PDA

View Full Version : mr2 bov with fmic

Lagos
01-04-2005, 12:09 AM
im thinking about changing over to the oem mr2 bov. does anyone know how i can hook it up to 2.25in ic piping? are there any flanges i can buy?

silverarrow
01-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Try getting a hold of the mr2 elbow with the stock bypass valve flange. Try cutting off the flange and weld it onto your ic pipe and use the stock bypass valve. That's the only route I can think of unless you know someone who can make you a custom flange.

Luni
01-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Id imagine someone like Conrad could make you a flange easy if you sent him the oem bpv.

DBM
01-04-2005, 02:28 AM
What material is your IC piping? I should be able to whip up a flange for you pretty easilly using my OEM SW20 BPV.

Lagos
01-04-2005, 03:28 AM
stainless steel

Snafu
01-04-2005, 04:39 AM
By the looks of it, you have an HKS SSQ, why switch? I know the MR2 Bypass valve is pretty darn good, but if it aint broke, why fix it?

-Colin

Lagos
01-04-2005, 06:16 AM
hahaha funny u say that. i think my hks is broke.

DBM
01-04-2005, 06:49 AM
word has it that the OEM MR2 BPV reacts faster tha the HKS. Having the ability to recirculate is nice too, for those who still have their AFM's and don't want to go rich/bog between shifts when at higher boost levels.

Aust162
01-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Interesting... i've got a sw20 bpv laying around at home.i was going to get a flange made up for it, but i thought it was a pretty average bov so i didn't bother...i was just going to go aftermarket.

The spring on it feels really soft :? maybe the one i got is damaged?

Lagos
01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/bov.htm

read that to know what makes the mr2 bov better. its not really a spring based bov, so i dont think the spring has to be as firm as it would be on a normal bov.

silverarrow
01-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Remember that not all bpv are made the same. Just like every engine is different. A stock bpv may be perfectly for you when it may not be for me.

Conrad_Turbo
01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/bov.htm

read that to know what makes the mr2 bov better. its not really a spring based bov, so i dont think the spring has to be as firm as it would be on a normal bov.
Which is why it reacts quicker, no heavy spring to compress.

Snafu
01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Upon reading that, I'm happy with my 1G DSM bypass valve.

Luni
01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Remember that not all bpv are made the same. Just like every engine is different. A stock bpv may be perfectly for you when it may not be for me.
From a performance standpoint it is superior to most aftermarket blow off valves.

From a ricey noise standpoint it isnt near as loud as some aftermarket blow off valves.

Your statement is (and no offense) false, and ignorant, unless your "be for me" quote pertains to sound and not performance.

Aust162
01-05-2005, 04:42 AM
this may sound like a dumb question but,so are the mr2 valves sort after by other 3sgte owners?
Also would anyone be able to make a flange for one, because i would like to fit mine to my aftermarket FMIC piping? i would be interested in buying it.

silverarrow
01-05-2005, 07:02 AM
From a performance standpoint it is superior to most aftermarket blow off valves.

From a ricey noise standpoint it isnt near as loud as some aftermarket blow off valves.

Your statement is (and no offense) false, and ignorant, unless your "be for me" quote pertains to sound and not performance.

I actually really mean from a performance view at it. My brother(w/ mr2 turbo) switched from a super sequential back to the stock oem bpv and the car is now huffing and puffing to death with a leak from the bpv. Looks like the stock bpv took a crapper. Puts HKS SSQ back on there and car idles and drives like a champ. And what I mean is, they as in stock bpvs, don't last forever and that's probably why some people go with aftermarket bpvs.

Lagos
01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
silverarrow, i think the same thing happed to my HKS. it was fine at 1st, but now when i run it, i can hear a slight hiss under boost. trying to get hks to warrenty it, but it dont look good, so i want to try the mr2 bov i have.