PDA

View Full Version : how do you know when disc and drums need replacement?

Rayme
01-04-2005, 04:03 AM
As far as minimum wear and size etc... they are still good but as far as rust is concern I need some advice, my rear drums seem to crumble a bit around the inner edge and my front disc vented area (inside) is really rusty and all the vented walls seem "rounded" now.

I included pics...

ANd has anyone replaced those drums ?! They're like 100$ canadian(after taxes) each! INSANE!!

http://www.pyxismedia.com/celica/celica_05/disc.jpg

http://www.pyxismedia.com/celica/celica_05/drum.jpg
I think theres a brake line leak on that one..oops!

Doc
01-04-2005, 04:05 AM
heh, mine was worse:

http://www.docman.cc/pix/misc/badrotor.jpg

I'm pretty sure you measure the thickness of the rotors to see if it has reached it run-out spec. As for drums... I have no idea how to measure when those need replaced

spoolin_gt
01-04-2005, 05:03 AM
looks like you just haven't driven that car for a while....once you drive it..the rust will go away....for the drums..those are normal since only the covers are getting rusted...i'd check the internals of those drums to see how they are...

Doc
01-04-2005, 01:22 PM
looks like you just haven't driven that car for a while....once you drive it..the rust will go away....for the drums..those are normal since only the covers are getting rusted...i'd check the internals of those drums to see how they are...

I can't vouch for his, but I drive mine 50+ miles a day. and over this past summer... only on 3 brakes. As you can see.

but she's fixed now. :bigthumbu

ok... back on topic. Anyone know how to tell when drum brakes need replacement?

Galcobar
01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Drum wear is measured by the internal diameter. The maximum safe internal diameter should be stamped into the interior face of the drum.

My 90 GT's drums say the maximum safe internal diametre is 201 mm.

This is a precise measurement, so don't try using a household ruler to check. If you don't have a good tool to fit inside the drum, measure off a piece of string required to stretch from one side to the other (make sure it crosses the centre) and then measure the string with a precision tool -- something that measures down to 0.1 mm at least.

BTW, when you say the interior is crumbling, if you're referring to the brown gunk inside that turns into dust when you touch it, don't worry, that's compressed brake dust. Just wash the drum out with brake cleaner and avoid breathing either the fumes or the dust.

The brake shoes are simpler -- you can see how much material they have left before the hardware hits the drum instead of the wear material.

As for replacement drums -- don't buy from the dealer. Unless you're going for TRD or some other high-end part, Canadian Tire can supply perfectly adequate Monroe drums from $40. Brake parts are pretty standard.

Mike431635
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
You should just visit a junkard and get the parts you need to do a rear disc conversion. It's simple and you can find plenty of info on doing it (I know for a fact that there is a good walkthrough on toyotacelicaonline.com).

Galcobar
01-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Finally found the info I was looking for on how to get really cheap rotors!

--------Brake Rotors:
Brought to you by: 1990bluecelicagt

Anyone who needs replacement rotors for thier 5th gen knows they are like $75 each. If you want rotors for a lot cheaper from your local parts store....tell them you want rotors for a 1989 camry with no ABS. They are identical in every way to the celica 5 lug rotors, but they only cost $19 each.

THANX FOR THE INFO!!!!

--------------------

theancient@toyotacelicas.com

Mr E
01-11-2005, 11:27 PM
ANd has anyone replaced those drums ?! They're like 100$ canadian(after taxes) each! INSANE!!

Look up the price of front disc for a ST205.

Rayme
01-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Look up the price of front disc for a ST205.

Look up the value of my 1990 vs your ST205.

85gtsblackman
01-12-2005, 05:40 AM
here what i do for rotors

i get oem toyota ones from the bone yard, usally 10 for both, and then i go get em resurfaced for 20 for both, so bam i got like new oem rotors for 30 dollars for both and i can get em resurfaced between 2 and 4 more times before i got to do this again

:edit: hey rayme i got some 5 lug rotors i think they can be resurfaced, lemme know if u want em

Punisher
01-12-2005, 07:17 AM
But really guys.. when sparks start to fly or it sounds like a train is stopping everytime you use the brakes.. like it was on my moms old Ford Taurus wagon before I serviced it.. well then you need new shit :)

The rear rotors were FUBAR and the pads.. well there was no pad left.. lol.

As for my celica.. I can run my fingers on all 4 discs and on all 4 I can feel "ravines" you might say.. all of my rotors need to be replaced maybe I could get away with a shave.. not positive haven't pulled/measured anything yet. But you need to be able to shave off like .16" of an inch .. .08" on each side needs to come off... IIRC.

Wittybebop
01-13-2005, 08:58 PM
The rear disks always seem rusty, I guess the front just brakes more on the 90's Celicas, if your concerned that braking is reduced get a set of pads for the rear and have the surfaces skimmed up on a lathe costs about 10 per disk, same with the front you are best having it skimmed for warping or grooves in the disk, but remember you can only skim so much before you reach the minimum thickness of the disks.
Oh and for those who have disk brakes on the rear inside is a set of handbrake shoes, if your garage shows you a set and says they need replacing don't let them screw you over the thickness of the handbrake shoes coating is about 2-3mm not like on a set of drum brake shoes at 6-8 mm.

Hooligan
01-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Resurfaced junkyard rotors are NOT the same as new ones! Some material is removed in the resurfacing process and this will make the rotors warp easier.

Have you actually done the 89 Camry thing? I have heard from several people that this is true, but nobody had actually done it. Do they line up in size with the earlier or later rotors (later cars got a hair larger rotors)?

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Brakes are NOT something to skimp out on!

Punisher
01-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Skimp out on? Please.. I get all of my brake hardware at the .99cent store.. So what if it takes me an extra 500ft for a 60-0mph stop. :)

I definitly need to do some brake work on my celica.. every now and then the peddle will just fall the floor and braking power is completely gone basically.. let it up and pump it again and it'll usually return to being stiff and responsive.. I don't know if it's air in the system or what is going on I haven't looked into it.

Hooligan
01-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Check the brake booster. A fluid leak would be leaky all the time.

The comment about skimping on brakes wasn't to you in particular.