PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to do?

renegadeoflove
04-20-2006, 01:55 AM
I got a 90 GT and i want to make the exhaust loud and low. not like all the hondas out there that sounds so bad. ok everything is stock except i have a Weapon R cold air intake and a Naxos muffler. what would be the best thing to get it rely loud. i've heard off emptying the Cat how would i do that???

Gary
04-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Straight pipe, no cat, no muffler.

ciento44
04-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Open headers!!

No, really... what Gary said.

Or... i don't know how low this would end up sounding on a 5sfe, but you could run a straight pipe with a resonator or two... it'll be loud, it'll sound pissed off, and people will wonder what the hell you have under there, even though it'll still be slow. :p

TEAMFaint
04-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Open headers!!

No, really... what Gary said.

Or... i don't know how low this would end up sounding on a 5sfe, but you could run a straight pipe with a resonator or two... it'll be loud, it'll sound pissed off, and people will wonder what the hell you have under there, even though it'll still be slow. :p

Word, this makes a big difference. Cut out your cat (if its legal in your state) and replace it with a resonator, it gives the car a totally different tone. Itll change it from tinny, to low and deep.

hobbie2k
04-20-2006, 04:52 AM
yeah, you could do what they've said. Don't gut your cat, though. It involves removing it and using a long pipe to smash all the innards out. It is very illegal, and the dust it produces is highly carcinogenic, and it will stick around for a long time. Anyway, unless you remove your muffler, too, it really won't be much louder.

But here's the thing. There's no way to make your motor sound like a V8, it won't happen. It will always sound like an I4, but with a properly tuned exhaust system it can still sound good. Unfortunately, there is no "cheap" way to do it. Any cheap exhaust mods you do will just make it sound like a Honda...and not one of the good, fast Hondas, one of the hacked ricer ones.

ciento44
04-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Word, this makes a big difference. Cut out your cat (if its legal in your state) and replace it with a resonator, it gives the car a totally different tone. Itll change it from tinny, to low and deep.

It'll probably be lower and deeper than stock... and even the Neon that i've driven that had it done.. but low and deep wasn't a good way to describe the Neon...

Pissed off and howling would be a better description. I REALLY liked it... but i don't think that most people would...

The exact setup was a pipe staight back, with two resonators, dumping into an oval shaped side-exit. I'm trying to get pics and videos of this car, it's pretty cool.

hobbie2k
04-21-2006, 02:29 AM
My Cima was running a custom 3" pipe, with a custom downpipe, hi-flow cat, resonator, and open muffler emptying out two 2.5" tips, and it was fairly quiet in average driving, but when I opened it up it sounded mean. In sharp contrast to the car's styling.

Then again, it had a 3.0 V6 Turbo.