PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a bike for summer...

angryyoungnpoor
04-11-2006, 06:39 PM
So.. with these high gas prices I've been thinking about getting a crotch rocket. I've been looking into CBR600's, but I'm not too sure on what to look for, what things like.. F1, and all them numbers mean.

It'd be my first bike, I want something fun, yet something that I'm not going to kill myself with, and something that gives me good gas mileage.

My budget would be 4 grand-ish, so something 4 or 5 years old would probably work for me.

Yeah..

Morwan
04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I was in the same position last summer, but I got my Celica instead.

Stay away from the 600's, those things are pure race bikes... Have you taken the MSF yet? You should probably look into it, the classes fill up pretty fast.

I'd go with a Suzuki GS500E or a Ninja EX500. The CB750 Nighthawks from the early 90's/late 80's are also pretty sweet. You might be able to get a Suzuki SV650 on that budget, but I doubt it.

Colossus20v
04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I bought a 600 for my first bike. I took the MSF course, but had prior experience. Just be careful. Basically, try to get something as new as possible and read consumer reports. Make sure you check on the condition, such as the tires, chain, sprockets, and fork. Hopefully you'll find something pretty decent. I paid 4 grand for my 99 ZX6R in 2004. Bike only had about 4k on it and it still runs nice. I wouldnt get carb'd though.

GTinvader
04-11-2006, 08:13 PM
ok question. on average, is insurance higher lower or about the same as a car?

angryyoungnpoor
04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I like the 600's. I don't want something slow, but I don't want a hyubusa or a CBR929. I'd like to keep it 600 and less.

I deffinately need to look into insurance, though it'd probly be under my dad's name. I'll be taking the course. Do you need a bike in order to take the course?

I may raise my spending limit.. Just get financing or something. I just don't like the fact of premium gas at 3 bux plus a gallon, and getting 20 mpg with a turbo car.

I guess the best thing is to look on forums and such. I've got a buddy that's got a friend that works at a dealership, so we might be able to hook something up.

Morwan
04-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Unless you're planning to be regularly racing 600's or Hayabusas, a EX500 or GS500E is plenty fast. Both of then run high 12s and make it to 60 in less than 4 seconds. The problem with 600's is that they're not very forgiving, so small mistakes can result in serious problems.

Try looking at the SV650- they're faster than a lot of the 600's, but they're pretty forgiving. The riding position is supposed to be a lot more comfortable, and they're considered 'Sport Touring' bikes, so insurance won't be too bad.

You don't need a bike to take the MSF course. Taking an MSF also lets you skip the skills test to get your license. (Liability) Insurance is actually pretty cheap, it'll probably be around half of what you're paying for your Celica. Full coverage will rape your wallet.

angryyoungnpoor
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
So it would make since to pay liability then. Paying 2 grand a year on full coverage wouldn't make any sense if the bike only costs 4 grand..

I'll see what happens. I want a pretty bike. One that doesn't make me look like a shithead.

Thanks for the info.

I'd love to track the bike. I'm sure I'll auto x the celica once it's got a decent setup.

Colossus20v
04-11-2006, 10:59 PM
i got my bike when I was 20 and I pay $50 a month for full coverage and about $57 for my celica. Thats with no accidents and State Farm. I agree with Morwan when he says 600's are not very forgiving. Just take it easy until you are used to it. Just respect the bike everytime you get on it. An SV650 is a really nice bike. I'd definitly look into it. Also you have to consider what you will be hauling. I usually have just a book bag with me. Which sucks because you cant get anything big.

angryyoungnpoor
04-11-2006, 11:34 PM
i got my bike when I was 20 and I pay $50 a month for full coverage and about $57 for my celica. Thats with no accidents and State Farm. I agree with Morwan when he says 600's are not very forgiving. Just take it easy until you are used to it. Just respect the bike everytime you get on it. An SV650 is a really nice bike. I'd definitly look into it. Also you have to consider what you will be hauling. I usually have just a book bag with me. Which sucks because you cant get anything big.

I don't really plan on hauling anything around. That's what the car would be for. I could use a bookbag if need be done. 50 a month isn't bad at all. So many things to consider. I think I just need to get on a bike to see if like them.

slvrblt
04-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I have my motorcycle insurance through Dairyland and I got 10% off for the MSF course and another 10% for being a member of a rider's group( AMA, BMW MOA, ect...) My insurance for my motor cycle is just over $600 a year for full coverage. My motorcycle is a 2006 BMW F650 GS wich is a dual sport and last tank I got 65 mpg.

angryyoungnpoor
04-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Now comes the tricky part of convincing the parents to let me get one.

Apparently they're dangerous, and dangerous to others. I've never been in an accident, and I haven't gotten a ticket in a year and a half. I'm more than safe... grr.

xeril
04-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Unless you're planning to be regularly racing 600's or Hayabusas, a EX500 or GS500E is plenty fast. Both of then run high 12s and make it to 60 in less than 4 seconds. The problem with 600's is that they're not very forgiving, so small mistakes can result in serious problems.

Try looking at the SV650- they're faster than a lot of the 600's, but they're pretty forgiving. The riding position is supposed to be a lot more comfortable, and they're considered 'Sport Touring' bikes, so insurance won't be too bad.

just to let you know, the suzuki gs500s' run mid 14's. definitely not 12's. anyway, i do agree with the choice of the sv650s'. i was totally into the gs500s until my friend totally talked me out of it. if you look around, most people get them as starter bikes and get tired with them in little over a month or two. i've never owned a bike, only ridden two bikes in my life: some 250cc yamaha race dirt bike and an sv650s. the sv was easier to ride than the dirt bike actually.

sv's are great starter bikes. definitely quick enough to kill yourself if you aren't careful, but they handle like mad through the twisties. they run like low 12's/high 11's but top out at like 140.. sooo, it'd keep you entertained for a while :) and with some insurance companies, you can get small bike insurance with an sv650.. sooo definitely check it out. and the new sv's are fuel injected :)

slvrblt
04-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Now comes the tricky part of convincing the parents to let me get one.

Apparently they're dangerous, and dangerous to others. I've never been in an accident, and I haven't gotten a ticket in a year and a half. I'm more than safe... grr.
The thing that you have to be woried about is what other people on the road are going to do. I had a guy just the other day cut me off in a traffic circle. Also a guy that I went to school with just lost an arm and a leg in a motorcycle wreck, it was a hit and run by a drunk driver.

andy
04-12-2006, 06:22 PM
yo man i had the same idea, got my mom convinced it was ok, my dad on the otherhand, my mom would show me daily in then newspaper, "man dies on bike" etc etc. ive had a coulple of dirtbikes. i had like 2 grand saved up for a down payment. then my dad found out i was actually gonna get one and pulled the "im not gonna pay for your college if you get one of those. i was alil mad. then my friend VIP over there bought a damn alltrac and weve been working on that eversince. also used that 2 grand to put the turbo on the 5sfe so it wasnt all bad. now i got a boosted celica!
later

angryyoungnpoor
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I guess it's pretty much all in knowing how to drive. Stupid shit happens to stupid people. Bikes are little enough to manuever out of situations, but also little enough to get you into shit. If someone's comin' into your lane, ain't it easy enough just to.. get over? I don't plan on racin' through traffic. I guess for now I should just see how this car is going to handle. If I get this job, I'll be driving 40 miles both ways.. being on a bike would be great for that.

It's all very hypothetical. Maybe the people will revolt and gas will go back to a dollar a gallon.

Morwan
04-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Good gear makes a huge difference... I bet 90% of the guys your parents will talk about weren't wearing full gear when they were hit. Good gear can turn a lethal accident into one you'll ride away from. Make sure to budget for it, you should expect to spend at least $500.

andy
04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
heard that!

slvrblt
04-13-2006, 12:25 AM
All of my riding gear cost just over $1,000 that was for boots, pants, jacket, gloves and a helmet.

DAcraZarmAdilloZ
04-13-2006, 11:08 PM
onedownfiveup.com is a good sportbike forum. Ppl there are pretty cool and helpful with any questions you have. Read through the 'paddock' posts there's some good random info there about maintaining your bike once you get it, things to look out for when buying used, etc.