PDA

View Full Version : F1 - Bahrain - Season Opener

Trance4c
03-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Anyone else watch the race?

I'm a hardcore F1 fan and have been awaiting the start of the season like a squirrel for nuts. haha. I was not impressed with the idea of going to v8's for this season, but was plesantly impressed to see testing times by the v8's where actually beating some of the lap records held by he v10 cars. The loss of power has been off set by a better overall balance of the car and less rearend traction issues.

Well.. enough whinning. The race was on today.. we welcomed the new Toyota Midland team, Toro Rosso team, and Supra Aguri team to the sport. Some of these are old teams like Jaguar, Minardi, Jordan just sold and remade.

The qualification system is now a new setup as well, drivers now compete on track with one another turning fastest lap times in a knock out system. The slowest 12 are knocked out and the top 10 are let to refuel for whatever race strategy they want and run for the top 10 spots. The later 12 of the grid are also let to refuel for race strategy after qualy. This system proved very fun to watch and it was a Ferrari 1/2 start (sadly...).

The start of the race was like any other, a lot of battling until the field settled down a bit. Poor Nico Roseburg was hit in the first stage and is a new commer to the sport after being a GP2 champion. His first race and he still finished 7th in a points paying position. I would have liked to see what he could have done if he wasn't taking out in the early stages. In the mean time, a great battle was going on between Micheal Schumacher in his Ferrari (the F1 248) and championship defender Alonso Fernando (the RS26). All the while a LOT of position changes were being made in the field, Honda looked strong in Jenson Button but eventually fell off the pace. The Williams team with the new Cosworth powered cars looked very strong and the Toyota's failed to impressed with a massive failure in performance back in the high teens spots (so much for having the largest F1 budget, Toyota looked like crap). Amazingly Kimi Raikkonen in his McLaren started at the back of the grid in 22nd spot due to a mechanical suspension failure in qualifying marched back to the front of the race (still some 20 seconds down on 1st and 2nd) to take 3rd place on the podium! The fight between Schume in his Ferrari and Alonso in his Renault was only overshadowed by this great drive put in by Kimi. (Ron Dennis then after the race made a press announcemend saying "Kimi can leave when ever he wants, I can hire a new driver tomorrow" ... WHAT?!? Are you stupid, Kimi is awesome! Ron's a homo). The race between the front runners of Schume an Alonso came down to the last pit stop. Alonso had a bit more fuel in the car and stayed out to pit after Schumacher. When Alonso came out of the pits it was neck and neck between these two going into turn one. The commentators and others proclaimed that Schumacher would hold 1st but I yelled at the TV for Alonso to fight for it! Don't let that damn Ferrari take another win again, and so they both dove into the turn wheel to wheel interlocked and Alonso held his inside line. Amazingly Alonso stayed in it and fought to back off Schumacher and held the lead to the end of the race. It was a great result, Alonso finishing 1st defending his title, Schumacher in 2nd in the new Ferrari obviously looking much better than last year and Kimi in the VERY fast and to be watched for McLaren.

Dr.Auto
03-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Cool. I am interested in F1 my self but don't follow it too closely because Schumacher seams to be the champion no matter what, and the races have become almost predictable but for a few accidents. I should start following it again however. I would be interested in knowing what the new technical rules are and what the specs are on the chasis and engines. Throw me a link or please expound on these....thanks!

Luis C
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I missed out the season opener. :rant: :ar:
Got home at 5:00 AM on Sunday and the race started at 7:30 AM, put the TV timer on, got to see the start but I was way too sleepy to follow wholse thing, TV off by 8:05, slept till 10:30.

Still trying to catch the replay on TV

nuclearhappines
03-13-2006, 11:32 PM
one of the last races last season i watched the mclaren mercedes do exactly what you describe... i think ferarri won that race (by a landslide) .. he was some 40 seconds ahead...but towards the end the mclaren was pushing so hard he was recording some of the fastest laps of the day...coming up from 13 or os and ending up 5th i think ...

i know ferrari is very consistent with it's qualifying/finishing ... but that mclaren/kimi is sometimes scary to watch... i wish he would qualify better because i KNOW he can put a hurt on some of those other guys...

i'm not just saying this because i won a mercedes now... kimi really moves when he wants to... if his team doesn't recognize that...and cant get him into a strong enough qualifying position to allow him to seal the deal then they really have no clue what they have...

d1alltrac
03-14-2006, 10:57 AM
i missed it but caught the highlights.

speaking of kimi, didnt he like come all the way from the back of the field and finish 3rd or something in this race?

Trance4c
03-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Cool. I am interested in F1 my self but don't follow it too closely because Schumacher seams to be the champion no matter what, and the races have become almost predictable but for a few accidents. I should start following it again however. I would be interested in knowing what the new technical rules are and what the specs are on the chasis and engines. Throw me a link or please expound on these....thanks!

Well, a lot of rules are follow over from the 2005 season. Raised front wings, pulled forward rear wing assemblys, height restrictions on the underbody rearward deck plates, etc... etc. For 2006 teams are switching from the 3.0L V10 setup to the 2.4L V8 setups. Instead of 900hp, the V8's are around 700hp. (Though V10s are still allowed this season, just with intake restrictions) The torque curve is very different as well now without variable intake trumpets and a few other mechanical regulations. As for sporting regulations, last year in 2005 tire changes were not allowed, but they are back now for the 2006 season. Tire changes can be made during pit stops. 7 sets total are allowed for any grand prix weekend. A good link is the one in my profile, F1live.com or Formula1.com both are good resources of information and objective to a commercial consumer fan stand point. There are industry news letters and websites, but most of those read like a VCR manual unless you are really into this sport.

one of the last races last season i watched the mclaren mercedes do exactly what you describe... i think ferarri won that race (by a landslide) .. he was some 40 seconds ahead...but towards the end the mclaren was pushing so hard he was recording some of the fastest laps of the day...coming up from 13 or os and ending up 5th i think ...

i know ferrari is very consistent with it's qualifying/finishing ... but that mclaren/kimi is sometimes scary to watch... i wish he would qualify better because i KNOW he can put a hurt on some of those other guys...

i'm not just saying this because i won a mercedes now... kimi really moves when he wants to... if his team doesn't recognize that...and cant get him into a strong enough qualifying position to allow him to seal the deal then they really have no clue what they have...

Actually.. Ferrari failed to impress last year, they were off the pace and had a horrible season. Not one win (except for the farse that was Indy, but I don't count that) for Ferrari. I think they are back in consistency though this season and much faster, but its going to be a race among a lot of teams and drivers this season I think.

Kimi did make an amazing feat like that last season as well, the MP4-20 and MP4-21 cars are a natural evolution of each other and I think we will see a lightning fast McLaren again on the grid this season. Your right though, Kimi needs reliability and if he can't get it nor the support from the team at McLaren, he should be thinking of going elsewhere! Rumor is, he will be going to Ferrari this next year as Micheal Schumacher exits. This is still to be seen, and I personally dunno if I think thats true. Either way though, Kimi does not have a contract in place for next season, and he can not afford to jump to a lower echelon team.

i missed it but caught the highlights.

speaking of kimi, didnt he like come all the way from the back of the field and finish 3rd or something in this race?

Ya, read my review, its all in it.

Mr E
03-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Looks like a straight fight between Alonso, Shumie and Kimi. I live in hope that Jenson Button can actually win a race or two, but he's looked promising for the past few years and not delivered.

KoreanJoey
03-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Kimi is a problem for team Mclaren, they know how far the car can go before it breaks but Kimi just over does it. That's the problem. It's not that he's not fast it's that he's unruly.

Mr E
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Kimi is a problem for team Mclaren, they know how far the car can go before it breaks but Kimi just over does it. That's the problem. It's not that he's not fast it's that he's unruly.

Were you watching a different season last year. Kimi is one of the most analytical controlled drivers out there....