PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GTS Suggestions Please...

fyathyrio8
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
As the title implies, I have a 2000 Celica GTS. I currently have done no modifications to the car, but am now looking to start little by little. I need some suggestions as far as what to do first. Keep in mind that I am not a millionaire and that I intend to keep her naturally aspirated. A lot of people start off with two things: intake, and exhasut. Do these two things give the best bang for your buck though? I am a novice and would like to learn as much as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

=cJ=
03-13-2006, 10:41 PM
AFAIK yes, a decent exhaust's a good place to start, as is intake.

Intake is an interesting one, as it seems it will have less effect on a N/A car then a chuuurbo. However, still a good mod as long as you do it cheaply enough.

Have a look at here (http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/) for some interesting stuff about pod filters.

ciento44
03-14-2006, 03:32 AM
i/h/e FTW

Edicius
03-14-2006, 03:52 AM
First off, don't spend $200+ on an AEM or Injen intake. Not worth it. Get a replica off eBay and buy a nice filter. 7th gens also have a pretty good aftermarket for headers and exhausts. The Apexi Power FC is a good idea too, http://elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9248 shows pretty good results with just intake and the power FC.

fyathyrio8
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Who wants to buy me one? They are almost a thousand dollars from what I have seen -- not exactly cost effective. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing... Any other suggestions that wouldn't send me to the homeless shelter for food? An intake will help some, but not much. Come on guys... a little help...

T-spoon
03-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Who wants to buy me one? They are almost a thousand dollars from what I have seen -- not exactly cost effective. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing... Any other suggestions that wouldn't send me to the homeless shelter for food? An intake will help some, but not much. Come on guys... a little help...

Don't want to sound trite, but honestly, performance is simply not cheap, especially for low displacement NA cars. There is not really anything cheap you can do to the car to make it significantly faster. I/H/E and PFC are about as cheap as you can do. You can make the car handle better for reasonable amounts of money, and that counts for more anyway IMO.

hobbie2k
03-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Don't want to sound trite, but honestly, performance is simply not cheap, especially for low displacement NA cars. There is not really anything cheap you can do to the car to make it significantly faster. I/H/E and PFC are about as cheap as you can do. You can make the car handle better for reasonable amounts of money, and that counts for more anyway IMO.

Trust the guy with the Honda, we know what you 2zzge people are dealing with.

There is no such thing as cheap performance. There are lots of little things that you can do that will help, but you'll end up having to trade things like comfort, utility, driveability, or even reliability in order to make them work.

My suggestions for cheap performance:

Keep the car as light as possible. i.e., no big stereo equipment, no wings or huge bodykits, or big chrome wheels. If you're really desperate, you could remove (or at least unhook) the A/C system and/or the power steering. Or you could strip your interior.

Keep the intake charge as cool as possible. You can do this by using a good intake with a heat shield and heat wrap around the pipe. Perhaps you can heat wrap the header as well. There might be insulating intake manifold gaskets you can get. You might also be able to bypass the throttle body coolant line (that might just be a Honda thing). Perhaps use a lower temp thermostat, and make sure your engine bay is well vented (don't try to suck more air into the bay with a body kit, instead, try to get hot air out with a few intelligently placed vents).

Of course, every one here has mentioned the intake, header, exhaust, PowerFC stuff. Those are about your cheapest options for power increase.

Probably the best method towards an all around performance increase (short of improving your driving skill) is better tires.

Other than that, all I can say is don't pretend your car is a drag racer. It's not. Your car is at home on a mountain pass where handling rules. You should appreciate it as such.

Celicaguy13
03-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Here's what i'd do...

Intake: Ebay 2 peice cold air intake+ Bluebomber Mod = $25 Blue Bomber Mod (http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112681&highlight=blue+bomber+mod)

Header: Stock Ported Header, been proven to be the best gain and "Cheapest" too. $150 Ported Header (http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204266)

Exhaust: Look for a Good Used or if you want to spend the money on a TRD Exhaust... Sounds really good "from experience". ~$350. Trd Exhaust (http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202371&highlight=trd+exhaust)

After all those mods which will come up to $400-$500 "which is pretty good for a Great I/H/E setup. You should consider a PFC in the future. After you dyno tune it, you should be seeing 180-190 whp with all those mods.... But trust me!!! YOU NEED TO IMPROVE YOUR DRIVING SKILLZ!!!
So many GT-S owners cannot drive their cars and i've seen them at the track hitting 15.8's and even in 16's!!! If you don't know how to... Learn how to Land Lift on the 1-2 Shift "Above 6200k" and your on your way.

On my car GT-S I only had a "Ebay B.B.M." Intake and Trd exhaust and got 170 Whp and was able to hit a 14.8 with a slipping clutch.

Just have fun and take your time! If you rush, you'll make modding Stressful and not fun. My final suggestion also is to start from the back to the front, "E/H/I", because you'll get the most expensive out of the way first and I believe that you'll make the most of your modds this way.

These mods will save you lots of money rather then spending..
Intake:AEM $200-250
Header: Trial $300+
Exhaust: Pretty much anything new that won't sound like a honda. $300+