PDA

View Full Version : Shift gears!

ty_44_69
04-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I've watched a few videos of guys shows there tach in 5sfte and 3sgte.
Why are guys always shifint at like 8/9 k rpm???
If peak power is at 6 or 5200 why drive it way past redline? What sense does that make? I hope this thread is in the right section.......it is to do with racing!

SNapper
04-05-2006, 01:36 AM
if u shifted at 6 where u peak power is then u would end up at like 4 something with no power

Celicaguy13
04-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Usually if you see someone going up to 9 k then, it's not stock. It probably has cams to move power up top and a EMS.

ciento44
04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Depends a lot on the engine, as was said.

I know that ATS racing will make piggy back ROMS per whatever specs you want. So... if you want your engine to rev to 9k rpms, and the engine will take it, have at it. :)

ty_44_69
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
hmm interesting. How could just a piggy back allow you to rev that much higher without doing internal dmg. ??? Not quite sure how that works. I understand cams and that, but not piggyback.

T-spoon
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
hmm interesting. How could just a piggy back allow you to rev that much higher without doing internal dmg. ??? Not quite sure how that works. I understand cams and that, but not piggyback.

Well basically all that stops you from revving as high as you want is any electronic rev limiting and the engine's ability to take it. A strong, balanced engine built with revving high in mind can move your safe maximum RPMs, so whether it's safe to move your "rev limit" higher depends on how the engine is built.

Dan3312
04-11-2006, 03:36 AM
I know if you do a shimless bucket conversion (valve shims) on the 3SGTE they are safe to at least 8k rpm. I'm also told a 3rd Gen would pull well past the 7300rpm rev limit and having gotten a ride in one, I have to agree 100%

Morwan
04-12-2006, 02:30 AM
If peak power is at 6 or 5200 why drive it way past redline? What sense does that make? I hope this thread is in the right section.......it is to do with racing!

If you shift at redline, you're going to be making more power when your revs drop down. Think about it- why would you want to shift when your car is pulling the hardest?

BlueDragon
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
yeah its all about where your going to land on the next shift, especially without a turbo to keep that power band you gotta land as high as possible so you red-line. This is an age old debate keeps coming up but its pretty simple...

ty_44_69
04-17-2006, 03:10 AM
BlueDragon free up some space in your PM. I was gonna PM this to you but it's full so here it is:

If you look at pics of my car you'll see I have clears all up front! I've been running plasma blue bulbs but all my colours are off. I looked at your car and I saw the orange and it inspired me to do the same....seeing as how stock was orange, but clear corners looks SICK. either way I was wondering where you got the orange bulbs for your corners? I can't find them anywhere.

BlueDragon
04-17-2006, 06:15 AM
The bulbs came with the lights... did you clear your corners yourself?? Ive got stock ones and I think yours look so much better... Ive been thinkin about goin to blue too but the cops leave me alone with clear or orange... Ive gone to clear for now and took the bulbs outa my corners cause i dont like the stock orange its nasty... lol but the orange bulbs look kinda cool so whatever you like i guess.

RafaCalde
05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
as long as your valve train can take it, you can rev to whatever you want. if you're worried about the bottom end, just put in some arp head studs, MLS headgasket, ARP main and rod bolts and that should be it. i've talked to guys that have done that and their engines just scratch it off like nothing happened.

Punisher
05-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Don't even tell me that the fricken stock 3sgte can't handle 8K shifts with out an issue....

I used to run my 4af to 7400! I had a moderate set of cams in there so it was making power up to 7400.. but a few times I ran it all the way up to 7400.. no problems..

Of course, you keep doing that.. and you may want to look for some new/better valve springs atleast..

ty_44_69
05-11-2006, 10:45 PM
The bulbs came with the lights... did you clear your corners yourself?? Ive got stock ones and I think yours look so much better... Ive been thinkin about goin to blue too but the cops leave me alone with clear or orange... Ive gone to clear for now and took the bulbs outa my corners cause i dont like the stock orange its nasty... lol but the orange bulbs look kinda cool so whatever you like i guess.

I bought my corners from procarparts.com
but they don't have them listed anymore, I don't think. They only have the turns signals. No one ever bothered me with my bright white (bluish tint) corners, but they burn out all the time so I just replaced them with orange, and I like it a little better.
I love my corners though they look sick!

BlueDragon
05-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I have cleared my corners since... used some "chrome" spray but its so much duller then the bumper lights.... and I have the same problem with the white bulbs im using... all different hues and crap it pisses me off. I think ill go back to orange again probably. BTW your car looks great and nice work on that paint, look at those water beads on the hood i bet that things slicker then a babies ass lol...