PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass hatches

Punisher
04-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Would anyone be interested in fiberglass hatches for the 5th gen? I am considering making them.. sorta looking to see who might be interested.

I'm thinking about pricing in the mid to upper 500 range.. and another 100 dollars would add a lexan window.. other wise you'd have to remove your glass to put into the fiberglass hatch.

The weight of the hatch alone with out glass is 42lb's. The glass weighs 43lb's if I recall correctly.

The weight of the fiberglass hatch w/ glass would be roughly 52-53lb's.

Weight with a lexan window would be roughly 20lb's

Lexan is not DOT approved though. So that would be a show/off-road use only. That is my disclaimer.

So if you would be interested in purchasing, let me know.

angryyoungnpoor
04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
I love the idea, though Carbon fiber would be cooler. I've never seen what either would look like in a homemade fashion.

500 would be pretty cheap if it's done right.. All the seals for the windows, and the lights also. Lot's of fabrication if you want the lights to look right.

If you can do it, then do it. I"m sure it'll be a lot of work though.

Punisher
04-12-2006, 05:30 AM
There is no lights on it.. The only thing on the exterior is the washer nozzle, wiper motor armature and the spoiler...

Then the window gets secured to the hatch with 3m Window Weld Urethane.. just like stock setup..

It's fairly simple.. just sorta large scale.

I'm not perfectly set on that price yet, I've yet to make one. I just wanted to judge the interest.. I plan on making one soon.

Once you paint it, it'll look stock.. nothing fantastic about it.. except the fact that it weighs half the weight.. or with the lexan window, even less.

jason
04-12-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm tempted to say I'm interested but I don't know exactly how far I want to take the FF platform. That'd be one of the last mod's I'd purchase. Even if I don't buy one, I'd like to see how at least one turns out. Do it! .....now

GT4SOM
04-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Intresting, if you're up for the challenge I would say atleast do one for your GTS punisher. If this can fit/look 100% stock, count me in!

slvrblt
04-12-2006, 11:07 AM
There is a thread about getting carbon fiber hatches done on alltrac.net http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12322

Punisher
04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Yea.. except they want I think ti's gonna be like 700+ for it..

I'm going to make one.. for my car.. see how it goes.. I'm a perfectionist at times.. so this thing will be damn near perfect that much I can say.

vip09
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
to drop almost sixty pounds! that would be awesome. id def like to see one made. sounds like a great idea. later

ScottGT-S
04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
60lbs saved? yes I definatly want one

3sgte@daspeedof
04-13-2006, 01:18 AM
show me some fiberglass/carbonfiber front bumper & some GTS fenders, and i will worship the ground you walk on :D

angryyoungnpoor
04-14-2006, 03:39 AM
show me some fiberglass/carbonfiber front bumper & some GTS fenders, and i will worship the ground you walk on :D

RC front bumpers are plastic as it is, and weigh all of 5 pounds. Take the stock support bar and stock bumper off and put the RC on and you're saving about 30 pounds.

Punisher
04-14-2006, 04:13 AM
I could do fenders..

Right now I'm doing a "feasability" test (LOL) for the hatches.. ahaha.. oh god that cracked me up.

Yea, I just gotta find some quality fiberglass resin and I'll get started on this.

More to come.

cms-gt4
04-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I am curious to how this turns out. If you can build something strong enough to hold the glass, that shaves off that much weight, I might be in. I am concidering the cf hatch and lexan for race days and keeping my stock setup for daily driving, but having something that could act for both would be worth concidering.

ty_44_69
04-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I could do fenders..

Now if you could do fenders I would be interested. My driver side is starting to bubble my paint. I just painted the other year and I know they will only get worse. If you could make them to fit great, just like everything else discussed above I would definately be interest.
If you get that rolling you should start a company and make these all the time. Start your own body kits, widefenders M3 style ahhhhh. You got something good going here, good luck!!!!