PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust stains

corvelx
01-03-2005, 04:27 AM
I've got some nasty exhaust stains that are starting to develop. Could anyone give me some advice on how to effectivly wash it off, what to use, prevention, etc.

I have a feeling it's because my cat is gutted.....

Mike431635
01-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Prevention.. take some vaseline and rub the area down with it. It's waterproof and when you clean it up when you detail your car, the soot will wipe away with it. I don't do this cause I don't have a problem with it, but I know people who do.

carlosfandango
01-04-2005, 12:00 AM
are you sure this is dis-colouration due to staining or is it 'heat' damage??

corvelx
01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Prevention.. take some vaseline and rub the area down with it. It's waterproof and when you clean it up when you detail your car, the soot will wipe away with it. I don't do this cause I don't have a problem with it, but I know people who do.

That wouldn't be a bad idea if it didn't stain all the way up to the GT-S symbol... But I may try that on the bumper because that is where it is the worst.

corvelx
01-04-2005, 12:07 AM
are you sure this is dis-colouration due to staining or is it 'heat' damage??

Staining for sure, there is no way it could be heat damage for the space it's covering.

carlosfandango
01-04-2005, 01:09 AM
strange? have you got a pic of the tailpipe and rear fender?

could you fabricate a polished steel shield and bolt it on somehow? would be better than tackling a constant clean up job, especialy on white paintwork.. a cutting compound would be my first approach.

corvelx
01-04-2005, 01:34 AM
strange? have you got a pic of the tailpipe and rear fender?

could you fabricate a polished steel shield and bolt it on somehow? would be better than tackling a constant clean up job, especialy on white paintwork.. a cutting compound would be my first approach.

I don't have a pic, but PC saw it the other day. He knows how black the exhaust outlet is on the muffler. I mentioned how I thought if I cleaned it up it would reduce the stain, but he didn't agree.

The stain is brown however.. if I rub it with a wet towel over and over it goes away. It's been too cold for me to take a bucket of water out there and clean it real well with soap.

Blackcloud
01-04-2005, 03:25 AM
wipe better :wink:

corry i dont think your gonna have anyway around it other then giving her a weekly bath. which is prob wise with all the crap that they put on the roads now a days. you could take her to the spray wash and spend $2 and at least spray it down pretty good. tis what i do.

corvelx
01-04-2005, 04:32 AM
wipe better :wink:

corry i dont think your gonna have anyway around it other then giving her a weekly bath. which is prob wise with all the crap that they put on the roads now a days. you could take her to the spray wash and spend $2 and at least spray it down pretty good. tis what i do.

d00d, it's on their pretty good. I worked with it at the car wash and it still came out looking like shit. I just need to sit down with a bucket of soap and a rag and clean it good.

Blackcloud
01-04-2005, 04:51 AM
sand paper my man. 60grit

InitialD93
01-04-2005, 05:20 AM
lol 60 grit will remove plastic from the bumper... :hehe:

corvelx
01-04-2005, 05:34 AM
What is a good cleaner to use to remove bad stains without taking the paint off?

Blackcloud
01-04-2005, 06:00 AM
i know where there is some sulfuric acid at that will clean it right up. :wink:

according to my report there is about 8,800tons of it about 200ft away from me :hehe:

corvelx
01-04-2005, 06:25 AM
i know where there is some sulfuric acid at that will clean it right up. :wink:

according to my report there is about 8,800tons of it about 200ft away from me :hehe:

Think you could ship some of that to Boise? :hehe:

Blackcloud
01-04-2005, 06:42 AM
if i could find something to haul it in.. i think it would eat though your standard box.. lol