PDA

View Full Version : Bushings, sway bar.. What else??

BlueDragon
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
bushings, sway bar... coil overs etc i know but what would you guys say are the basics for a good autocross setup?? Both for a GT 2.2 and for alltrac. Anyone with experience plz post. :bowdown:

Morwan
04-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Crash bolts for tons of negative camber, and really nice tires (Falken Azenis or Hoosier Slicks). Good tires will make the most difference. :P

Hiko
04-17-2006, 01:52 AM
and really nice tires (Falken Azenis or Hoosier Slicks). Good tires will make the most difference. :P

:stupid: :stupid:

Tires are king at autox. After that, I gave it a lot of thought, and I decided my next mod's would be 1" drop and a rear sway bar. I just raced today with the drop, and I must say the car did handle quite a bit better. Dunno how much the sway bar'll help though. I have yet to install it. Hope this helps at all.

BlueDragon
04-17-2006, 06:11 AM
cool thanks and let me kno how that thing helps, is it adjustable??? I have 1 1/2 drop and it seems to help alot.. could really use some shocks or adjustables maybe even coils but not sure if its worth it right off the bat?? only my second year racing.

Hiko
04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, the sway bar I have is the suspension techniques two-way adjustables. I'll let you know how much it helps after the next event on may 13th if you want.

Rio_Cyber
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
how smart is to upgrade only rear sway bars. i presume those cars are your dd-s also

Hiko
04-18-2006, 04:51 AM
how smart is to upgrade only rear sway bars. i presume those cars are your dd-s also

:shrug: I dunno.

If you mean how smart as in will it be bad for my car, I seriously doubt it. I have a few friends who only have upgraded rear sway bars (one doesn't have a front at all!) and their cars are doing just fine.

If you mean is it smart as in will I be realizing the full potential of upgraded swaybars, then no, I'm pretty sure it'd be better to do both. However, 1) I'm on a very tight budget, 2) rear sway bar will help a lot more than the front, and 3) I had a hell of a time finding a ST's front sway bar for the 5th gen, let alone the package deal they have for the 6th gens with the front and rear together.

88GT2GTS
04-18-2006, 05:19 AM
I would get rid of the body kit or don't put one on if you're building a car different than in your sig. You run over 1 cone (or curb if your racing on a road coarse) and there goes your kit. The body kit may also put you in a modified class that you don't want to be in. Same for an added rear wing. A guy showed up at our last event and had a wing and he had to race in a modified class were he was way under everything for that class. If you plan to autocross, the best thing to do is look at the spec's for the different classes and pick a class and do only the mods allowed for the class. One mod not allowed for a specific class and put you in a higher class than you want to be.

Instead of using the "crush bolts" (a.k.a. camber alignment bolts), I would get the aligment bushings from a 4th gen ('86 - part way thru '88) and have the steering knuckles mahcined, should cost about $90. The bushings are a lot nicer to use than the alignment bolts.