PDA

View Full Version : supra, mr2 q?

ty_44_69
04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
What is the difference between:

N/A Supra, and Supra TT
MR2 n/a, and MR2 Turbo
besides the obvious like a different engine

Just wondering because if you can pick up a n/a car so much cheaper then swap engine would it not be worth it?
Just wasn't sure how much of a difference there was between the two.

Gary
04-14-2006, 02:24 AM
Scroll down...
http://suprastore.com/iamlookforsu.html

Lagos
04-14-2006, 02:45 AM
many people buy an NA mr2 and swap it. if you already had an NA mr2 or supra, then its a good option.

if your looking to buy a car and swap it, it will probably end up costing you the same amount after your swap is done, so its really not worth it. not to mention that your cars blue book value would still be lower because its technically still the base model.

Morwan
04-14-2006, 03:11 AM
I disagree-- you can get JDM 2JZGTE's for $4k-5k, and NA Supras sell for about $10k less than their twin turbo counterparts.

I don't think anyone who's doing engine swaps cares about KBB. :P

ty_44_69
04-14-2006, 04:47 AM
I disagree-- you can get JDM 2JZGTE's for $4k-5k, and NA Supras sell for about $10k less than their twin turbo counterparts.

I don't think anyone who's doing engine swaps cares about KBB.

That's what I was thinking. I've priced them out and NA is so much cheaper. I didn't think it would be that much to do swap. My only concern was what else if different on the vehicle? cpu? etc..

Hiko
04-14-2006, 07:02 AM
I once heard that the MIV supra's turbo and n/a version were the exact same suspension wise and chassis wise. Their only difference was the engine/ transmission (and I supposed rear diff would be changed as well). Take it with a grain of salt though, this is one of those "I just heard" things.

As for the mr2, I have no clue what the differences might be.

BTW, when I was trolling the supra forums, it seems that most n/a guys don't swap. They usually just add tubo kits to their car which give more horsepower than a stock swap, and have the same potential for horsepower if the block is built enough.

ty_44_69
04-14-2006, 07:06 AM
ya that was the question if the n/a engine could withstand as much. I wasn't sure the different in the supra especially. Like I have no idea, just wondering

Lagos
04-14-2006, 07:12 AM
the NA supra motor is nowhere near as strong as the turbo one. not saying you cant boost the NA one and meet your personal goals, but you shouldnt even try to compare it to the turbo 2jz. thats one of the best turbo motors ever built. ive seen one at 1000HP on a completely BONE STOCK block.

if and extra 5k will make or break you, then you probably cant afford a supra in the first place. those cars cost a lot to maintain, upgrade, insure, etc...

ty_44_69
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
ya I'm not getting one more so just feeling out the question seeing what could be done, what the diff is etc...
I have no where near the funds to do that. Maybe in the future :)

T-spoon
04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
MR2 guys looking to swap in 3rd gen motors sometimes go for NA chassis since it's a lot easier to find a hardtop NA than turbo. Most of the turbos are t-top, so they're heavier. I think there are possibly brake differences but otherwise mostly cosmetic between the two, and the brakes can be swapped over from a parts car for cheap. Some minor cosmetic differences are factory foglights for turbos, raised vents on the engine lid on turbos as opposed to flag on the NA, and as I mentioned above, most turbo are t-top.

ty_44_69
04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I see, see that I did not realize. So if you were to do swap....is it still recommended you get clip, or is it fine to just get 3sgte?
Difference between 91 to 95 MR2 is cosmetics as well? Nothing to major?

T-spoon
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I see, see that I did not realize. So if you were to do swap....is it still recommended you get clip, or is it fine to just get 3sgte?
Difference between 91 to 95 MR2 is cosmetics as well? Nothing to major?

91-92 is almost identical, in 93 they improved the suspension a little, larger wheels, and added the LSD option in the tranny, 93-95 no major changes that I can recall. You'd still want a clip for a swap, you'd basically be doing the same swap as if you were putting a 3s in a Celica, so whatever you'd need to change on the celicas, you'd need to change on the MR2s. If you're looking for a north american MR2 clip, I'd look for a 93+ with the lsd tranny.

ty_44_69
04-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I see. You think it's worth it to spend a little more for turbo or do the swap?
I don't think the price diff is that much for MR2, I know it is for Supra though

spoon check pm