PDA

View Full Version : 300ZX(just take a look)

VikingJZ
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I trust the boys here at CT more than other forums. So, I'm looking to help my friend Jason with his 1985 Nissan 300ZX. It's got the VG30 (3.0 V6) that is naturally aspirated. He's having trouble getting the thing to fire up all the time. We have to spray massive amounts of starting fluid into the intake, but it still takes several cranks to get it to go, including holding the gas and revving for a few seconds. We've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and sensor, the air flow wires on the side of the engine, and I'm not sure what else. Any basic ideas? I told him to run some seafoam through everything and see if that helps at all. Otherwise, he's taking it to the only guy in town who can analyse the car from head to toe. Thanks for all the help.

Trance4c
02-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I trust the boys here at CT more than other forums. So, I'm looking to help my friend Jason with his 1985 Nissan 300ZX. It's got the VG30 (3.0 V6) that is naturally aspirated. He's having trouble getting the thing to fire up all the time. We have to spray massive amounts of starting fluid into the intake, but it still takes several cranks to get it to go, including holding the gas and revving for a few seconds. We've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and sensor, the air flow wires on the side of the engine, and I'm not sure what else. Any basic ideas? I told him to run some seafoam through everything and see if that helps at all. Otherwise, he's taking it to the only guy in town who can analyse the car from head to toe. Thanks for all the help.

Check compression, plugs, ignitor, etc. Personally.. I hate working on these cars. Good luck.

Tommy91GT
03-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Problem with using starter fluid a lot on a vehicle is that it causes the engine to become an etherwhore. When I was station at Fort Drum NY we use to use SF in the winter to help start the Hummers. We used it so much that even in the summer it was extremely hard to get it to start without.
But Clay has right (as usual) check the compression, and the whole ignition system. Have you checked the fuel pump with a multimeter to see if it's getting enough juice? How does it run once you get it started?

All4Traction
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Does it run fine after its been started up?

Check timing, and ignition components first maybe.

Fuel, spark, and compression are the 3 things needed for a car to run.

Kingsoup
03-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Cold start injector, I'd check that if its hard to start. Sensors that are bad, Temp ect. that could be causing a problem on startup. Its probably getting enough fuel.

Sean
03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
That car has many recalls that need to be addressed from the factory, check to see if they've been done. One of the many things they will repace is the injectors and throttle body.