PDA

View Full Version : Who knew hail damage would cost so much.

angryyoungnpoor
02-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, went to get an appraisal on the hail damage from the storm's thursday. Came back with a $1700 check. From what I can see, the damage is on the roof, the hood, and the trunk. Nowhere else, but eh..

We'll see what we do.

For now I need a hood and trunk.. possible spoiler and sunroof.

Colossus20v
02-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Punisher is selling his hood.

TEAMFaint
02-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I knew it'd cost that much. When we had our huge hail storm here, many cars were written off..a lot of other cars had excessive damage. Insurance companies offered owners next to no cash if they decided to not fix the vehicle and keep the money, this being because hail damage costs so much to fix, and the Insurance companies didn't want to lose a lot of money.

The thing you gotta understand about hail is when it hits a vehicle, not only does it make a dent, but it also LIFTS up parts when it hits. When a car is fixed from hail damage (I mean with a lifter tool, whatever they use) You can still subtly see the hail damge..and it's a real bitch to get fixed. You're best option is to get replacement parts and not even bother trying to fix your hood/sunroof panel. Celicaguy. got a new replacement panel because he tried to fix it, but the material is too hard to get to brand new.

Goodluck with your hunt for your new parts, hopefully you dont get any other storms comin up here!

Morwan
02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Damn, that sucks... Maybe that junkyard GT-S has parts you could use?

I'm definitely getting full coverage come April. I got real lucky this time, as the metro area didn't get any hail.

angryyoungnpoor
02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Looks like I'll be getting a carbon fiber hood, and going to the junk yard for the trunk lid and Sunroof.. thank god there's a red celica there. Might be able to snag the door too.

Anyone know how well dent poppers work on hail?

Morwan
02-21-2006, 01:21 AM
What was the deductible on your insurance and what company did you use? Geico strongly discouraged me from getting comprehensive on my GT, so I'm thinking of switching for comprehensive.

angryyoungnpoor
02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
What was the deductible on your insurance and what company did you use? Geico strongly discouraged me from getting comprehensive on my GT, so I'm thinking of switching for comprehensive.

I have Geico. The deductable was 50 bux. Amazing.

TEAMFaint
02-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Anyone know how well dent poppers work on hail?

Not good @ all...looks horrible. You're best bet is to sand down to the metal..make sure its smooth and fill the dents in. I looked @ a Nissan 240 which got fixed with a dent popper and u could still see little indents around the whole roof. + like i stated before, you get spots that are higher and parts that are low...so it just doesnt turn out right.

$50 deductable...damn you're lucky..you just made $1650!

celicaguy.
02-21-2006, 07:27 AM
yeah my car got absolutly fucked, i was ready to repaint my car and it was all primed. try an find dents when your car has no shine. no fun. the sunroof gets owned tho cuz its thinner.