PDA

View Full Version : Heater not blowing heat

dutch_gts
02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I brought my car home last night from just buying it, it's a 1991 GTS and the heater works, but the heater core is stuck shut. I had a friend turn the dial from hot to cold while the car was running and nothing in the heater core moved. One what side should I see movement? Also, where is the motor that controls the opening and closing of the heater core? I'm going out to drop the dash in a few minutes to test wiring, but I want to know if I am testing the right motor.

Luni
02-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Theres a physical lever that is connected via a cable or lever to the core from the hvac controls. make sure that is connected. Thats all I can think of.

RIalltrac
02-14-2006, 02:29 AM
I always hate to do this, but the most obvious question is....Is there enough coolant in the system?

Sean
02-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I always hate to do this, but the most obvious question is....Is there enough coolant in the system?

I was just about to say this....

This is how I check to see how my cracked blocked is doing every morning, the old heat test :bigthumbu

Trance4c
02-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Also, is the car warming up all the way? It could also be a stuck open thermostat that is circulating cold coolant through the whole system not allowing the coolant that is in the head and heater core to get hot enough.

dutch_gts
02-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Well yes there is enough coolant. When I turn the dial from hot to cold I hear absolutly nothing happening. No motor whining or anything. While we are on the topic, the temp gauge does seem to sit at about 20 degrees to the cold side, as opposed to straight up and down.

Trance4c
02-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Well yes there is enough coolant. When I turn the dial from hot to cold I hear absolutly nothing happening. No motor whining or anything. While we are on the topic, the temp gauge does seem to sit at about 20 degrees to the cold side, as opposed to straight up and down.

Stuck open thermostat, garantee it.

dutch_gts
02-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Oh really? I'm driving it to the shop tomorrow to test the thermostat, if it's stuck open then that explains my heat issue. If not,then I'll keep you all updated on my troubleshooting and we can go from there.

Just to add, the very last sensor on the thermostat housing, a blue plastic sensor with two horizontal vaccuum outlets. One of the outlets on mine snapped off, will this cause a problem?

dutch_gts
02-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Well the thermostat is tested, it's brand new. It opened at 180. I refilled the coolant with a brand new mixture of 50/50 after flushing the rad with water. So now, what to trouble shoot next?

acidice333
02-16-2006, 06:14 AM
My temp knob on my climate control is electronic (no shitty cable) so when I turn the knob I can sorta hear the motor

dutch_gts
02-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Mine is electronic too, anyone know how I can test this? I have a voltometer if need be.

dutch_gts
02-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking the atuators or the swith is dead. To open it up just for heat, where is the valve that I can manually open?

dutch_gts
02-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Well i found the problem, the electric motor for the opening and closing of the two valves was burned up. Got a new one on the way

roman
02-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Yeah you can find that valve/arm if you crawl under the dash on the passenger side and look up behind the radio at the heater core. There's a metal rod that is connected to this plastic arm that swings the door back and forth between hot and cold.

alltracman78
02-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Sorry I missed this man, I could've pointed you there faster. :P

That sensor with the broke nipple is part of the evap system. It helps to recirc the gas tank vapors through the engine.
Not a huge issue if it's broke, but you can find it on any EFI Toyota....

dutch_gts
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks alltracman