PDA

View Full Version : Common Problems To Look For?

Elektr0de
01-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Hey all,

Im probably going to be looking for a 5th gen in the near future as a daily driver and would like to know if there are any common problems i should look for when checking out a car. Thanks in advance

Hooligan
01-02-2005, 01:47 AM
The usual stuff (off the top of my head):

-Leaky distributor shaft seal and valve cover gasket (easy fixes)
-Sticky trunk hinges (some coupes, easy but not particularly cheap)
-Worn synchros (mostly on 90-91 GT/GTS, not easy or cheap)
-Leaky high-side power steering pressure hose (cheap, but not easy fix)
-Broken cupholder (all, pretty cheap fix)
-Cracked rubber intake tube (easy fix or install an intake)
-Broken tweeter covers (easy, but not particularly cheap)
-Sticky/slow sunroof (usually just need a good cleaning and lube)

That's all for now...if I think of more, I will post them up.

GT4SOM
01-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Will you be getting a ST/GT/GTS? Coupe or liftback?

ChewDogg
01-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Don't forget the moisture in the tail lights.

Freeze
01-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Also, dead headlight motors and dead dimmer switch (rheostat switch).

Elektr0de
01-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Will you be getting a ST/GT/GTS? Coupe or liftback?

not sure, i dont have a preferance honestly. i would say prob an st or a gt, most of the adds ive seen seem to be for them

AznKlique
01-02-2005, 07:50 AM
not sure, i dont have a preferance honestly. i would say prob an st or a gt, most of the adds ive seen seem to be for them
Check the A/C.

boosted gt
01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
i'm always pushing/pulling/tapping/punching/swearing at the dimmer switch in my car

Sean
01-02-2005, 08:21 PM
i'm always pushing/pulling/tapping/punching/swearing at the dimmer switch in my car

There was a recall on that switch

boosted gt
01-02-2005, 08:38 PM
sweet! maybe i can get it fixed for free. thanks

Freeze
01-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeh, but if you're not the original owner, a lot of dealers won't do it for free.

91CelicaGT13
01-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Check the A/C.

Definetely the A/C and the vents my bottom center vent cracked and lost the directional contol on it. Also the center console it real shaddy on the 5th generations. Trunk hinges for sure also the corners of the trunk, the previous owner of my car decided because he/she couldn't get the trunk to close they decided to sit on it to make it close bending up the trunk corners, so watch for the hinges. Also being from the east coast (where my car is from) watch the rust issue it can get bad on the 5th generations.

Good Luck

Peace

Slider
01-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Yeh, but if you're not the original owner, a lot of dealers won't do it for free.

Hmmm are you sure? I had a recall on my 1988 Maxima that the dealer did for me for free. Basically the dealers get paid by Nissan itself for the work so the dealership isn't loosing any money. I had all the injectors and injector harness changed along with fuel filter and some other things I missed. Basically more than a $1000 worth of work for free without question. They just made me call the nissan 1-800 number and give them my VIN to make sure there are open recalls for it. Had no problem there after. Maybe Toyota dealerships work the same way?

Hooligan
01-03-2005, 02:58 AM
A recall is a recall, whether you are the original owner or not. If your service guy is giving you some line like that, take the car somewhere else or ask to talk to their manager/owner.

Freeze
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Unless it's a manditory recall (aka, the government saftey people made them), they're not required to do it unless you're the original owner. Some dealers will, some won't, it depends.

DK Squall
01-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Only problems I've had so far is leaky weather stripping. All those other problems listed are scarying me tho x_x

Doc
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM
oh ya, the door switches are bad on 90% of the 5th gens i've been in.

you know. those little buttons inside your door jam that turn the lights on when the door is open.

$12 each from the dealer.

Rayme
01-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Some have problem with belts retracting when you open the door, oh and the passenger side belt retractor does a big scary sound when you open the door. haha.

Check for along the body lines under and where the front sway bar connects to the frame for rust.

Take the car for a ride on bumper road, if you hear something rattle in the back the suspension bushings are shot, quite common but looks like everyone rides on them anyway.

A small blue smoke cloud on startup is common too for old 5s-fe. It's only slowly leaking valve seals and NOT the piston rings. You live with it.

Driving one is very rewarding you easily forget all that minor stuff :)

fiveSFE
01-17-2005, 08:30 PM
mine does white smoke on startup, lol i got allmost everysingle problem, the cup holder(which ive already fixed once), bent corner on trunk, i had a cracked rubber intake hose, tweeter covers, and the door switches.

Luis C
01-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Power steeing leaks, power steeing leaks and power steeing leaks.... and uh... did I fail to mention power steeing leaks? :D

TRDmkII
01-18-2005, 04:31 AM
a lot of things go bad on an old car.....i can't list them all..brakes, wheel bearings...leaks of every kind...etc, etc........................................etc, and just think, when one thing goes wrong and you fix it...the next thing breaks...its great...lol...very good cars though.

SexyRedDred
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
wow so good to know, so far no leaks. But the trunk is annoying.

indian_'93GT
05-13-2007, 03:07 PM
The usual stuff (off the top of my head):

-Leaky distributor shaft seal and valve cover gasket (easy fixes)
-Sticky trunk hinges (some coupes, easy but not particularly cheap)
-Worn synchros (mostly on 90-91 GT/GTS, not easy or cheap)
-Leaky high-side power steering pressure hose (cheap, but not easy fix)
-Broken cupholder (all, pretty cheap fix)
-Cracked rubber intake tube (easy fix or install an intake)
-Broken tweeter covers (easy, but not particularly cheap)
-Sticky/slow sunroof (usually just need a good cleaning and lube)

That's all for now...if I think of more, I will post them up.

any idea on how to lube up and clean the sunroof??? thanks

PhillyDRFT
05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
any idea on how to lube up and clean the sunroof??? thanks

take down your headliner, pull out the motor and spray in some lube, Clean off the tracks and add some lithium grease.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Wasn't there a recall on the spark plug tubes?

indian_'93GT
05-13-2007, 10:18 PM
thanks philly!

5S-FE
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Can someone point me towards more information on the power steering leaks?

I think I that's what I have.

Ads28
05-13-2007, 11:54 PM
yeaa i hear yaa on the power steering leaks..and the damn moisture in the tail lights...ever day only the passenger side gets moisture in it...anyone know how i can seal it better ?

VikingJZ
05-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Rear main seal also has a tendency to leak after a while. Also look at the suspension; strut mounts in particular.

For power steering, you could take the belt off of the car for a while, also, you could plug the lines and take the pump out. That takes strain off of the engine, allows it to run better under steering wheel lock, and also makes the car more responsive under spirited driving conditions in turning roads.

COLDAX
05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
If it has a power antenna they always break - it's the plastic grooved spline on the inside that craks and can be replaced (ebay) or you can go aftermarket or fixed mast.

The System 10 stereo head units have a history of diodes that degreade and you lose some or all of the functionality.

The visor mounting tab can also break off so that they hand down.

The seat belt issue I beleive was a recall item that the dealer should fix.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-16-2007, 03:45 AM
When I bought my car a friend of mine told me that a comman problem he knew about was the strut towers rusting. I haven't seen it yet but I'd take a look just for the sake of it.

MCcelica
05-16-2007, 03:59 AM
lol. I had all of the above in my 5th gen. damn I miss 'er. I just fixed the tweeter pods with a little bit of silicone glue.

geebes
05-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Check out the weather stripping when I was looking I noticed a few were bad, I didn't care for the 'trunk' versions they all seemed to be kinda screwed up in some way or another...go for the liftbacks. Get one with power windows preferably, I looked at one with standard ones and I think it would have pissed me off.

timmy
05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I just bought a '92 GT last week. The only problems it has is: a rattle in the trunk, the dome light doesn't turn on when the door opens, the antanae won't go down, a button is broke off of the factory CD player, the A/C isn't cold, and it stumbles at idle when the engine is warm. I just replaced the spark plugs and put a new air filter on it, so the stumble hopefully will go away today. I saw the rattle in the trunk, dome light, and antanae fixes in this thread, but the A/C, and the stumble are all thats left.

vms4evr
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I just got a 90 GT Hatchback. So far I've found.

The tweeters not flush. (Some good contact cement seemed to help.)
The cup holders are flaky. (Do you really care...)
Rattling in the back. (Spare tire not bolted down, lug wrench floating around, jack not tightened down, check strut towers to make sure they are torqued properly, god I hope they aren't rusted out.)
Rusted out hole where the rubber plug goes in for the spare tire. (A little sheet metal, some rivets, and some silicone sealer)
Rusted out sender, gas filler tube, breather tube connections where they go into the gas tank. (Probably require another gas tank and assemblies)
Shifter sloppy due to age. (Feels like a row boat. Rebuild kit seems inexpensive)
Burns oil. (Doesn't leek, just burns a bit. Just keep an eye on it.)
Gas pedal feels really stiff when you first press on it. (Too much cabling due to cruise control unit. Pull the plastic cover off CC and spray the heck out of it while someone presses the gas pedal. Nice and smooth again.)
Pop up headlights locked in up position. (Bad motor, relay, fuse.)

That's what I found so far. Those are doable fixes at a pretty reasonable price. The oil burning I'll just live with. I'm not tearing into the engine today. Add some of the Lucas oil stabilizer to slow down the oil burn and move on. If you aren't ragging the car the oil consumption drops way down.

cbarett251
11-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Mine had power steering leaks until I put a couple of bottles of Lucas Power Steering fluid with stop leak in. That Lucas stuff is good. Just got to fix the valve cover gasket now!

METDeath
11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
oh ya, the door switches are bad on 90% of the 5th gens i've been in.

you know. those little buttons inside your door jam that turn the lights on when the door is open.

$12 each from the dealer.

Or you can just clean them with some WD-40. I did that and it works great now.

Carolina91GT-S
11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Oil pump seals leak. cheap fix if you do it yourself. pain in the ass amount of work for such a small part.

Power steering leaks.

cbarett251
11-04-2008, 02:53 PM
any tips for the valve cover gasket? I've heard RTV the corners?