PDA

View Full Version : Stage I of project 800573d wish me luck.

primeplaya7
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Well my 1992 celica GT went in today for stage 1 of getting boosted. Engine rebuild, 1jz piston rings, metal HG, arp headbolts, head o-rings, stage 2 clutch, TWM short shifter, 3 layer bearings, stronger rods, and ignition system. Stage 2 will be the turbo kit and tuning to make it all happen. Wish me luck guys on the 5sfte!

hobbie2k
03-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Good luck and keep us informed!

angryyoungnpoor
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
I will not wish you luck!

But.. I hope it goes well. Shoulda just gotten a 3sgte... :D

anton2586
03-08-2006, 07:11 PM
good luck buddy....i cant wait till this thing sees boost.......

primeplaya7
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
3sgte. yeah a couple things about that. ecu and wiring harness hard to find and yeah i am sure i can find them on here but would like to know what i am getting. Don't want to go out and by stand alone engine managment system. $4G for that doesn't appeal to me. The way i will be set up, a straight 3sgte swap wouldn't be able to compare. But honestly i would love to have done the swap just for the fact they can handle more hp in the end and there are more parts available for them. I will keep u guys posted.

Punisher
03-08-2006, 08:53 PM
The money you are spending on that 5s.. you coulda got a 3sgte.. I got mine for free.. But anyway, there are junk yards that have complete 3sgte's for 800 bucks.. + a harness and ECU..

You'd still have plenty of cash left over to dump into the 3sgte by the time you hit what you are spending on that 5S you coulda had a killer 3SGTE, that would be more reliable and less of a standalone management system.

Just my point of view, but I've been down this road long before you and I've learned the facts of life.

Good luck with it though!

TheNefariousOne
03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Punisher, you know junkyards around here that have 3sgtes for 800 bucks?! Tell me where!

Luni
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Im all for the 5SFTE, but please tell me how you are going to be beating on a 3SGTE if you arent going standalone... I can do 270hp on my stock ecu and fuel system. You cant. You have to find some way of controlling it. So either you get into piggybacks or standalone... Or you use a 3S map sensor and 450cc injectors. But then you have the same ceiling as me, and youre just marginally more powerful than I am, but now youre in your setup ALOT more than Im in mine. Anything you can do to yours, I can do to mine, and I can do just as well or better (your displacement doesnt get you THAT much, my head design is superior to yours for boosted applications too).

So please tell me how you are going to be just makign SOO much more power than a 3SGTE without some sort of engine managment.

Dont take this post the wrong way. Im not trying to be an ass, I just want to know.

nuclearhappines
03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
It's 2006... the g and f motors started coming out in what 1987

i would hope that from 2006 forward all i see people building are 5sg(t)e's and 7ag(t)e's

what the fuck is a 5sfte good for if it can't put down 250 wheel hp ? even if it makes 300ft-lbs of torque ?

u know how when you race people , rpms go up... if you don't make power there what's the point...

i'd love to have a setup that gets faster with every gear... read my sig

Punisher
03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Punisher, you know junkyards around here that have 3sgtes for 800 bucks?! Tell me where!

www.car-parts.com

This was a while ago, but a yard in brooklyn had a complete 3sgte for 800 bucks. There are a few others I think too.

primeplaya7
03-09-2006, 12:15 AM
no straight up 3sgte swap is what i was talkin about which they put out just at 200 HP depending on generation. I do agree with u about the engine being far more superior to the 5sfe because of the insane amount of HP people are running on those engines i have seen as high as 500hp. But in order for u to get that high u have to go standalone ems anyway. In my area i have looked and found the 3sgte engine but no one wants to carry the ecu and if i can find one it is stock which puts me right back at 200 hp plus or minus. I just thought it was easier for my situation to build up my 5sfe because i know how it has been treated and have the ecu already for it. Not trying to cause any confrontation either actually looking for input on the subject. Apologize if i came off like i was being an ass :slap:

Punisher
03-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Actually, I'm sick of people saying they are going to use their current motor (5sfe) because they know how it was "treated".

With all of the work you are doing, you could put that money into blueprinting a 3sgte..

But anyway, you'd get a lot higher for the money with a 3sgte than you ever will with the 5sfe.

You could always get a JDM ECU which would've given you more bang for the time being. In either case, it's your decision.

Best of luck with it.. a lot of people are doin it but most are just doing it for a mild boost.. nothing like what you are spending your money on. I hope ya don't regret it either.

hobbie2k
03-09-2006, 05:41 AM
You never know until you try. Maybe his 5sfte won't have any major advantage over a 3sgte. And maybe it will. Maybe the displacement advantage and "f" head will flatten his torque curve and quell the turbo lag to the point where he has a car that is as fast as a 3sgte, and far more tractable in everyday driving. And maybe the reduction in rpms needed to achieve that power and to get a good launch will give him more engine and clutch life.

You never know till you try, and if he is willing to spend the money and take the risk, then go for it, and let us know how it goes. Afterall, maybe the 5sfe is a sports car motor in disguise.

One quick question, though. The two limiting factors you are facing in this are the head design and the stock ECU. While only a piggyback or a standalone will fix your ECU problem, is it possible to stick a 3sg(t)e head onto the 5sfe block for a hybrid 5sgte? After all, both engines are in the same family. Then you've got the flow advantages of the "g" head with the displacement advantages of the 5s block.

nuclearhappines
03-09-2006, 11:37 AM
5sge iterations:

1- cheapest : 2.1 litre: all oem parts
3s head, 3s block, 5s crank, 5s rods, 3s pistons
2- middle ground: 2.2 litre
5sfe block or bored 3s block, 3s head, overbore 3sgte pistons, 5s crank, 5s rods
3- common configuration for most power potential
3s block , 3s head, machined 5sfe crank for smaller rod journals, offset ground, 3sgte length rods (stock or aftermarket, depending on hp goals), after market raised pin height 3sgte pistons (available off the shelf from CP pistons)

most people go configuration 3 as an upgrade to the 3sgte...however that is both the most potent and most expensive of all the setups.

if you're willing to boost a 5sfe on it's stock rods, then building configuration 1 or 2 is going to be as strong as a striaght 5sfte, with the same r/s ratio and safe redline, but u'll have a better head, better quench, proper compression ratio, good valve angle, a true DOHC setup, aftermarket potential ...etc

it's still going to be a 6500 rpm motor, but you'll make peak power @ 6500 rather than 5200 ...

it's like a budget way to buy 1.5m or 2mm of lift, some 30-40 degrees of duration , a ported head, a fixed valve angle, possible a 1mm upgraded intake valve and a 2-3mm oversized exhaused valve (Depends what gen 5s you are comparing too) ...etc

-nuke

Punisher
03-09-2006, 05:12 PM
It's just the money over outcome that shoots the 5SFTE project down in my book.

The motor wasn't made for it.

I'd much sooner have a 3SGTE, not to be "like everyone else" but the fact that it's boosted from the factory.. every little detail has been thought out and because of that, I can do mods to it and get more power and the motor will still be just as reliable as it was the day it left the factory. Depending of course how far I mod it and the quality of parts used.

On any motor you can only get so much power out of it before it starts to get unreliable. Unfortunately for the 5S, putting a turbo on it in my book automatically makes it unreliable. You don't know what the end result of that extra heat and compression is going to be on a motor that wasn't designed for that sort of abuse.

Oh, I truly hope you are going to use a later generation 5S, one that had a knock sensor..

hobbie2k
03-09-2006, 06:10 PM
It's just the money over outcome that shoots the 5SFTE project down in my book.

The motor wasn't made for it.

I'd much sooner have a 3SGTE, not to be "like everyone else" but the fact that it's boosted from the factory.. every little detail has been thought out and because of that, I can do mods to it and get more power and the motor will still be just as reliable as it was the day it left the factory. Depending of course how far I mod it and the quality of parts used.

On any motor you can only get so much power out of it before it starts to get unreliable. Unfortunately for the 5S, putting a turbo on it in my book automatically makes it unreliable. You don't know what the end result of that extra heat and compression is going to be on a motor that wasn't designed for that sort of abuse.

Oh, I truly hope you are going to use a later generation 5S, one that had a knock sensor..

Yeah, I can see that. It is risky, and hp for hp, won't be as reliable as the 3s...

Punisher
03-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I once tried to build a 4AF up into a monster.. I've been down the road of trying to take the under dog and make it into the champ. I shoulda listened to everyone telling me to just put a 4AGE into the car.. silly stupid fucking me.

primeplaya7
03-10-2006, 06:25 PM
What 5sfe generation had the knock sensor in it? If mine does not have one what does it take to install one or something similar to one? Is it an absolute cause some cars that are boosted stock do not have them?