PDA

View Full Version : Valve timing 2TGUE DOHC (sorry if in the wrong section, but desperate)

captainbellybuster
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I've asked this question about everywhere & so far no-one has the answer. Please help if you can. My son has bought a '74 Celica & it has a 2TGUE DOHC motor. Nowhere in Oz seems to have the correct settings for the valve timing. I don't want to play any more for fear of damageing a valve. So far: set the crank to TDC on compression. Set the upper gear with mark up on TDC. Fiitted outer gear and put chain to cam gears. The cam gears have 4 holes in the front for the locating pin to go through. I started a #1 (On the left when you look from the front of the car to the back). None of the marks on the cam gears lined up to anything that I could see. Tried the 2 "cutouts" on the cams being vertical. No go! Plan 2! go to exhaust stroke & have the exhaust just closing & the intake just opening. Didn't work. Either intake was too far open or exhaust the same. Tried position 2 on the gear for the cams. Appeared same result. There must be a 1st up setting for these motors. I've fitted new cam gears & chains. (the motor had the head off when we got it. Valves have been re-seated & the head machined prior to fitting. Checked for "bright or marked links" on the chains, there are none.) The motor will run, but extremely rough with a loud "sucking" sound. Compression is 100 psi exactly for each of the 4 cylinders (tells me a valve is open for too for too long.) I have even mailed Toyota in Japn & the US. So far no result. Thinking of jumping off the nearest tall building :laugh: Hope someone can help, it's a original paint & excellent example of this great car & just frustating that I can't get it to run for him. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hiko
04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the site :bigthumbu

Tried the 2 "cutouts" on the cams being vertical. No go!

That's odd, I just did a search on google for you and found two different places say that the two notches need to be vertical when cyl #1 is at tdc.
:shrug: Dunno what to tell you.

I have even mailed Toyota in Japn & the US. So far no result.

Honestly, don't expect a result from the U.S. We got the shaft here when it came to engines, so probably no-one in the U.S. even knows what a 2TG even is.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

angryyoungnpoor
04-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Is there no toyota dealerships in your area that could perhaps guide you in the right direction?

I don't believe us american's got dim dare engines. I don't believe we'd be much of any help. Unless someone here works at a dealership and could possibly look it up.

Morwan
04-19-2006, 03:57 AM
Try some of the UK forums:
http://www.celicas.co.uk/
http://www.celica-club.co.uk/