PDA

View Full Version : leaping with joy!

aballz
04-11-2006, 09:01 AM
So today i picked up my brand new(used) 1992 Celica GTS. I must say i'm happy! I just wanted to share that with you guys. It has the System 10 sound system in there. But there are a few minor problems with the car that i'd like to get everyone's opinion on. First the radio when turned on has a high pitch squeal sound. The lights that power the radio sometimes turn off. When they're off i'm unable to change the channel or tune the radio but i still have control of the volume and on/off. The speakers on the door (the two 8 inch woofers right?); the driver side is out and but passenger's is still working (yay for me!). I believe the engine is mechanically sound. I do have another question though. Is the temp guage when the car is warmed up and running supposed to be so close to the midpoint of the gauge? Any input on what is wrong with the radio is welcome. I thank everyone for reading this!

ciento44
04-11-2006, 09:22 AM
The temp guage is fine.

As for the radio... i don't know much about System 10, sorry. :(

Congrats on the purchase.

aballz
04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks. Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

Dan3312
04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
My only guess is that the radio is old. I've had two Celica's with the System 10, neither CD player would out put as much as they're supposed to both had at least one door woofer blown. My opinion, get a CD player and the full install kit to bypass the amp (your deck will send more power to the remaining 8 speakers as the System 10 amp is only 220watts and most decks are 4x50 = 200w) But that's just me I know others will disagree, but it's up to you.

aballz
04-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Boy am i learning new things. So my car has a mind of its own. Today the radio worked fine, all lights on and no weird noises. The map and dome light works. But it wasn't working too well yesterday. Yesterday i had to press really hard for the map lights to turn on. It almost feels like parts of the car hasn't been used for awhile and it needs to be used more often to work efficiently lol. I'm thinking loose wires somewhere...any accessible areas where i could check to see if the wires for the interior lights and radio are loose?

david in germany
04-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase.

System 10 stereos are nice when they work!
you probably have a bad connection from the fece plate to the guts of the radio. What you can try is when it is getting finiky push the faceplate in to see if it lights back up. I can't remember if it is a ribbon cable or a pin card connection but I am leaning more to the pin connection. just put pressure on random positions on the face to see if that helps. If not I will pull the face off of the one I have to verify.
David

aballz
04-12-2006, 09:30 PM
The radio was working today and i put a cd in. It was going good until i hit a pretty big bump then the sound pretty much went away and the lights went off. Now i can't even go back to the radio and the only sound the deck makes is this high pitch squeaking sound. Almost like a bird that keeps chirping but higher pitch. I've tried to put pressure on the face and different locations but no help there. Where can i access the wires for the radio?

david in germany
04-13-2006, 06:53 AM
you will need to remove the radio to access the wires.

aballz
04-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Is there an easy way where i can just pull the radio out or should i refer to the BGB''s to attempt that?

VikingJZ
04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
First take off the shift knob, then the trim piece around the shifter and knob, then undo the two screws holding the radio trim on. Next step is to get the radio and cup holder assembly out. there are four screws holding these in. Undo those and slowly pull the assembly out and undo any wires that are necessary.

aballz
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I pulled it out and checked the wires. Everything seems to be fine and the radio isn't acting up anymore! whoopie for me! Well i'm still preparing for the worst. What's a website where i can get the harness just incase i need to install another deck?

Dan3312
04-16-2006, 01:13 PM
I got my harness from WalMart. Should be easy to find. Anywhere that does car audio should be able to at least get one for you if nothing else. I think it was like $10CND or less for it. You need to get an install kit too, give you a little pocket to fill the hole and stuff.

aballz
04-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Oh so its not a hard to find item? That sounds great. Maybe i can go to target or something and find that pocket thing just incase. This is the second day in a row where the stereo is working without problems.. Unfortunately I turned up the volume too high last night and i think my last woofer is starting to crack. Has anyone tried putting 6.5 speakers up front where the woofers are supposed to go? I have 2 spare speakers but I know the bass probably won't hit as strong. But I'd rather put some type of speakers up there for now just to replace the woofer slot.

alltracman78
04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Just wait and put a set of THIN 8s.
You can put the 6.5s in the rear.

alltracman78
04-17-2006, 02:16 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4495

Here, this should answer most of your questions.

aballz
04-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Wow lots of info in that thread. Thanks for the link. I don't exactly know too much concerning sound systems but do those 13 dollar subs fit in our doors? What is our maximum mounting depth?