PDA

View Full Version : Turbo timer & Immoboliser Question?

Aust162
01-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi guys, i posted this topic in the Australian section, but its probably more appropriate in here :)
i just brought an Apexi turbo timer (pen style)

My question is: i've got a car alarm/immoboliser on it, so how do i bypass it? the car's got single point immobolisation,which is the crank wire. i understand i need a relay to make it work.
Also in the wiring diagram book it has colours:
Red: 12v contant
Blue: IG2 output (ignition)
Green:IG1 output

where does the green and blue wires connect?
And the Park brake (grey wire) isn't essential is it?i dont want to hook it up if i dont have to...
I will be using/connecting the wires for the ECU functions on the timer too, if that has anything to do with it.
If anyone has a write-up or a link u can show me that would be awesome!

Thanks in Advance :D

david in germany
01-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I think Maby the right place to ask this one is the forced induction forum. I can help you out with alarms and radios and such but the timer questions... not without the manual for the item. Ask if anyone has the same timer/ controler unit.
David

3S-GTE_Man
01-01-2005, 12:56 PM
funny thing man cause i got the same apexi turbo timer....and tomorrow getting my viper alarm fitted and they go know how to do the whole immobilezer and turbo timer so yeah...

ummm the park bit isn't needed to work but is handy as i didn't wire it tight enough and not work now and i have drivign off with her counting down still and all of a sudden the engine click off while i'm driving..so fit it..it just need to be taped into the wire that is onthe handback switch man esay...and cut and solider that in don't use that wire tapign shit plastic thingy they give u did..lasted a week or soemthing, lol!

Nezza :wiggle:

Aust162
01-02-2005, 12:45 PM
hey nezza, the hand brake wire is that little green one u can see through the centre console hey?if so , yeah that shouldn't be too hard. i'm just being lazy, cbf connecting up all the wires!lol

Hey "David In Germany" can u move this topic into forced induction, or do i do that???

thanks for your help fellas. :)

david in germany
01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey "David In Germany" can u move this topic into forced induction, or do i do that??? :)
like a flash! :bigthumbu

T-spoon
01-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Alrighty, I think it actually seems more complicated than it is. Your biggest complication should be that since you have a swap, your ignition harness might be different than a "normal" 3sgte car. Or it might not be different, or you may have switched to the 3sgte ignition switch too, that part I just dunno. In any event, I've used the apex'i timer on a couple cars, one without an alarm, one with an aftermarket alarm and helped reinstall one on a MKIII supra that had a complex alarm system with remote start. In point of fact, the alarm was ignored entirely and I just used the wiring harness, the Apex'i harness, HKS harness, or Greddy harness should all be the same and work, you just need the right one for your car and like I said, I don't know which that will be given it's a swap. With that harness, you simply unplug the ignition switch and you plug the timer harness inline with it. There's a take-off pigtail that goes to the harness itself, it grabs the power it needs from there. You do need to have the wire going to the handbrake, it's not going to work otherwise unless you rig something else up, that's how the timer knows when to take over or not. The ground is a simple ground to chassy unless you use the O2 wire, in which case there is a specific ground wire on the ECU pigtail that you must have your timer ground going to, the paperwork with the timer will tell you which one, as it shows which wire is the O2 you need to splice into. As far as I have seen, it's not more complicated than that. If your alarm auto-arms and locks the car after it turns off, those kinds of functions I'm not sure about, because I'm not certain how each alarm might work, I do know my all-trac's alarm auto-armed after a couple minutes of the timer turning the car off, but it didn't auto-lock the car, so with just installing it normally, I imagine what you'd get is that you'd have to lock the car after the timer has counted down and switched off the car.

Lagos
01-02-2005, 06:12 PM
this seems to be a confusing issue. if a TT keeps the engine running, how would you arm the alarm? most viper alarms will not arm untill the engine is off.

even if you manage to figure out a way for the alarm to arm with the engine running, wont the alarm go off because of the vibration the motor causes?

T-spoon
01-03-2005, 06:15 AM
you don't arm the alarm while the car is running, many alarms will arm a certain amount of time after the car shuts off. However, if it doesn't, and if it does not lock your doors even if it arms, then you have to be around to lock/arm whenever the timer is done.

Lagos
01-03-2005, 06:18 AM
so that sort of defeats the idea of a turbo timer. you might as well just sit in the car and let it idle... then get out and lock your doors with the keyless.

Aust162
01-03-2005, 07:14 AM
T-spoon > i wasn't going to get a wiring harness for that fact,i'm not 100% sure what ignition switch is in it. allthough i think its still the 3SGE ignition. my alarm was already in the car befor the swap was done, and i highly doubt they would have touched it.also i think the harness is a waste of money, the car's wiring has already been tapped into when the alarm was put in.

i have an idea of how its done. i'll try to explain it as best i can :) using a relay. you lock the car as normal with the remote and as soon as the car has turned off after the timer has done its job-> that neg or positive trigger (whatever it is), triggers the relay and then immobolises the crank wire. (the car has only one stage of immobolisation which is the crank.

so, does this sound right or???

Lagos
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
i think i might just get a new alarm that has a turbo timer built into it. it seems almost impossilbe to have the TT + alarm combo to work right.

T-spoon
01-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Well, in my case I don't know if it was the alarm or the just the way the alltrac locks worked. If I remember correctly an alltrac without an alarm still unlocks the doors and releases the steering wheel lock (so that it pops up out of your way to get in and out of the car) whenever the car turns off. This may have been the case with the MKIII supra I was dealing with as well, though I believe at one time it was working such that the alarm armed and locked the doors after the car shut off.

As far as the harness being a waste of money, I think that is only the case if you cannot get the proper harness for your switch. 15-20$ for the harness IMO is nothing compared to the time and trouble you save by using it. You never know what's going to happen. For instances, on that same MKIII I was talking about, there was an electrical problem but instead of cooking the ignition switch, just had to get a new harness, pop it out, pop the new one in. Even if -especially if- the wires are already hacked into, it seems to me to be a good idea to not do any further hacking. Remember any connection you make with a splice or even solder has the potential to cause serious headaches for you. The harness also provides easy to identify switched, ground and power sources should you ever want to splice into the ign for anything else, like gauges, etc. Anyway, if there isn't one made for your car, then it's a moot point, I just wince at how messy wiring gets on modified cars and have heard plenty of horror stories about having to replace electronics, wiring looms, etc.

Lagos
01-04-2005, 12:01 AM
only problem is that they dont have a harness for a 6th gen celica.

T-spoon
01-04-2005, 08:56 AM
only problem is that they dont have a harness for a 6th gen celica.

I know, the thread starter doesn't have a 6g though :)

3S-GTE_Man
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
nah i had that same turbo timere and just got my new viper 700esp fitted and they charge me like 50 bucks more to fit a relay and other shit to work with the turbo timer...like when the TT running the engien down only the starter zone is immobleized then when the timer does off it trigers a relay or soemthign and then tells the alarm to arm the fuel cut and ignion/spark zones of the immobliezer!

Nezza :wiggle: