PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my ride haha

highvan
04-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Ok, i just got a 1990 Celica GT and i was wondering what all i could do to up the HP :bigthumbu It already has a cold-air intake (looks like one that was just custom made to fit it) and racing muffler on it. Any list of things would be great, Thanks B

BOBST165
04-16-2006, 04:13 AM
If you have the cash just do a 3sgte swap.

highvan
04-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Well, other then that. although, i wish i could do that

hobbie2k
04-16-2006, 06:00 AM
your best performance per dollar bet, is a 3sgte. Other than that you could give it a proper custom exhaust (not just a muffler), perhaps a better header, a high flow cat. Maybe you can fiddle with your ignition timing, to free up a couple ponies (but you'll risk blowing your motor if done improperly). Perhaps some lightweight pulleys.

Anything more than that and you'll have to start taking the engine apart and fiddle with the programming...which gets expensive quick. At that point, it's usually easier just to put a 3sgte in.

I wouldn't go much further than intake and exhaust on your stock motor. Instead, put your efforts into learning how to drive your car and improving it's handling. That's where the Celica shines.

Punisher
04-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Light weight crank pulley has been proven to actually damage your crank/bearings. There is a reason they are so heavy.

If you don't mind getting into the motor a good way to up horsepower is with a set of regrind cams.. something slightly more aggressive.. with more duration and/or lift.. But then you need to upgrade your intake manifold.. you need a larger throttle body..

Just doing cams, intake manifold/throttle body and exhaust will net you a respectable gain.

ty_44_69
04-16-2006, 06:06 AM
turbo your 5sfe

andy
04-16-2006, 07:32 AM
like he said, and i did :) till it blows then i got to lay down for a 3s. later

highvan
04-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Whats a 3sgte swap usually run? And on a 1 - 10 how hard is the swap?

ty_44_69
04-16-2006, 04:04 PM
lol.....24052.246 acceptable answer for that type of a question

ciento44
04-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Whats a 3sgte swap usually run? And on a 1 - 10 how hard is the swap?

Allow $5k for it, even though you won't spend that much if you're not an idiot.

You can get a decent engine delivered to your door for under $2k, and then you have to ad in cost of fmic/alltrac hood, depending on which you to go. Then you can either pay Dr. Tweak $350 for a wiring harness, or wade through it yourself.

In terms of difficulty, it's not too bad. The hardest part is the wiring, but even considering, i'd say it less than a 7.

highvan
04-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Where is the best place to find one? Ebay?

andy
04-17-2006, 05:33 AM
www.jarcoinc.com has some good ones

xeril
04-18-2006, 03:46 AM
whats the point in giving dr. tweek the wiring harness? why not just buy an alltrac wiring harness off of someone?

the swap isn't that hard at all. i knew pretty much nothing about cars before i started the swap, and i completed it all by myself. it was pretty much my project to learn more about my celica. hardest part was aligning the engine and engine mounts :P

if i did the swap again, the full swap would be done for just under 3grand and would most likely involve a jdm front clip. though, my current swap cost me under 2k

elektrateq
08-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Jarco is less than 30 minutes away from me :)

T-spoon
08-04-2006, 06:24 PM
whats the point in giving dr. tweek the wiring harness? why not just buy an alltrac wiring harness off of someone?

the swap isn't that hard at all. i knew pretty much nothing about cars before i started the swap, and i completed it all by myself. it was pretty much my project to learn more about my celica. hardest part was aligning the engine and engine mounts :P

if i did the swap again, the full swap would be done for just under 3grand and would most likely involve a jdm front clip. though, my current swap cost me under 2k

Why pay the cableman, why pay the plumber, why pay the fastfood people to make your food? Silly question! You pay for the convenience of not having to fuss with it yourself and have it done professionally. Not having to worry about something is hard to put a dollar value on. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to modify the alltrac harness anyway, nothing says it'll plug and play with everything on an ST184, in fact I'm about certain it won't.

90celicaGTX
08-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Where is the best place to find one? Ebay?

thats where i got mine! 1200 shipped! it wasnt to my home, to the local dealership, it was cheaper..

the only thing it didnt come with is the afm.... thats the only bad thing about ebay. make sure the harness isnt cut.. research it...

i didnt spend 2k... only $400 in parts that were needed...not performance stuff.

Cavanagh
08-05-2006, 12:27 AM
If your interested in the 3SGTE, go to the Forced Induction section and look at stickied topics, those are a load of help and reseach. Also lol one of the FAQ is what is it on a scale of 1-10.

xeril
08-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Why pay the cableman, why pay the plumber, why pay the fastfood people to make your food? Silly question! You pay for the convenience of not having to fuss with it yourself and have it done professionally. Not having to worry about something is hard to put a dollar value on. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to modify the alltrac harness anyway, nothing says it'll plug and play with everything on an ST184, in fact I'm about certain it won't.

you know what, you are correct! you have to extend about 8 wires. other than that, its plug and play with an st184. i believe its about the same amount of work as getting the CEL plug to work.. and i'm not quite sure dr. tweak does that.. but he definitely might. thats ecu to dash wiring though.. not main engine harness.

i guess if you wanna pay someone to toast your bread, go ahead! i'll just plug in the toaster, throw the bread in, and push the button down. save myself a little bit of money in the long run.

oh yeah, btw. if mine had been a USDM wiring harness, i don't think i would have had to extend anything.. the wiring harness would have all came in on the passenger side in the first place, so that stupid set of wires that plug in underneath the glovebox would have been set.

try the swap yourself one day and see how easy it is. as i said before, the hardest part is aligning the engine to the engine mounts. :)

1990CelicaGT-S
08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Stupid Question...sorry.

What exactly are the differences between the ST185 and the ST205?