PDA

View Full Version : Raced a Camaro, and Jetta

Waffle
04-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I raced a base model 1997 camaro(auto) the v6 ones, and I raced a 1997 Jetta GLX V6(Manual). Anyway I lost both of the races. It was pretty much dead even coming out of 1st and 2nd but when we hit third they would just jump ahead. I was really suprised that they didn't beat me by alot more, 2 cars for the jetta and the front of my bumber was on the back bumper of the Camaro's. I knew I was gonna lose, but I was suprised I kept up with them so well. We raced in this business district around 9:30 so there weren't any other cars, it was all good.

RafaCalde
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
what did you shift at. depending on the RPM that you shift at and how fast you shift. obviously shifting takes time, even though it only take a fraction of a second, it's still time being lost and time that the car isn't making any power. it's kind of expected from the auto camaro. but not bad staying within 2 two cars.

Punisher
05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Well remember they were both V6's... reason I point this out is they have more torque.. So they probably pulled on you in the higher gears because of that..

Like the Jetta.. it's a tiny V6.. but because it's a 6.. it has a lot more torque than HP I'm sure.. so it's able to pull stronger.

Not to mention the fact that they both have more hp than you.. but the camaro's are fricken boats.. horrible power/weight ratio... and the Jetta.. well.. um it's german engineered? I'll take jap over jerry any day... even though I do love the fatherland.

ciento44
05-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Those Jetta GLX, if manual, are no joke...

The camaro... please.

I would almost bet that with the simple addition of a TWM shift kit or something, you'd at least tie the 'Maro. The 2-3 shift in our cars is terrible.

T-spoon
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Well remember they were both V6's... reason I point this out is they have more torque.. So they probably pulled on you in the higher gears because of that..

Like the Jetta.. it's a tiny V6.. but because it's a 6.. it has a lot more torque than HP I'm sure.. so it's able to pull stronger.

Not to mention the fact that they both have more hp than you.. but the camaro's are fricken boats.. horrible power/weight ratio... and the Jetta.. well.. um it's german engineered? I'll take jap over jerry any day... even though I do love the fatherland.

That's kinda backwards isn't it? Having more torque is mainly an advantage when you're putting something motion, IE: off the line. Once you're rolling and in higher gears, more horsepower is going to be more of an advantage. Against the auto camaro, I'd say there'd be a gearing advantage and likely a torque-weight advantage in favor of the Celica (I'm sure someone could do the math on that if they felt like it, not having the numbers in front of me.. meh). Having more horsepower is actually where you'd see the v6 camaro pull ahead. Probably a similar story with the Jetta.