PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase and a few new questions

Broken
03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey guys...Ive been reading up on here for a couple days now. I've had nothing but VWs since i was 17. I need a change. From looking around Ive noticed the 2.2L isnt great for making power...but I havent seen any posts on handling charecteristics...any info? does anyone track these cars? Im looking at a 90 GT-S and wondering what I need to be looking for as far as rust areas and what not.....VWs have lots of hidden rust, toyotas the same? Understeer? oversteer? whats the weight distribution? is around 180WHP likeley with head work and ITBs? any info on the stock management system? thanks in advance for any help.

angryyoungnpoor
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
180 whp would not be easily made seeing as it has about 100 whp stock. If you want 180 whp, get a 3sgte engine.

I don't track my car, but I deffinately love the handling of my car. I have aftermarket springs and struts though. I'm sure sway bars and such would help even more. I'm sure it's heavier in the front, as there's not much to the rear. The best thing for you to do would be to test drive the car to see how it reacts.

Rust areas. I have no rust on either of my celica's. I can't help with that too much. Some people seem to get it along the bottom like most cars, but wheel wells and such seem fine.

Broken
03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks man...Ive been looking potential swaps but i cant find info on the harnesses....with VWs wiring is a big thing and its posted everywhere.

I've driven it, and it pushes a bit in corners....I guess I really wanted to know how much a good susp. helped equal out the handling. My 91 golf handles like a go cart, and I'll miss that.

does anyone make a scca/nasa approved cage for the gen 5 Celicas?

ciento44
03-14-2006, 03:25 AM
I don't know about the cage, but i've driven a 1990 GTS with full coilovers, and some sway bars, and it was pretty nice. Still pushed a little, but overall, was pretty amazing, in terms of feel, knowing exactly where the limit was, and easy to correct mistakes.

The swap is the easiest, and most efficient way to make power, although with some careful turboing, you can get your 5sfe up to 180hp, without TOO many problems.

The wiring is the hardest part for the 3sgte, there are some diagrams out there... i'll look around in my bookmarks, see if i can find something for you. :)

Sean
03-14-2006, 03:54 AM
I don't know about the cage, but i've driven a 1990 GTS with full coilovers, and some sway bars, and it was pretty nice. Still pushed a little, but overall, was pretty amazing, in terms of feel, knowing exactly where the limit was, and easy to correct mistakes.

The swap is the easiest, and most efficient way to make power, although with some careful turboing, you can get your 5sfe up to 180hp, without TOO many problems.

The wiring is the hardest part for the 3sgte, there are some diagrams out there... i'll look around in my bookmarks, see if i can find something for you. :)

Whats hard about extending maybe 10 wires? Wiring is a breeze. Swap is a breeze.