PDA

View Full Version : Camry 2.2 CAI

ChewDogg
02-11-2006, 05:11 PM
So I was at ToyotaNation today and I saw a post that this guy is making real CAI for the Camry 2.2. I wonder if it would fit the Celica Engine bay?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117812&page=6

Luis C
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Any chance that thing might fit a 3S-GE ?

alltracman78
02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I doubt it would fit the Celica engine bay. The Camry has a waaaay larger bay, and the piping would probably follow it...

Punisher
02-12-2006, 12:31 AM
OMG THAT IS AWESOME!!! he took some 3" exhaust pipe and mandrel bent it.. and then he stuck it right down by the hot tranny and where the radiator dumps it heat.. yea real CAI there. :yupnope:

Luis C
02-12-2006, 02:22 AM
^ I know, but probably heat wrap would work to isolate the steel pipe from heat

Punisher
02-12-2006, 02:23 AM
ugh.. ur missing the point.. the AIR FILTER is right between two very hot objects.

Luis C
02-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Err... the car has a huge venting duct to cool the tranny and gear box, it goes from behind the lower bumper (right next to where the drivers side fog lamp woudl be on an Alltrac) to right in front of the bellhousing. Plenty of cool air coming in from there if you ask me

Luckynumber5
02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeaaah well done there Punisher, you really hit that one on the head. The CAI is very well engineered and has plenty of space away from both hot objects.

Punisher
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeaaah well done there Punisher, you really hit that one on the head. The CAI is very well engineered and has plenty of space away from both hot objects.

Yea, why don't you troll on back to toyota nation now.

RedPhoenix
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
On the camry engine bays that spot isnt as hot as you assume. Not to mention the air duct and such. Its well designed on another aproach. However it wont fit celicas, your engine bays are a little smaller.

Punisher
02-13-2006, 03:22 PM
It still isn't a cold air intake.. it sits directly behind of the radiator.. what the hell do you guys think is happening when you are goin down the highway? Air is going to be hauling ass through the condenser (which will be hot if the AC is on) and the radiator..

So I don't care what anyone says.. it's not a true CAI..

Tommy91GT
02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
What if you ran it through the firewall, under the dash and up to the passenger side vent with the AC on high, would that be a true CAI?

undecided
02-13-2006, 05:49 PM
my "cai' ran over the starter right behind the radiator then the filter touched the tranny.

Luckynumber5
02-13-2006, 09:01 PM
It still isn't a cold air intake.. it sits directly behind of the radiator.. what the hell do you guys think is happening when you are goin down the highway? Air is going to be hauling ass through the condenser (which will be hot if the AC is on) and the radiator..

So I don't care what anyone says.. it's not a true CAI..

Care to explain what a "true" CAI is? Also, Im not just here to troll, I have a Celica too and I came here for some much needed information for my 4a-fte setup (which is coming along nicely btw)

Punisher
02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Air from outside the engine bay.. Inside the fender.. hood scoop.. etc.. those things are going to be plenty useless when it comes to summer time.. it'll be no different than having the air filter sitting behind your battery.. or as ricers call them "short ram" intakes..

I've done PLENTY of intake setups in my day.. behind the battery.. between the tranny and radiator and even one that ran to the front and down between the radiator and tranny and then under the tranny, where the filter mounted on the engine bay undercover.. No difference between the setups.. I even put a big ass hole where the battery sits.. so I had the air filter in the fender... where usually the resonator box is..

So yea... go spend 200 bucks on some "pretty pipe".

The setup I am going to be working on soon will be true CAI.. with the air filter sitting right under the hood scoop.. and the filter will have a shroud around the back side of it.. so it only draws air in from the scoop, not the bay.

Luckynumber5
02-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Trust me, Zoni and Luis do good work, it may not work on a Celica but its a damn nice piece of work on a Camry

RedPhoenix
02-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Us camry guys get nothing. Were happy that there making parts for us now.

Me being the #1 for the turbo downpipe.

cant wait.

Punisher
02-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Well, last time I checked Toyota made the camry to be a 4dr practical car.. not a race car.. Unless you plan on modifying it to match the NASCAR Camry....?

RedPhoenix
02-15-2006, 03:23 AM
that wasnt the point of my post. the point was... a company finally took interest in the car i own so im very happy.

so my point was its a cai (or close too) but its the fact that parts are being made for this car.

i dont think you relize that i know its a 4 door practical car, i hear that all the time.

"turbo... in a camry??"
:slap:

anyways, i already made my useful post way above. too bad it wont fit.