PDA

View Full Version : Might be fucked

kpdvx
01-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Not really looking for help or anything (though anything would be appreciated) I just need a place to vent. Went to pull off my harmonic balancer so I could change my timing belt. Pulled it with a puller I bought from Napa. Got it off (which was a bitch) only to find out that the end of the tool had broken off inside the crank. Have tried and tried to get it out, but so far no luck. The threads inside there might be damaged, I'm not sure. If I can't get this out, I can't get the balancer on, which means no altenator, no power steering, no accessories whatsoever. I could really be fucked here. I could drill it all the way out, and tap it for a bigger bolt, that's one possibility, but hell, I don't know. A new crank is $500, and I don't have that money to spend, and I don't want to tear the engine all the way down. After my dad gets off work, he said he'd take a look at it, and he's pretty damn good at figuring out these sort of things, but who knows. *sigh*

Captain Morgan
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
is it broken off flush? are there any chips or raised edges on the piece thats broken off?

If you cant back it out with a hammer and punch, I would try drilling it out and using an extractor first. If that doesnt work, keep drilling it out progressively until the piece is very thin, they try busting it out of there with a screwdriver.

WannabeGT4
01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
reverse drill bits and easy-outs from Harbor Freight or Sears. Good luck.

kpdvx
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Ya, I tried using a screw extractor... the problem is the puller "main threaded rod"... well the tip was hollow, and it had a small what looked to be brass pointy piece in the end of it. So I can see the back of the brass piece inside the crank, but it had a bit of a flange on it, so it cannot be pulled out without first extracting the rest of the "main threaded rod" which is lodged in all the way. Hope this makes sense.

WannabeGT4
01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you've already got a hole in the main threaded rod. If that is the case, it sounds like you just need a bigger easy out or you could try and tap that hole with reverse threads and put a reverse threaded bolt into it and remove it that way.

Mister2T
01-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I would think a easy out could get that out kpdvx, My buddy uses them all the time on Heavy machinary.

alltracman78
01-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Wait, you put a threaded puller in the crank hole?
Damn dude.
If you cansee the brass end, that is good. Brass is easy to drill. Drill out the brass, get an extractor in there, and extract. :D

kpdvx
01-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Ya, I did the ultimate stupid thing, put a threaded puller into the crank hold. But! My dad was able to fix it! Bought a tap for the harmonic balancer bolt and bit for the tap. Drilled it out, and the threads were still in good shape. Ran the tap through there to clean up the threads, and presto! Fixed! Changed out the timing belt, put the balancer back on, and put some blue lock tight on the bolt. Good as new :).

alltracman78
01-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Awesome :)

schmooot
01-29-2006, 01:22 AM
good luck returning the pouller now

kpdvx
01-29-2006, 06:22 AM
No need to. I bought the puller, I'm sure I'll need it again. I'm going to grind the threads off the end of the shaft.