PDA

View Full Version : Look mommy.... no crank pulley..!!

Luis C
03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Yagh... this car is turning into a money pit. I had the front shocks and some minor electrical nuisenses sorted out at the beginning of the week, and right when I'm on my way to pick up my fiancee from work the damper on the crank pulley decides to pull an Elvis on me and dies. They pulley itself is somewhere on the freeway, all that was left was a black goo doughnut and the V-belt hanging from the alt pulley :thumbsdow

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/lcarocha/Pulley.jpg

creech_r
03-24-2006, 11:08 PM
shit...so the rubber party of your harmonic balancer decided it was going to go on spring break also. Did it mess anything up on exit?

Luis C
03-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Just my wallet and maybe the some minor paint chip in the engine bay. As far as I could tell this evening everything is ok... hell I could even drive the car to the mechanics shop some 16 kms away

creech_r
03-25-2006, 10:41 AM
yeah, that belt doesn't drive much, nothing vital for a 15 min trip...might want to charge the battery a smidge though.

Punisher
03-25-2006, 08:04 PM
I lost it on my old car.. corolla..

Lesson Learned for me? Never turn the crank counter-clock wise by the bolt..

caneman
03-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I lost it on my old car.. corolla.. Lesson Learned for me? Never turn the crank counter-clock wise by the bolt..
Let's touch on that one for a moment. I saw that warning while I was replacing my timing belt.

The question is: WHY? Why does turning your crank-pulley counter-clockwise cause problems? Can anyone explain the problem?

Punisher
03-28-2006, 04:59 AM
um.. which way do you turn a bolt to loosen it? Since it takes torque to rotate the crank, even when the timing belt is off.. that torque is enough to loosen the crank pulley bolt.