PDA

View Full Version : G Engines Dead?

Morwan
02-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the 2ZZ-GE is the last G-series engine in production.

This kind of mystifies me, because Toyota's new 'performance engines' are both F-series: The '06 Solara's 2GR-FE, and the IS350's 2GR-FE. Any reason why?

edit: I'm retarded, it's the 2ZZ-GE.

Trance4c
02-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the 1ZZ-GE is the last G-series engine in production.

This kind of mystifies me, because Toyota's new 'performance engines' are both F-series: The '06 Solara's 2GR-FE, and the IS350's 2GR-FE. Any reason why?

Look to the economy for the answer on that one. Just because Toyota labels it 'performance' doesn't necessarily mean it is.. besides, after the 2J in 97' and the 3S in the MR2 in 97'.. there really hasn't been a real performance toyota engine out unless you could the 2000+ GTS Celica 2ZZ-GE as one. (me.. personally not, its just a wanna be Honda high reving alumi block paper weight)

Morwan
02-03-2006, 07:53 AM
There really hasn't been a real performance toyota engine out unless you could the 2000+ GTS Celica 2ZZ-GE as one. (me.. personally not, its just a wanna be Honda high reving alumi block paper weight)

IMHO, the problem with the 2ZZ-GE was that it belonged in the MR-S.. It would've destroyed the S2000 with that engine.

KoreanJoey
02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
IMHO, the problem with the 2ZZ-GE was that it belonged in the MR-S.. It would've destroyed the S2000 with that engine.

I don't know about destroyed... but it's got a nice home in the Lotus Elise.

SNapper
02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
g and f just mean duel over head cam

F Fuel Efficient Head (narrow valve angle)
G Performance Head (wide valve angle)