PDA

View Full Version : How illegal is this?

R K e 1 C A
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Seen this while browsing Craig’s List

Question One: Would jail time be involved and/or felony charges (highly likely)
Question Two: Does it work i.e. Police Scanner or is it a Tornado 1000+ HP deal

Info:
===> Change red lights to green lights (you WANT one of these) - $275
Reply to: sale-143463402@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-03-20, 5:02AM PST

Bought these at a closeout (dealer went out of business). These units are all BRAND NEW! We have a very limited supply. Here's your chance to get one. They are usually "restricted sale" items. Email if interested and we'll make arrangements for payment and shipping (they weigh about 5 lbs packaged). From the original sales literature ...

Portable:
CHANGE STOPLIGHTS FROM RED TO GREEN IN SECONDS! For the first time, a traffic light changer that is practical, mobile, AND compact! "MIRT" can be securely positioned on the dash or inside windshield and moved from vehicle to vehicle with no installation required. Just plug it in and go! Its unique infrared technology emits no visible light, making it discrete and eliminating any distraction to the driver or other vehicles in the vicinity.

Powerful:
Do not be fooled by MIRT's compact size. Emitting 15 watts of energy (more than any other portable traffic light changer) MIRT changes traffic lights from red to green in 2 to 3 seconds from more than 1500 ft.

Reliable:
MIRT is manufactured by a trusted name in the industry with more than 15 years experience. All electronic components and assembly are top quality, and every unit is tested to ensure endurance, dependability, and safety. It is perfect for the heavy duty use and is backed by a 10-yr. warranty!

Economical:
The technology of MIRT is not only "breakthrough", it is by far the most price-efficient signal changer available...costing less than half of any competing product.

Pics:
I:
http://www.streetinsanity.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core:DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16044&g2_serialNumber=1

II:
http://www.streetinsanity.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core:DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16046&g2_serialNumber=1

T-spoon
03-25-2006, 02:25 PM
That is just.. a really inexplicably bad idea. Bad bad idea.

4thgenceli
03-25-2006, 02:42 PM
How the FUCK does that even work? Only time I see lights change by hand is when a cop is sitting at the control booth with a WIRED remote IN THEIR HAND. I claim TOTAL bullshit, and have half a mind to show that to the local authorities in whatever city that is.

Lagos
03-25-2006, 04:34 PM
looks like a total scam.

Morwan
03-25-2006, 06:12 PM
They work by emulating the signals sent by emergency vehicles. You ever notice how lights always turn green for an ambulance? Does pretty much the same thing.

Dr.Auto
03-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Exactly Moran. They are highly illegal. You can get a sitation for impersonating a emergancy vehicle........ jail time? Don't know, probibly depends on where you're from.

If you pay attention fire truck and ambulances have a "stobe" light type thing on top which signals the stop light to change. On top of the stop light is a little tiny box with a tube facing traffic, that's the sensor. Signaling from a car might not be possible because of how high the sensor is.

That's why there is a min and max headlamp mounting hight as deamed by the DOT. And it's a big issue with the 4x4 crowd. It's especially illegal to use roll bar lights on the raod, and most other lights other than head lights are considered for off road use only. Because believe you me (and don't ask how I know this) using roll bar mounted lights by flashing them on and off really quick when coming up to a stop light does the exact same thing. That's why most guys put covers on the roll bar lights, so they can't get accused of using them on the road.

hobbie2k
03-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Exactly Moran. They are highly illegal. You can get a sitation for impersonating a emergancy vehicle........ jail time? Don't know, probibly depends on where you're from.

If you pay attention fire truck and ambulances have a "stobe" light type thing on top which signals the stop light to change. On top of the stop light is a little tiny box with a tube facing traffic, that's the sensor. Signaling from a car might not be possible because of how high the sensor is.

That's why there is a min and max headlamp mounting hight as deamed by the DOT. And it's a big issue with the 4x4 crowd. It's especially illegal to use roll bar lights on the raod, and most other lights other than head lights are considered for off road use only. Because believe you me (and don't ask how I know this) using roll bar mounted lights by flashing them on and off really quick when coming up to a stop light does the exact same thing. That's why most guys put covers on the roll bar lights, so they can't get accused of using them on the road.

I've heard the same thing, too. But as I understood it, it's just a strobe set to a specific frequency range. It's not like a radio transmitter.

creech_r
03-27-2006, 10:49 PM
^i also heard this...but i've also heard that's the 'old' system and that they were using a non visible light source now.

Refyused
03-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I've heard of those before and seen them for sale on "underground" sites, which specialize in selling stuff to the public that's meant for private/gov't/emergency use only. Of course they aren't popular sites.

From my understanding those do work though. I dunno about the whole strobe light effect, though it'd make sense considering the phrase "these are the things that used to be in ambulances to change red lights to green" is used in most descriptions for those type of items? Used to? I guess that could mean they have that new strobe system now.

Bad idea though, I've heard of people being arrested for getting caught using those.

Tommy91GT
03-28-2006, 08:07 AM
You can change lights at night just by flashing your headlights on and off high beams when coming up to a light. Yes it's illegal, and in Bmore MD its a $250 fine.

acidice333
03-28-2006, 08:23 AM
They go green for me when I approuch at night (:

T-spoon
03-28-2006, 10:46 PM
They go green for me when I approuch at night (:

Well some lights switch to sensors at night. I have one near my house that turns the cross traffic to yellow as soon as I hit the sensor, during the day it sits on a timer. I like those setups. I also like the places that have flashing yellow after like 10PM for all major roads and flashing red for all side streets. Wish Houston did that.

Ferret
03-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Gah...I thought all this was pretty common knowledge by now.

Those machines that turn lights for you are illegal to BUY. As far as I know they're not illegal to use.

And as far as flashing your lights, snopes pwnz you: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/strobe.asp

xeril
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
flashing your lights on and off does not work at all. not sure how you got that idea stuck in your head.. its a specific frequency..

"There have been some concerns that unauthorized people may have obtained devices that can trigger light preemption. The original 3M Opticom pre-emption system was activated by a 14 Hz strobe light added to the light bar of fire trucks, ambulances, and squad cars. When the sensor senses the 14 Hz strobe signal, the pre-emption is activated. Unfortunately, the 14 Hz "secret" was discovered and MIRTs (Mobile InfraRed Transmitters) hit the market — basically a 14 Hz strobe with an infrared filter installed on it, making the light invisible to the naked eye and police officers. Legal opinions on this vary. 3M has developed an encrypted Opticom system, however, the original traffic signal sensors (as well as the vehicle mounted emitters) must be replaced. Cities that already spent quite a bit of money purchasing the original Opticom system are now weighing the cost vs. benefits of upgrading to the encrypted system."