PDA

View Full Version : Shift linkage bearings

Punisher
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, I've seen these "shift link" bearing kits floating around...instead of using the bushings.

Also read that it's a fairly popular bearing.. I work at an auto store.. so it would be easy for me to just pick up the bearings there.

So can anyone tell me what I need to do this on my 90 GTS?

3sgte@daspeedof
03-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I just picked up some skate board bearings, and grinded the the inside to the shifter linkage & the shifter arm where it sits, the bearing went on like a glove, and the shifter linkage went on like it was made to be there.

RIalltrac
03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
from personal experience, stay away from using the bearings for the shift linkages. I would personally stick with stock or use the brass bushings that speed source sells. Otherwise, the bearings arent meant to be used like that and will fail faster and cause issues.

Razzo
03-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Please, that statement you just said was completely false...use bearings all you want, they will last just as long. Bearings are made to take alot of pressure, and i highly doubt there is alot pressure while shifting. i'm going to install some bearings and i will let everybody know how it works out.

RIalltrac
03-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Please, that statement you just said was completely false...use bearings all you want, they will last just as long. Bearings are made to take alot of pressure, and i highly doubt there is alot pressure while shifting. i'm going to install some bearings and i will let everybody know how it works out.

Guy I just got done taking those pieces of crap out of my car, first off they dont fit right, the outter race of the bearing just isnt the right size. Secondly a better product already exists in the brass bushings. And lastly they were damn near seized (sp), more than likely a combination of seeing the elements and the excessive heat in the engine bay. Utter waste of time and money. But hey if its what you want to do go for it, you'll just end up taking them out like I did. It seemed to make lots of sense when I bought them, I now see the light. Plus the brass bushings feel a lot better than the bearings ever did.

Snafu
03-17-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm sure skateboard bearings would work, but I love the brass ones I got from speed source. They kick complete ass.

evolution
03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
there are lots of stories of these bearings failing, get proper brass bushings as RIalltrac suggested

Punisher
03-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Excessive heat in the engine bay causing the bearing to fail... ? You got some serious under-hood temps buddy...

I should mention that if you have a brain in your head you can get the exact side bearing to fit perfectly. Also if you don't buy cheap ass .25c bearings they won't fail.

I'm looking for a cheap solution.. that's really all I care about.. cheap but reliable. I highly doubt that a quality sealed bearing is going to just fall apart.

RIalltrac
03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
your right I do have some serious under hood temps, its called a 3sgte stuffed in with a awd tranny & transfer case. Everything under there cooks. I dare anyone to go grabbing anything in my engine bay after a couple of decents runs. Regardless, roller skate bearings werent meant to be used like this. I dont see the point arguing any more, I know the kit sold on ebay/alltrac.net/mr2 board is crap.

Punisher
03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Last night I went up to Dicks sporting goods and bought a back of 8 skateboard bearings.. they look nice and fit into the shifter cables real snug.. Gonna install sometime soon.. see how it goes.

Honestly, I'm not worried. At worst I end up having to replace them in 6 months or a year.. I highly doubt there will be an issue. Skateboard bearings are abused.. spin fast.. take a lot of weight and abuse.. Shouldn't be any issue using them.

I'll lather them up in grease first.. I bet they'll work fine for a long time with no issue.

Punisher
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
In case the bearings don't work.. where can I find these brass bushings?

RIalltrac
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM

http://speed-source.net/

3sgte@daspeedof
03-21-2006, 09:47 PM

I'm using them now, as long as you grease them, and put washers over the top and bottom of it you should be fine. I bought mine in a pack of 8, but I bought the more expensive ones, if one of the 4 dollar a bearing breaks or seazes I have 6more to use, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Razzo
10-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I popped a couple of black panters from my old skateboard, thank god for abec 7 :P . i also used a peice of rubber around the bearing. Fits nice and snug