PDA

View Full Version : Distributor oil leak

Punisher
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
The inner shaft o-ring on my 5sfe distributor is leaking oil into my dizzy cap... I need to replace that o-ring. Does anyone here have expirence or advice on replacing it?

TRDmkII
01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
I've never replaced the inner o-ring, i've always replaced the outer, and i currently have oil leaking into my distributor cap, however, i've heard that replacing or rebuilding is the only way, I've never seen a rebuild kit or that part number in any toyota manual...soo good luck.

Dr.Auto
01-05-2005, 01:15 AM
I have replaced the dist shaft seal on quite a few toyota's. there are only two seal options but stated previousely you cannot get them from toyota unless you want to replace the whole dist. A "rebuild" is nessessary to do this as you have to totally dissassemble the dist to replace this seal. So while your in there you should also replace the dist shaft bearing. Again same situation. The way we've had to do it here is to dissassemble teh dist and match up the parts with local bearing supply and parts houses utilizing the seal P/N and bearing P/N. If I'm slow and remember I'll try to write down the two options for both the seal and bearing. But I can't garantee which is which as ........ well I can't remember. (unlike some people and timing belt P/N's)

Punisher
01-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Ok, well I guess my major question is.. is this a big issue? Can it affect performance of the engine? I see oil at the bottom of the dizzy cap yet I've never seen oil anywhere else in the distributor or the cap or on the towers or anything.. I've seen oil down at the very bottom of the dizzy.. around the ring where the cap sits.. but I guess that is normal since that is where the oil is sitting... It doesn't seem to be losing a lot.. like if I remove the cap there is a small amount.. but nothing that seems terrible or a huge leak.. so I don't know if there are any parts.. magnets or anything else in the dizzy that this oil could be getting on and causing a problem.

Dr.Auto
01-05-2005, 06:41 AM
The problem with this situation is that the oil WILL break down the insulation of various components inside the dist. Such as pickup modules, and coils. It really raises havoc with the epoxy that they dip the windings into and it ends up allowing the coils of wire to heat up and eventually short together altering the inpedance of the device which then rendures it inop. Just happened a couple months ago with my wifes Camry. I was putting it off and finally the ign coil went out. The epoxy was all cracked open on the coil and the coil impedance was greatly altered.

Punisher
01-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Guess I'll just save the cash up and get a good used dizzy

Slider
01-05-2005, 06:43 AM
I have the same problem. I didn't even know about it, until I was changing the cap and rotor. The seal between the distributor and the cap got really loose after replacing it so I guess all the oil just flows out through the crappy seal and doesn't get to the rotor or the towers. But my old cap had oil on like 2 or 3 towers and it would miss really bad under 3000RPMs, but I haven't had a problem since I replaced the cap and rotor since. So I guess it's not a problem as long as it doesn't get on the rotor or the towers.

BraveUlysses
01-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Rebuild kits area available here: http://www.kbox.ca/page5.html

Kbox is a top notch company.

There are no rebuild kits or rebuild services performed by Toyota for distributors. You've either gotta cough up the 200+ bucks or buy one of these kits.

Slider
01-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Rebuild kits area available here: http://www.kbox.ca/page5.html

Kbox is a top notch company.

There are no rebuild kits or rebuild services performed by Toyota for distributors. You've either gotta cough up the 200+ bucks or buy one of these kits.

Awesome find :bigthumbu

How hard is it to rebuilt the distributor?

TRDmkII
01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
well i know that you can get a new distributor assy from toyota for under 200 which is a pretty good price imo, but there are two options when you look it up, one sells the whole dist with the dist cap and rotor for like 300 but if you just buy the dist housing (which does include the pick up coil and such) its under 200, i don't understand either but i've been thinking of getting one soon.

85gtsblackman
01-10-2005, 12:28 AM
i got a dizzy for my 5s for 40 bux used with 114k on it

Punisher
01-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Sounds like what I will do.

kbox
01-17-2005, 03:30 AM
FYI - We now include the inner shaft bearing with all the 3SGE, 3SGTE, 3SFE, 5SFE, distributor repair kits at no extra charge.

There is also a great write up here for the DIY'er...

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/sw20%20distributor.htm

Please feel free to email me or post here if you have any further questions.

NEW SITE - http://www.kbox.ca/catalog/

Please add it to your favorites.