DO have a small 16g turbo to put in it tho. Thats about the extent of the mods its gonna get besides a fuel pump rewire and maybe an open element filter for breathing and sound.

Slider
04-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Damn that's a steal of a price, basicly giving it away. Very sweet deal

GRUMPY514
04-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Yea great price

reminds me when my bro bought his TSI AWD talon 1g at a car auction. we got it for 300$ out the door.

On the way home we boosted it and it blew a radiator hose hahaha.

Had to toe it home with a rope and the help of my dads jeep wrangler. After water pump and rad house fixed it ran HARD. Then sold it to our good friend whos till has it running great.

burnyd
04-24-2006, 07:21 AM
great price but youll rememebr what a great price when you pay the same to get it towed back to your house... dsms can be fast but there never reliable... 4g is a good motor and you can make some pretty good power. But for overall reliability 3sgte is your better motor.

T-spoon
04-24-2006, 04:39 PM
great price but youll rememebr what a great price when you pay the same to get it towed back to your house... dsms can be fast but there never reliable... 4g is a good motor and you can make some pretty good power. But for overall reliability 3sgte is your better motor.

He hates his MR2 though. 3sgtes suck.

david in germany
04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Whatcha doing with the celica?

Playfortoday
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Selling it to me for $100 after it runs. (pretty please)

Lagos
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
nice car luni. i almost bought an awd talon before doing my swap, so i have a soft spot for those cars. hope it came with that trailer, because thats the only way your going to get to ride around in it .... :laugh:

Blackcloud
04-24-2006, 10:55 PM
nice dent

Luni
04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
You like that PC?

Dude, again, I cant stress enough the 150 buying price.

I could bondo it and spraypaint that shit and still feel good about having bought it.

Borinal
04-25-2006, 12:00 AM
That dent is the door Bob! Remember Trav's? It's that defect... Was it even hit there? It makes me think of his door opening problem.