PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge - What to get

Stinger
01-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey there

Im looking to purchase a boost gauge soon for my gt-four. Can anyone answer a few quick questions for me :noob:

What is the differance between the electronic and mechanical? which is better to go for? Also are there any prefered brands. I dont really want a cheapy as i want acuarate results as i plan on doing the RC conversion this year.

Thanks guys! Happy New Year! :bigthumbu

skyman88
01-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Hey,
The difference is the location of the sending unit. A mechanical gauge requires that the "information" be sent directly to the gauge. So for an oil pressure gauge you actually have to run a line into your cabin. An electrical gauge includes a a translator that you mount near the source of what is being monitored and just a wire needs to run inside the car to the gauge.
Personally I have just have a mechanical boost gauge from Autometer. You have to run the pressure line inside the car but it is nylon tubing about 4mm in diameter so I didn't see the need to spend more money than needed on the gauge.

~SKY~

Stinger
01-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I went for an mechanical autometer gauge also. I think i will get an auto electronics shop to install it, i dont think im up to it :bigthumbu

Stinger

Sean
01-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I went for an mechanical autometer gauge also. I think i will get an auto electronics shop to install it, i dont think im up to it :bigthumbu

Stinger

It is a very simple install, we could walk you through it in here very easily!

skyman88
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey,
Stinger, there really isn't much to install. There are a couple of wires in order to have your gauge light up when you turn on your parking lights, which is easy enough to install. As for the actual gauge, you need a "T" fitting for your vacuum line and maybe some sissors to cut a line. You simply insert the "T" fitting, and run the nylon boost tube to the interior of your car. Seriously with no mechanical knowledge it shouldn't take more than an hour.

~SKY~

Playfortoday
01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I would only let a professional install a mechanical boost gauge. My friend's cousin's brother's brother installed one, and the nylon line let loose which sprayed super heated air(he was running a ct-26 at 19psi) into his eye. His eye melted and now he has a glass one. He says he wishes he would have had taken the car to have it done professionally.

EvilSpeeder
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I would only let a professional install a mechanical boost gauge. My friend's cousin's brother's brother installed one, and the nylon line let loose which sprayed super heated air(he was running a ct-26 at 19psi) into his eye. His eye melted and now he has a glass one. He says he wishes he would have had taken the car to have it done professionally.

LOL :slap:

AllOutRed90
01-11-2005, 09:55 PM
holy shit....