PDA

View Full Version : Adding Cruise Control to a 2001 Celica GT

KansCelica
01-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I was curious, how hard would it be to add cruise control to a 2001 GT that doesnt have it? New throttle cables, cruise switch on the steering wheel, and the cruise module under the hood. Can you think of anything else? Anyone else done this?

KansCelica
01-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Nobody knows anything?

Punisher
01-12-2005, 07:21 AM
NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING!

Heh.. yea you need the CC ECU, control knob, control box under the hood.. that actually pulls the cable.. and the extra throttle cable. Now the only issue I can think of that you will run up against is 1. getting the parts since it's a fairly new car yet.. and 2. wiring the CC ECU into your engine ECU.. If you know your electrical then you won't have an issue with that.

Oh and you will probably need a whole new steering wheel setup.. I'd recommend getting the whole setup.. I mean.. bleh I don't know how many wires need to be run from the switch to the CC box.. I mean you got a lot of wiring to do when yout hink of it.. from the control switch to the CC ECU.. to the Engine ECU.. to the actual cruise control selenoid.. yadda yadda.
Best of luck!

KansCelica
01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Well im pretty sure there is only 1 wire that goes to the horn, airbag, and cruise control. I found this piece on ebay last night to confirm this. Its like a cord that has a spring, so it doesnt get caught when you turn the wheel.

As far as hooking up to the ECU - all of that SHOULD be pre-run. All i should have to do is plug in the actual CC ECU to wherever spot it fits. Toyota usually has everything available to add to their cars - ie - they wire for fog lights even if your car doesnt come with them, because its cheaper than not running them on all vehicles.