PDA

View Full Version : Possible fuel leaks

kpdvx
02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
So it appears that I have a few fuel leaks in the engine compartment. I was out there doing some soldering on the harness and I kept smelling gas. I got under the car to make sure that the flare fitting on the fuel filter was torqued properly and I saw gas dripping onto the ground. From what I gather, when it heats up outside, vapors form in the gas tank which causes the fuel system to be somewhat pressurized.

I know that one leak is coming from the fuel return rubber hose, and I think that the high pressure fuel line (that connects to the top of the fuel filter and to the fuel delivery pipe under the fuel pulsation damper) might be leaking too. I saw a small pool of gas on top of the intake manifold pipe underneath the fuel line. I haven't had a chance to look at it again, but I'm pretty sure it was gas there. My question is, if it is leaking from this area, has anyone had any experience in removing/replacing this pipe while the engine is in the car? I just dropped the engine in, and I'd really hate to have to pull it back out to fix this. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

kpdvx
02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
If a mod wants to move this to Maintenance, Troubleshooting, & Repair, go ahead, it's cool.

alltracman78
02-03-2006, 03:27 AM
It shouldn't be that bad to replace...
Now if you had an Alltrac, haha

Are you going to replace both rubber lines?
The return should be easier and cheaper....

Does it leak when the engine is running?
There should be more pressure then....
Also, there is a "vent" on the gas cap. This is supposed to vent excess pressure. If it's not working right, you might want to replace the seal and/or cap.

kpdvx
02-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Not sure if it leaks when the engine is running or not, as I haven't cranked it yet. I will be in a position to crank the engine this weekend, but I wasn't sure if I should do that being that I know of at least one link. Ya, the rubber hose will be easy/cheap to fix, I just worry about the main fuel line. Whenever I open the gas cap, it seems to release lots of pressure. Maybe I should take a look at replacing the seal or the cap alltogether.