PDA

View Full Version : So yeah I'm the new guy.

Fleck
04-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Hey y'all. I'm 23 and I've been getting into cars a lot over the last couple of years. The first car that got me stunted was a 91 ST, automatic and bone stock... really fun to drive regardless and I had big dreams for it. Shortlived dreams. I spent 1200 on it and an old roomie drove it into a tree. So then I spent 1200 on a 91 Golf and drove it like hell til it overheated and the engine blew. I found a 91 ST manual with a sunroof for 800 bucks around the way, and jumped on it. Now I'm learning to drive manual (yeah, the cluch was already on it's way out) on my 2nd Super White 91 ST except it's a little better (aside from 200K vs 120K mi and a small oil leak) because of the stick and the roof of course.

Cheap pic:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8836/number203069tf.jpg

Future mods:
ACT Clutch kit
Eibach Prolines on KYB GR2s
Crossdrilled rotors with Red Stuff
K&N drop-in
Headers + high flow exhaust

That's all I'm doing. It's nice but it's an ST. In the future I'd like to have a 99 (6th gen or bust!)... parked next to a 96 Supra :D

Well anyhow, nice to make everyone's acquaintance!

Morwan
04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't do cross-drilled rotors. Cross-drilling only reduces braking power and hurts the structural integrity of the rotors.

It's definitely nice to see another 5th gen around.

Colossus20v
04-02-2006, 06:53 AM
welcome. Your plans are realistic and should prove to be benefitial enough for you. Sounds great and Im glad you decided to pick a celica again.

Fleck
04-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys. Can anyone suggest a good muffler? I'm planning on using headers, and have two setups, my stock one 'for the street' (sitting in the garage for emergencies), and then the new setup including a gutted cat with custom piping straight to a high-flow muffler. I'm thinking this is the best way my high-flow system will bolt right on and off, and instead of running a suspicious looking setup I can just get a cat and gut it for the new setup. If you'd like to lecture me about catalytic converters and the law or environmen, please don't.

angryyoungnpoor
04-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. Can anyone suggest a good muffler? I'm planning on using headers, and have two setups, my stock one 'for the street' (sitting in the garage for emergencies), and then the new setup including a gutted cat with custom piping straight to a high-flow muffler. I'm thinking this is the best way my high-flow system will bolt right on and off, and instead of running a suspicious looking setup I can just get a cat and gut it for the new setup. If you'd like to lecture me about catalytic converters and the law or environmen, please don't.

HEADER!! Sorry, we don't have "V"4's. Mufflers.. It really depends on size. I wouldn't go much more than 2.25" on an st motor. As far as gutted cat and such.. I won't be running a cat on my swap. I could care less. The binefit from an st with a gutted cat.. maybe a couple horsepower. NOthing you'd acutallly notice.

The GR-2's are wonderful I love mine, especially paired with Falkon Azenis and Megan Springs. I can take turns like a bad ass.

Cross drilled rotors serve no performance purpose. Their more of a "Ricer" effect. If anything get slotted, and if you like the look of drilled and slotted, then get those. I don't think they really make the brake a whole lot worse, but they definately don't improve the handling.

Fleck
04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I just don't see how I could put a header and exhaust upgrade on a car and leave the cat which is 100% backpressure. You're saying only a couple horsepower but I've heard everyone gets a noticable boost from a cat removal. I won't be able to tell because I'm not going to test the upgraded system with a cat.

This is the first place I've heard to diss the holey rotors. Simply because they're difficult to find and I don't even think Powerstop makes them anymore, I guess I'm just gonna go with regular Brembo high quality rotors.

Has anyone used EBC? Just to save 50% on the pads I was thinking of just using EBC's "OEM Plus" line instead of the Red Stuff, it's like $30 vs $60. I honestly don't feel like going crazy on the braking power yet anyway, I just want the feeling of smooth and strong braking as opposed to wait and catch up braking.

Lagos
04-02-2006, 09:24 PM
welcome to the site!

Fleck
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I just placed my order for replacement Brembo rotors, the EBC OEM Plus pads, and the K&N drop-in. I hope it'll be pretty smooth.

Fleck
04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
And I read around about gutting cat and found out it's not really useful to even remove the cat but I'll do good with those headers and muffler for sure.

ciento44
04-03-2006, 05:46 AM
If you REALLY want to have some fun.... have an exhaust shop around you do a full custom exhaust.

Go there, strip the interior, take the liscence plates off the holders, and just tape them to your windshield and rear window. Tell them it's a car for track use. Off road, if you will.

2.25" straight back, no cat, get two resonators, and do a flaired oval tip side exit exhaust. It'll sound like nothing you've ever heard before, and you may actually feel a difference. My friend just got this done on his 1995 Neon ACR with some other mild engine mods, and it's absolutely ridiculous. It's not a rumble, at all, definitely not low pitched, but it's anything BUT buzzy and ricerish. It doesn't wine, it doesn't burble, it HOWLS.

Oh, WARNING: don't do this if you ever want to hear your stereo again.

Anyways, welcome. :) This site is a large wealth of information.

mtp_69_i
04-03-2006, 06:56 AM
I'd love to be there when Plod defects that car for being to noisy...

Ciento's mate - "sorry WHAT???"

Plod - "I said, yer car's too noisy, we'll have to defect you"

CM - "You'll have to speak up, I'm a little deaf, the car, ya know? *grins*"

lol, just kidding C. I'd love to get a proper custom job and have that fucked up 2 litre racing car scream!

ciento44
04-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Defect? Is there another word for that? If it has to do with legality... there is no such thing in the state where i live... No emissions, either... no real inspections... If your turn signals work, and your brakes will stop you, you're set to go in the glorious state of Indiana.

I'm doing something pretty similar to my car shortly after some other big things happen this summer... but in a 3" piping size. :)

I'm trying to get my other buddy with his 1997 Neon ACR to do it, too. He's got a radically different set up than the one that i posted though. Gets his block back this week....

Dynoed @ 294/282 with 2 detonated pistons. Untuned, which is what caused the detonation.

He's got the block coming back, better pistons, standalone management, new turbo off of a Cummins TurboDiesel (twice the size of the old one), LSD, new tranny, and hopefully new tires coming.... Which should all take a healthy chunk off his quarter mile from the old low 12s with dead engine and bald all seasons. :)

That thing with a custom exhaust like that would be amazing sounding. I'll see if i can't get a sound clip and/or video of the 1995 ACR that's already setup, though.

david in germany
04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Fleck, Welcome to the site!
As a ST Owner I have to go against the gutted cat thing, Why? Because I have done it and it does not add any additional power to the 4a-fe. I have also done the header thing (from the 4a-fe corolla) I have also done the Iceman intake. none of them really helped the st without doing a good head job. save the money because all of those mods together on the st will not be noticable. Toyota has set up the 4a-fe for ecconomy not for performance and it would take major work to change that. The best bang for the buck I have ever got was after a fresh tune up. New NGK's, K&N, fresh Mobil 1, and make sure you are running toyota red coolant. The ST is capable of almost 140mph stock if you are not held back by the computer but it is no monster on take off.
David

mtp_69_i
04-03-2006, 08:50 AM
In Australia, the police (Mr Plod) can suspend your registration if they deem your car is not roadworthy (defective). The police can defect your car for a variety of things from bald tyres, too dark tint, noise (stereo, exhaust, BOV etc) and much much more.

Needless to say, an effectively straight thru exhaust would not last too long on the streets of Adelaide *sigh*

ciento44
04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
In Australia, the police (Mr Plod) can suspend your registration if they deem your car is not roadworthy (defective). The police can defect your car for a variety of things from bald tyres, too dark tint, noise (stereo, exhaust, BOV etc) and much much more.

Needless to say, an effectively straight thru exhaust would not last too long on the streets of Adelaide *sigh*

Ah, ok. Gotcha. Yeah... sounds like California, but not quite as strict.

I'm running open header right now, and i don't even get a second glance from cops around here.

Fleck
04-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Some states, fortunately, are spending their time worrying about the truly important things. Like... I dunno... crime, maybe. That's a good one. It's not like we have enough fukken crime here in PG county (it's only higher than DC's!). It pisses me off. A couple dudes from Florida were at the MVA talkin about how down there inspection is a $15 joke, registration is $20 over the mail, and there is no such thing as emissions. I am moving to FL! :)

As far as the 4AFE not being soupable... I guess I'll just have to get a high flow muffler so my car at least SOUNDS fast, LOL!

ciento44
04-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Do a 4" dual tip exhaust, straight back, with a couple cherry bombs. If it's not gonna be fast, may as well piss some people off. :p

xeril
04-06-2006, 12:58 AM

sounds like fairfax county, virginia... :( :( :(

Kingsoup
04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Hello! My opinion, save up your money for maintanince issues. Keep the car in good shape with brakes and upgrade only if you are replacing maintanince items at the same time.

Perhaps get an Intake? makes cool noises and not to expensive. If you want best bang for the buck, get some GTS rims with some good used tires, really improve your handling if you are on crappy rubber, help braking, handling dramatically.

Honestly, don't spend to much on upgrades, if you want to upgrade, save up and buy a faster car, like a GT or a GTS, or a 99 later on like you want! Enjoy having a reliable car for a while, I think you might appreciate that!