PDA

View Full Version : getting a motor cycle come spring

slvrblt
02-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Come this spring I'm planing on going out and buying a motorcycle. I'm leaning towards getting a BMW F 650 GS Dakar. It is a liquid cooled fuel injected single cylinder, with 8.3 inches of travle both front and rear with abs advalable as an option.

A couple pis courtsy of BMW
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/bikes/f650gsd/bike_photo_gallery_photos/4.jpg
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/bikes/f650gsd/bike_photo_gallery_photos/3.jpg

The msrp is $8200. Just need to find some time to get to the dealer ship to take a closer look.

ronin
02-12-2006, 10:50 AM
nice bike. lot of money to pay. are you going to be doing any adventure riding?? or combination riding ie dirt/road. cause if you're not, id have a look for something a bit more specific to what you want it for.. the dual purpose bikes are great.. but they aret actually great at any 1 thing.. ie dirt/road etc...

slvrblt
02-14-2006, 12:34 AM
I do plan on doing some offroad riding. Might end up taking some long weekends to adventure in the mountians.

Colossus20v
02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
I love riding. I suggest that everyone tries it because it will make you a better car driver with being alert for things. I have not driven my bike for a couple of weeks right now. I miss it. I cant wait for the weather to get better soon. Stupid cold and snow. You'll like it slvrblt.

Ricksta
02-14-2006, 02:33 AM
dude if your going to spend that kind of money get a real bike. your going to ride down the street in that beamer bike and everyone is going to point and laugh at you dude

partyball
02-14-2006, 02:43 AM
buy an offroad bike and then buy the lights and turnsignals to make it street legal. I'd choose a Honda XR600 or maybe Yamaha Yz450F. They are very powerful bikes and will satisfy your offroad needs alot better than a dual purpose. Just my two cents. While were on this topic I'll post some of my wheelie pics on here.

slvrblt
02-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey ricksta what do you consider a real bike?

partyball
02-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I doubt he has ever ridden a real bike. Im pretty sure he is talkin about bikes like the R1 or CBRs.What kind of riding do you plan on doin most slvrblt.

slvrblt
02-15-2006, 12:34 AM
It will mostly be street with some riding of dirtroads and trails that are not super technical. If I plan on doing some hardcore offroad I'll just use my atv. And if I want to ride a sporty street bike I'll just ride my dad's 1985 Kawasaki 454ltd.

undecided
02-15-2006, 01:27 AM
eh dual purposes suck.. that's just me though. save the atv for offroad. and have a quick bike for on the street, and the twisties. once u hit the twisties and your like.. how did i make that turn..woah i have more to lean.. well u get the idea ull fall in love im sure.

if u decided to do anything technical on the streets that dual purpose would hold you back..

whats with ppl buying new bikes?

partyball
02-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Gett a used CBR 600(found for as little as $3000) or a Yamha R6. They are both great bikes.

ronin
02-18-2006, 08:59 AM
you could probably get an 04 CBR600, with little k's on it, that goes like a stung cat, and have enough money left over to go buy yourself a chookchaser (off road bike) like a 125 second hand as well.

dont buy a trail bike for the road. they suck to ride on sealed surfaces.

dont listen to ricksta - he just pre-pubesant and cant help it. those BMW's are top notch. (ricksta.. look around.. the BMW dual purpose bikes have been winning more international awards lately than you've had wanks)

get the ABS,, esp if you havent ridden before, it'll save your life.

slvrblt
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm heading to the dealership today to take a closer look and to get an idea of what the final cost is going to be. As far as getting a sprot bike I really have no interest in one.

slvrblt
02-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Went to the dealership yesterday they had a couple of the bikes that I am looking at but they were still in the crates. The salesman is supposted to contact me when they have one assembled for me to come look at. So I might end up getting one before the week is out.

ronin
02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
good stuff man! take the camera with you and get a pic for us. ive only just got into the riding thing over ehre.. and we are limited to 250CC, which is shit.. but its all good fun.

slvrblt
02-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Just got in from going to the dealership. I went and looked at a silver f650gs that was fully optioned. It had the hand guards, taller dakar windscreen, abs, heated grips and hazard flashers. The salesman that I'm dealing with was not there so I have to call tomorrow to work out when I'm going to fill out the paperwork and take delivery. I also spent about and hour tring on different jackets and boots. So the final price incluing riding gear is going to be around $9000. I did not take any pics, but will the next time I'm up there.

slvrblt
02-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Ok so today I put down a $500 deposit to hold the bike till Saturday when I can get back up there to fill out all of the paper work.

Colossus20v
02-24-2006, 01:26 AM
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics: Get more pics this saturday.

partyball
02-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Thats pretty pricey but as lomg as it is worth it to you. Good luck riding and stay safe. And dont forget some pics.

slvrblt
02-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Got the motorcycle today. The owner of the dealership was there and congradulated me on the purchase of the bike. I was at the dealer for a total of almost 4 hours. I also bought a riding jacket, boots, gloves, and the helmet is on order for the color that I want. I will post pics up tomorrow.

slvrblt
02-26-2006, 08:06 PM
pics can be found here http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=167474#post167474