PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel change

highvan
04-16-2006, 03:04 AM
I just bought a 1990 Celica GT and the steering wheel is a bit beat up lol So, i want to change it with a racing type one, but on all the ones i've seen, it has always said on the box.. Do not use with steering wheels with airbags.. and my celica has an airbag, can i still use it? and also, how do i go about changing it? I have no idea how to remove the steering wheel. Any DIY help would be great, thanks B

3sgte@daspeedof
04-17-2006, 06:42 AM
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%-----------------DISCLAIMER-------%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Do at your own risk, I can not be held responsible if you void your warrenty, or blow your air bag.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%

I'll be posting one up shortly, but basically you unhook you negative battery cable, you unscrew the wheel from the back to get the airbag cover off. * After you have the air bag off, there are a few screws to remove the wheel from the backing cover, you'll see a nut in the middle, make sure you don't turn the wheel when your doing this. Unscrew the bolt but don't take it off, or else you hit yourself when your trying to pull off the wheel. After that you can install the new wheel in the reverse order.

*sorry I can't post info on how to disconnect your airbag as I didn't have one to disconnect.

ScottGT-S
07-29-2006, 03:04 AM
hey Tech I have the airbag cover off, the middle nut is gone but I cant seem to remove my steering wheel? any suggestions?

Murgatroy
07-29-2006, 05:04 AM
You need a special tool to remove the wheel. You can get one from any parts store, most of them have loaner services.

ScottGT-S
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
no special tool needed (cept a bit o liquid-wrench) - checker out! horn works too! lol
Ill do a write up sometime, I took lots of pics during hte process.
http://members.shaw.ca/pokerrun06/mumu2.jpg
damn time for sleep lol

1990CelicaGT-S
07-29-2006, 11:12 AM
That looks good. What wheel is that?

Dan3312
07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
That looks good. What wheel is that?
I was wondering the same thing

ScottGT-S
07-29-2006, 05:21 PM
momo daytona, discontinued - made in 97! lol
http://www.autoreview.ru/tuning/num_088/wheel-08.jpg
http://www.turbobricks.com/feature/img/fall_04b.jpg

ps dont mind the blue dash, that will be fixed soon enough

elektrateq
08-01-2006, 04:27 PM
just disconnect the bag at the yellow connector. Use a STEERING WHEEL PULLER to pull it off. Just borrow one from autozone.

lavy_gts
08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Its funny I did the same thing, You actually dont need to take your cover off from what I remeber, and I think its just a 14" socket wrench will do the job to unlock the hub.

And how did you get yoru horn working, I just plugged mine in, however My horn doesnt work?

elektrateq
08-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Its funny I did the same thing, You actually dont need to take your cover off from what I remeber, and I think its just a 14" socket wrench will do the job to unlock the hub.

And how did you get yoru horn working, I just plugged mine in, however My horn doesnt work?

There's a nut under the steering wheel cover... u HAVE to take the cover off to get to it.

Just make sure u plugged your horn back in.

Oh i forgot to mention. Be careful with the piece under the wheel that spins with the ribbon wire inside it. Make sure u read the instructions on it and dont spin it around. It's only made to rotate so many times in either direction before the ribbon breaks. And makes sure the battery is disconnected so the air bag doesnt go off.

KoreanJoey
08-05-2006, 07:54 PM
damn, my hub didn't clear my ribbon cable... so I had to remove it.