PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal questions

kpdvx
02-01-2006, 04:51 AM
So I'm about done with my engine replacement and auto to manual conversion. Few questions though.

Does the clutch pedal have a return spring? Right now when I press the clutch pedal it quickly pulls itself to the floor. There are springs on the pedal assembly that help to depress it, but is there supposed to be a return spring to pull it back up? I have pictures of what my assembly looks like if my explanation isn't too clear, but I'm afraid the pictures wont be too clear either (taken at odd angles).

With the clutch pedal on the floor, the clutch should be engaged (or would I say disengaged?)., but it isn't. There is fluid in the resorvoir, but I'm not able to get the hydrolics to work together. I can pump the pedal all I want, but the slave cylinder never does anything. If I pump the slave cylinder by hand, I can get air bubbles to come out of the master cylinder resorvoir. The system most definately needs bleeding, but pumping the clutch pedal does nothing, so I'm not able to bleed it. I'm thinking perhaps the master cylinder is damaged.

Any ideas on either of these issues?

alltracman78
02-01-2006, 04:53 AM
You will have to bleed the master cylinder.
Once it is bled, and works properly, the pressure from the clutch will force the pedal back up.

Dr Tweak
02-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Pump it a bunch of times, then start bleeding it, and it will start working. If not, get back to us.

-Doc

kpdvx
02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Pumped it about a hundred times, bled it until nothing but fluid ran out, but still no luck. I think that's probably the least of my concerns now though, I seem to have at least one fuel leak. When it heats up outside, the gas forms vapors in the tank and I guess pressurizes the system. I can smell and see gas dripping from at least one place (hose from the fuel return line, near the back of the intake manifold). That stuff is a real pain to get to when the engine is in the car.

kpdvx
02-02-2006, 07:27 PM
After much pumping, and much bleeding, the pedal is working like it's supposed to. Thanks!