PDA

View Full Version : bigger radiator for aussie 3SFE?

mtp_69_i
03-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Hey guys,

Does anybody know of a radiator swap I can do into my 88 ST Celica (3SFE) to improve cooling?

It's the end of summer here in South Australia (aaaaaw! :sadcry: ) but we're still having some pretty hot days (35`C+). It's got me thinking about my radiator. It's so freaking small! I often find the fan is kicking in even after I've been cruising along in the city with moderate stop-start traffic. In my old Holden days the simple thing to do to get over cooling system difficulties was to go and grab the radiator out of a V8 version of your car (usually fat 3 core jobs to put up with nasty aussie heat :hehe: ) and install it.

I've done a quick search around the forum and found this thread http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040&highlight=radiator where somebody put a honda radiator into their 1990 celica. The benefit here it seemed was it created more space for turbo etc but no improvement in cooling capacity. I'm primarily interested in installing a radiator that will manage the cooling better and thus rely less on the fan to keep things happy.

Let me know if you've got any ideas.

Adrian Avgerinos
03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
If the 5th generation Celica radiators fit your 4th gen, you may find that the GT-S and Alltrac/GT4 radiator might be what you need. It's twin core and works quite well.

Punisher
03-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Hmm yes it is the bomb..

Btw, stop your end of summer whining.. We (us in northeastern USA) just got done with a shit ass winter.. plus it won't even be that cold down there man! It's been gettin real nice up here now tho :)

mtp_69_i
03-12-2006, 11:51 AM
anyone know if a 5th gen radiator fits a 4th gen running the 3SFE?

and btw, bite me Pun :thefinger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I surf all fuckin year anyway so I guess yer right.

Snafu
03-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Yes, it will fit.

mtp_69_i
03-13-2006, 03:14 AM
sweet, I'll drop mine out and take it to the wreckers, see if I can make a swap or something. Cheers guys!