PDA

View Full Version : Need a tiny bit o help

4thgenceli
01-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm building a box for my 4th gen celi(duh).
It's a liftback model, and i have 2 fosgate 10" punch P2 speakers. I pulled this off their site.

Sealed box -

Recommended Volume (Cubic Feet) - .65

Ported box -

Recommended Volume (Cubic feet) - 1.0

Which is better?? that's per speaker right?? That means for a sealed box, it would need 1.70 cubic feet for both of them??

And would it be a good idea to use 3/4 inch plywood to build the box? or what kind of wood/wood product should i use??

Thumpin00gts
01-05-2005, 11:55 PM
The best material to use to build your own box would be 3/4" MDF(medium density fiberboard) As for which, sealed or ported, is better...sealed is easier to build, easier to make sound right. Ported must be tuned and is a bit more picky to get sounding right but it can get louder than a sealed box. As for the box size... Either make seperate boxes for the two speakers or make one box but with a divider so that they're not sharing the airspace. The reason for this being, if one of the subs blows you dont want the other one having to deal with a box way too big for it. Oh, and dont forget to compensate for the volume of the rear of the sub itself. By that I mean if the sub takes up .2 cubic feet of space in the box and you need .65cubic feet, build a box that has an internal volume of .85.
-David

Blackcloud
01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
use mdf. since you never built a box before id suggest sealed. and id prob make it like 1.2cubic feet. make sure you get it SEALED tight too. and use lots of screws

RubberDuckie
01-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Port your box. For hatchbacks, point your subs up toward the hatch, and your ports face toward your truncks rear wall at the very bottom of the box