PDA

View Full Version : Awd To Fwd

88 silicar
04-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Can anyone tell me what this meens:-
MR2 turbo differential (open, OEM Toyota VLSD, aftermarket LSD)

And this:_
1 set of inner MR2 axle with passenger axle carrier (get LSD inner axles if going with the OEM Toyota MR2 turbo VLSD unit).

Bob

Morwan
04-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Both of the output shafts will always rotate at the same velocity with an open differential. LSD's allow for a limited amount of velocity difference. In the case of a viscous coupled LSD, the resistance of a viscous fluid is used to limit this amount. Other types of LSDs typically use some sort of clutch which engages to limit slip.

Are you converting an Alltrac tranny to FWD?

88 silicar
04-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Yeh, Ive got an AWD box from an ST 205 that i want to convert to FWD. I read Torns thread on that mod, He made it sound pretty easy to do.
In my case i have never done it before, but, im pretty good at figuring things out. I just dont know what id have to ask for when i buy the parts.

2.2-Past you
04-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I am in the EXACT SAME situation. Yet my problem is a little different. I am in need of those crucial AWD > FWD conversion parts.

I am looking to buy IMMEDIATELY the following:

-MR2 turbo (LSD) differential
-MR2 differential cover.
-Speedometer drive for the differential (not mandatory, as I understand)
-1 set of inner MR2 axles (LSD subaxles) with passenger axle carrier

if anyone has or knows who has these laying around, I'll turn them into cash, please email: whyamimelting@yahoo.com

Punisher
04-07-2006, 06:20 AM
If you don't find anyone selling that stuff, call up 1sttoyota

www.1sttoyotaparts.com

I believe.. The differential w/ case was like 230.00 bucks..

88 silicar
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Im taking a different path now. I went out and bought a E153 box out of a Camry V6 today.These boxes are pretty rare here in Aust so i was pretty lucky to find one. Now i have to try and find Camry Axle inner stubs.

Punisher
04-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Heh.. I was just callin 1st toyota for the differential and casing.. and they gave me these 2 numbers

41301-12070
which was a 561 dollar unit..

then this number which he said looked like a completely different differential..

41302-17020
which is 227.00

He also told me that the first part number, 561.00 dollar one is for a 92-95 MR2.. which.. I don't understand that..

Anyone shed some light on this? Does this unit go INSIDE of the alltrac tranny or is it external??

So i'm confused.. some help please.

88 silicar
04-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Its got me stuffed as well. The first part looks to be the lsd diff. Didnt he tell you what the part number related to. Go With the E153 box man, Bolts straight up to your engine, But, You will have to get Camry inner axle stubs. I had a quickfit using my old SX (GTS) axles but the spline on that box is further inside the box than the standard SX box. I may be able to mod the shafts so they fit further in. Anyway go the E153 I paid $300 yest for it here in AUST. You should get it for the same or less.
Bob

Punisher
04-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Uh.. Is it LSD? If not.. I don't want it.

88 silicar
04-08-2006, 08:37 AM
You might want to ring toyota and find out info on the part codes you have.
I have spoken to a few tranny places here and they all said the E153 box is a strong box. But, if you want LSD and you have to have LSD, You get the LSD. Depending on your engine power and your tyres (and the way you drive), You might have trouble keeping it on the road.

mtp_69_i
04-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Depending on your engine power and your tyres (and the way you drive), You might have trouble keeping it on the road.

what do you mean by that? LSD should help keep it on the road by reducing tyre slippage, right?

SuperWhite92
04-08-2006, 09:05 AM
depends on the kind of LSD. A real LSD limits slip, as the name infers. A quaife, however, is really an ATBD, a Torque-Biasing Differential. What it does is send power to the wheel that has traction. In a high power FWD car, the result is that you're amplifying torque steer by sending more power to the wheel that is inducing the torque steer in the first place. As a result, wheelspin and power force the driver to wrestle the steering wheel like a well-greased bear. It's actually fun, but very scary too. Keeping a car (personal experience: 500whp Taurus SHO) in one lane at full throttle is very difficult.

mtp_69_i
04-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Interesting. So this form of LSD takes the torque from the spinning wheel and gives it to the wheel that still has traction, right?

unlike the mechanical LSDs that use a cam to operate clutch plates that progressively lock the output shafts as the differential wheel velocity increases.

500whp Taurus!!! Those things look crap (imo :D) but 500whp is something to be respected. my hat goes off to you :)

Punisher
04-08-2006, 12:26 PM
the SHO was awesome. Simply because ford had nothing to do with the engine.

Dan3312
04-08-2006, 12:57 PM
V6 Camry tranny is very strong and actually has better syncros so I'm told. They are pretty rare but I'm told if you can find one, buy it and get a LSD for it. Personally I'm going the MR2 Turbo LSD tranny route just because it was easier to find.... not cheap though. $900 (Canadian) For the tranny and axles (no outters because I don't need them) Now I just need a set of All-Trac axles to make hybrids and the shifter linkage from a ST185 tranny.