PDA

View Full Version : Rear-mount Turbo?

hobbie2k
03-02-2006, 06:34 AM
So I was bored at work the other day so I picked up a copy of Chevy High Performance (hey, it's more applicable than Lowrider) and they were working on a rear-mount turbo system for an F-body.

No shit.

The turbo is mounted BEHIND the rear axle, under the spare tire tub, with the air intake/filter, wastegate, and boost controller located where the left exhaust pipe would exit and the exhaust exiting out the right.

So you've got the exhaust gasses passing through the stock manifolds and cats, then through a crossover pipe and into a resonator, THEN it enters the turbine, and after that it has a straight path out. The intake charge is drawn in from the rear of the car, about 6 inches off the ground, into the turbine, then passes through about 6 feet of tubing (much longer if you want an intercooler) before it reaches the BOV, then it goes up to the intake manifold.

I guess I'm wondering...why? The only answer I can come up with is the ease of installation, because you don't have to worry about fitting all the equipment and tubing into the engine bay, and you can use the stock exhaust and intake manifolds. And this is for a daily driver.

What about mechanical damage from road debris? Water ingestion? What about the extremely dirty air underneath the car? Emissions compliance (atomised oil in the exhaust which isn't burnt in the cat, or the difficulty of plumbing the BOV back)? Not to mention issues of throttle response and lag...though I suppose with an LT1 and a slushbox those issues aren't as big a deal...

Kingsoup
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
It runs so cool in the back you don't need watercooling. With a V-8 you can easily mount a Single turbo, apparently they work very well.

celica9303
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
the turbo stays cooler so it runs more efficient, my buddy has a setup like that on his integra.

Trance4c
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
the turbo stays cooler so it runs more efficient, my buddy has a setup like that on his integra.

efficency is negatted due to the long running pipping needed to go back to the front.

it is no more efficent or practical, it is just a different place for mounting it. I have seen many cars done this way.. its typically on domestics though. If you ask me though.. its a waste of time. Put the turbo as close to the throttle body as possible post-IC to get throttle response. Otherwise, it will suffer from turbo shock/surge and increased lag.

hobbie2k
03-03-2006, 04:55 AM
efficency is negatted due to the long running pipping needed to go back to the front.

it is no more efficent or practical, it is just a different place for mounting it. I have seen many cars done this way.. its typically on domestics though. If you ask me though.. its a waste of time. Put the turbo as close to the throttle body as possible post-IC to get throttle response. Otherwise, it will suffer from turbo shock/surge and increased lag.

see...that's what I was thinking, too.

Like I said, the only good reason I could find for mounting it back there is because you don't have to remove half the stuff in the engine bay to install it...

Ricksta
03-05-2006, 02:23 AM
i just think it makes it easier for someone to jack your shit

andy
04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
hahahahahha, fa show. hey lets mount my 1000 plus dollar turbo right under the rear of my truck so someone with a sawzall can cut it off in 2 min. yeah i dont think so. Also do you still have to run oil lines all the way back there? stupid and impratical as i see it

MrWOT
04-05-2006, 10:36 PM
If anything efficiency would be down due to total static head and volume. It'd be nice for space considerations, but that's about it. Not to mention the fact that if you ever hit a deep puddle with an unprotected rear mount you can kiss it goodbye ;)