PDA

View Full Version : Canadians!

alltracman78
02-15-2006, 01:44 AM
I am in need of some assistance.
Well, actually, somone else is. But I'm trying to help them.
So, anyways

I am trying to locate a discount Toyota dealer in Canada, something along the lines of www.1sttoyotaparts.com (http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com) or, if not, is there anywhere to get OEM parts cheaper? How will import taxes and such work out?

Galcobar
02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Sales taxes are a) federal, the 7% GST and b) provincial, which varies from 0% in Alberta to 8% in one of the Atlantic provinces. So how much tax you pay depends on which province you're importing into.

Import fees are a little trickier. Under NAFTA, any goods classed as casual (personal use) manufactured within Canada, Mexico or the USA are duty exempt. Otherwise, it's typically a 7% import tariff. However, if you bought it in the U.S., many times the border guard won't both checking the manufacturing origin and will go with what is specified on your bill of sale. I imported KYB suspension parts and was charged no duty as it came from a U.S. supplier, even though KYB manufactures in Japan.

As for a cheaper Canadian option -- good luck, I've yet to find one. My best method has been to order from U.S. online retailers, have it sent to a friend's house in Washington state, then drive down when I can. Truth be told, it's the shipping that's the killer. As soon as it crosses a border, costs jump -- one item was US$12 to ship within the U.S., US$98 to ship to my house 40 kilometres from the border.

schmooot
02-16-2006, 05:05 AM
you'd be paying more to get it across the border anyways so it would be thje same in the end