PDA

View Full Version : st204-st205 conversion confirmation

T-spoon
03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Interesting coincidance, one of our long-time customers called yesterday to check status on an order. I had just happened to see a CS hood and 6g gt4 hood sitting in the back, turned out to be his. Got to talking a bit and found out the st205 hood was for the conversion he bought from a guy in Florida. He said it was a bit of a mess when he got it but it's doing well now. Just thought it was interesting. Sounds completely legit (had no reason to lie to me the way the conversation went). Not sure what the CS hood is going on, but he buys a lot of supra and celica parts. Think he's in CO somewhere. Anyway, I remember the big dispute back when Mina posted about what is probably the same car. It seems like the car really does exist and does work properly. Say what you want, I think it's an interesting idea and still our only good option for a 6g over here. I also think it's a good example of how closed-minded our community can be sometimes. Questions like, "Can I make my celi AWD" get pretty nasty replies instead of providing the information. Sometimes I wonder if people act that way because they can't or won't do it themselves, so they don't want to see other people doing it. Eh well.

/rant

Lagos
03-17-2006, 05:45 PM
moving to General Discussion

the black converted one was bought by a member of this forum who also happens to own a red supra. i tired to get him to post some pics of it, but he never got around to it .

there is also another silver one on 6gc.net that just finished getting converted (or so he claims). his dad has good fabrications skills, and at least one member visited his garage to see the work in progress.

so, its totally possible, but at the same time, a very risky project. you could end up with a car that is a death trap, if its not done correctly.

T-spoon
03-17-2006, 08:43 PM
moving to General Discussion

the black converted one was bought by a member of this forum who also happens to own a red supra. i tired to get him to post some pics of it, but he never got around to it .

there is also another silver one on 6gc.net that just finished getting converted (or so he claims). his dad has good fabrications skills, and at least one member visited his garage to see the work in progress.

so, its totally possible, but at the same time, a very risky project. you could end up with a car that is a death trap, if its not done correctly.

Sure, just like with any modification, especially concerning the body.

Punisher
03-17-2006, 10:48 PM
It aint very difficult if you happen to have a GT4 rear clip...

When you think about it, if you are good at welding.. and cutting.. and have a good condition rear cut.. all you gotta do is cut the ass end of your bitch off and weld the GT4 rear end on.. Do some extra bracing through out the body.. etc..

Do you have to chop into the firewall for the tranny tunnel?

If I had the cash I'd get an alltrac.. and then have an MR2 as well.. that's the ideal setup :)

I'm not a very big fan of AWD tho.. If you live in a place that gets a lot of weather.. specially snow/ice it's a good deal.. but if you live in mild climate it's not really worth it.

Also another thing to think about is slippage.. if all 4 wheels are gripping.. and you are laying down a lot of power.. you run a very high risk of another component in the driveline breaking.. Like a gear in the tranny.. etc.. I don't know how common of an occurence this is in the alltracs though.

I still prefer either FWD LSD or RWD LSD..

I'd sooner make a celica RWD LSD than AWD.

T-spoon
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
It aint very difficult if you happen to have a GT4 rear clip...

When you think about it, if you are good at welding.. and cutting.. and have a good condition rear cut.. all you gotta do is cut the ass end of your bitch off and weld the GT4 rear end on.. Do some extra bracing through out the body.. etc..

Do you have to chop into the firewall for the tranny tunnel?

If I had the cash I'd get an alltrac.. and then have an MR2 as well.. that's the ideal setup :)

I'm not a very big fan of AWD tho.. If you live in a place that gets a lot of weather.. specially snow/ice it's a good deal.. but if you live in mild climate it's not really worth it.

Also another thing to think about is slippage.. if all 4 wheels are gripping.. and you are laying down a lot of power.. you run a very high risk of another component in the driveline breaking.. Like a gear in the tranny.. etc.. I don't know how common of an occurence this is in the alltracs though.

I still prefer either FWD LSD or RWD LSD..

I'd sooner make a celica RWD LSD than AWD.

Well, even in warm climates there's rain, traction is traction, honestly. My alltrac was a blast to drive year-round here in Houston (except for really hot days), they're tanks, with all four wheels going and that weight keeping them planted. I'd take my mrS any day in a tight spot, but for simply taking on the road, cruising, and whatever weather threw at me, the alltrac was better. Comparing the alltrac to my 94 gt is just not fair. Combining the 6g and the alltrac would be .. the gtfour, so of course. DSMs have trouble breaking things, alltracs really seem to hold up well. I'm not sure what all Pat Chinsue has broken, but I don't recall anything major in the driveline. AWD is only any kind of detriment at all when you need to be as light as possible and don't have the power to spare. I would have been driving a 6g alltrac for years now if we could get them here in any kind of reasonable fashion. The conversion is really a tempting prospect. In a couple years I may have the flexibility to have the 94 down as a project, we'll see.

Punisher
03-18-2006, 12:58 AM
The 6G AT is really fine lookin if you ask me..

Driveline setup is a personal preference I suppose.. my buddy loves AWD.. but not me really.. it's just added weight n what not.

SuperWhite92
03-18-2006, 02:13 AM
It's Kostas. He's still working on getting the car 100%

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:04 AM
hey there! hey david right? ya that was me! jeff said ill have the hood and bumper here on wednesday!!! ok well i did post pics but they are crappy, and before i cleaned it up a bit.. i can post them if you want lagos. i think i did and we agreed that the pics suck lol

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:06 AM
o and to answer the question... no you dont have to cut anythign for the driveline to fit... here ill show you.. our cars have the full tunnell there already!!!

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
http://22psi.com/images/gt4/Picture%20003.jpg

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:11 AM
http://22psi.com/images/gt4/Picture%20002.jpg

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:11 AM
http://22psi.com/images/gt4/DSCF0659.JPG

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 04:13 AM
and a pic of my sp63 progress on my supra :) i know its off topic but i love looking at that pic:) (taken with camera phone sorry)

http://22psi.com/images/carpics080805/testfitsingle.jpg

Punisher
03-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Dude WHERE did you get those brake rotors?!

iburnslabs
03-18-2006, 09:06 AM
they are stock ST205 brakes :) 12.6 i belive? or am i wrong?

Punisher
03-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Man where the hell do I get those puppies?!

Luis C
03-18-2006, 08:39 PM
ST205 rotors will fit any fifth gen but you have to modify the caliper bracket and some other thinggy to make it fit right... and yes... bigger wheels

Punisher
03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Well I'm running 16" rims.. so that should fit those calipers/rotors. Modifying the caliper bracket isn't an issue..

Now I just gotta find someone in a country that got the 205's to get me those calipers :)

Lagos
03-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Well I'm running 16" rims.. so that should fit those calipers/rotors. Modifying the caliper bracket isn't an issue..

Now I just gotta find someone in a country that got the 205's to get me those calipers :)

you cant just bolt those brakes up. his car is fully converted to a GT4 with the suspension of the GT4. its the only way to get those brakes on .

iburnslabs, thank u for FINALLY posting some damn pics! if you can, try to get a better camera and do some more close ups of that rear and and how its mounted. it seems from the one pic that all they had to do is fabricate that big black bracket.

Punisher
03-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Um.. what do you mean you can't just bolt them up? I thought all you needed to do was fabricate a bracket..?

Lagos
03-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Um.. what do you mean you can't just bolt them up? I thought all you needed to do was fabricate a bracket..?

they dont bolt up because the hubs and suspension are totally different in a real gt4 then they are in a celica.

a custom bracket would be pretty difficult to make, not to mention costly. you would probably be better off getting a big brake kit from a 3rd party.

Punisher
03-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Um, the big brake kits are like 2G lol..

That plus my buddy owns a machine shop.. so making the brackets won't be an issue.. could even CNC them out of steel..

But if it's that much different than a just custom making a bracket.. it's probably not worth it.

I got the front brakes off of this 91 AT I'm parting out.. so I'm just gonna stick those on..

iburnslabs
03-19-2006, 03:37 AM
lagos is right im pretty sure they wont fit becuase of the hubs being different but im not sure.... anyways.. you say you need to find someone with a 205... well they never made them here! so you will have to outsource to the UK or japan like i do to get brake pads and such. let me tel you guys...... i NEVER thought it would be this hard to get replacement parts for this thing. it takes forever and they are super expensive.. my god its fun tho~! jeez getting a set of performance brake pads is like pulling teeth and the rotors from toyota are like $250 each lol. and yes lagos im sorry im so busy this year i havent even been on the board all year.. but i will take pics with my REAL camera and get some stuff up once i do the gt4 front bumper/hood etc.. next week

~Kostas

iburnslabs
03-19-2006, 03:47 AM
and usually for a used set of these calipers rotors and set up is usually like a grand... and thats with used parts and usually needing resurface and new pads... you can get a big brake kit for $1500 bolt on and ready to go usually.. not too sure what they have for the 5th and 6th gen celis but i know i can get a 14.1" kit for the supra for like $1700

punch
03-19-2006, 05:38 AM
is that black 6g car in south FLA

iburnslabs
03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
used to be.........

iburnslabs
03-19-2006, 08:45 AM
o yes and t~spoon , the RC hood is going on my buddies 1993 ALLTRAC that he is putting quite a bit of work into.

Punisher
03-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Ahh.. I figured the shit would be expensive since it can't be obtained here.. Oh well.

T-spoon
03-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Ah, cool, never knew you were on this board. Then again, I wasn't around for some time, so that's not too shocking :hehe: Annnnnd.. more pics please :D

iburnslabs
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
ya i did a TON of postings on celica.net before it got switched. i had like 2k posts on there lol, but not a whole lot of action here. im just so damn busy i dont have time to work on my car forget about posting! but yes i am going to get some good pics (snowing now) and i WILL post them :)

scothaniel
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I think you guys missed something here:

ST205 rotors will fit any fifth gen but you have to modify the caliper bracket and some other thinggy to make it fit right... and yes... bigger wheels

5th gens are able to use the 205 calipers / rotors with a little machining. You need to thread the bolt holes on the Celica's Hub and machine the rotors from 330mm to 300mm (could be wrong on the measurements, have to look it up).

The 6th gens need the hubs and suspension to run the 205 brakes.

Well I'm running 16" rims.. so that should fit those calipers/rotors
16's are VERY hard to fit with those brakes. I have 17" SSR GT1's and they barely cleared the caliper.

iburnslabs
03-20-2006, 09:49 PM
ya the stock st205 rims BARELY clear the rotors because they have a weird offset, i have 17's and they clear fine

Punisher
03-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Bleh.. can't find the calipers anyway..

punch
03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
i know a guy who got them down here i can give you a number...

iburnslabs
03-22-2006, 03:59 AM
hey punch does he have a parts car? or just them brakes??

SuperWhite92
03-22-2006, 06:54 AM
I know of front panels, a TRD suspension, and possibly brakes here in colorado if you're interested. PM if so. From a 205 clip, but he's got the rear suspension as well.

Aracheon
03-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Interesting coincidance, one of our long-time customers called yesterday to check status on an order. I had just happened to see a CS hood and 6g gt4 hood sitting in the back, turned out to be his. Got to talking a bit and found out the st205 hood was for the conversion he bought from a guy in Florida. He said it was a bit of a mess when he got it but it's doing well now. Just thought it was interesting. Sounds completely legit (had no reason to lie to me the way the conversation went). Not sure what the CS hood is going on, but he buys a lot of supra and celica parts. Think he's in CO somewhere. Anyway, I remember the big dispute back when Mina posted about what is probably the same car. It seems like the car really does exist and does work properly. Say what you want, I think it's an interesting idea and still our only good option for a 6g over here. I also think it's a good example of how closed-minded our community can be sometimes. Questions like, "Can I make my celi AWD" get pretty nasty replies instead of providing the information. Sometimes I wonder if people act that way because they can't or won't do it themselves, so they don't want to see other people doing it. Eh well.

/rant

The CS hood? Ohh... wait, you mean these things... :D

http://gallery.aracheon.com/rcbumper.jpg

http://gallery.aracheon.com/rchood.jpg

I know what they're going on. :hehe:

http://gallery.aracheon.com/albums/alltrac/IMG_1431.jpg

iburnslabs
03-24-2006, 02:35 PM
dont mind my messy garage lol :)