PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal

CruisinIL
01-06-2005, 04:34 AM
mine periodically sticks down when my car is on and im holding it at the friction point, any answers as to why? im told my master cylinder needs replaced, looking into getting this done sometime soon, or is it somethin else?

Hooligan
01-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Are all of the springs on the clutch pedal assembly intact? Have you bled your clutch line? Are there any visible leaks in any of the sections of clutch line? Do you have a sufficient amount of fluid in your master cylinder?

Free/cheap checks should always come before replacing parts.

CruisinIL
01-06-2005, 05:03 AM
i really dont know much about it, i dont know where the clutch line is, or where the master cylinder is, could you tell me where or post a pic perhaps?

Hooligan
01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
My car is stored for the winter. If it wasn't, I could get you some pictures.

The master cylinder is mounted to the driver's side of the firewall, tucked down a bit. It will have a cap on it similar to the one on your brake master cylinder (black rubber/plastic). It will have a single metal line running off of it that snakes along the firewall for a bit which is connected to a rubber (flexible) line, which in turn is connected to another hard line that is attached to the transmission. The second hard line ends at the slave cylinder (mount on the front of the transmission case).

Basically, the master cylinder displaces an incompressible fluid down the line to the slave cylinder, where the extra fluid causes a piston that's connected to a rod to move. This rod moving will engauge/disengauge the clutch. Air is far more compressible than liquid, so the clutch pedal will feel very spongy, among other things.

Hooligan
01-18-2005, 12:07 AM
CruisinIL asked me via PM to give instructions on bleeding a clutch hydraulic system. This process is very similar to the process for when you do brakes, but you need to start with the longest brake line when you do brakes.

You will need to make sure you have an ample amount of extra fluid, a buddy, and some rags to catch the fluid that will come out of the line. With you under the hood, have your buddy pump the clutch pedal a few times and then hold it to the floor. Quickly open and close the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, but do not let all of the pressure out of the system. If this happens, air bubbles may enter the line and you will have to start over. Repeat this process until the fluid coming out runs clean and has no bubbles in it. Take care to ensure that the master cylinder remains full of fluid. If it runs out, you will introduce air to the system and you will have to start over.

Good luck!