PDA

View Full Version : Engine drop-in preparation

kpdvx
01-22-2006, 07:22 PM
So I'm about ready to drop in my replacement 5SFE. Tentatively the plans are for it going in next Saturday, starting at sunrise. So with that in mind, I'm wondering what I should look out for when installing the engine, any things that I need to especially pay attention to. I'm going to be replacing my oil pressure sending unit so I can try to build oil pressure up in the engine before I try and start it (cranking w/o plugs or ignitor). I'm replacing the sending unit because it's cheap, and just so I know that it works. I've replaced hoses on the engine, select vacuum lines, thermostat, timing belt (will be doing this tuesday), intake manifold gasket... I need to get some gaskets for a few of the fuel lines (unless anyone thinks it would be a good idea to reuse them...?). I plan on using my old spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, all that stuff. Once it's running, I'll change all that out after a few hundred miles. I'm also doing a auto to manual conversion, so I'll need to jumper the neutral safety start switch. I'll do the rest of the rewiring later (cruise cancel switch(es), clutch start switch, etc). So, any things I should particularly look out for during the installation and before I try to start it?

cmcustom
01-22-2006, 07:30 PM
if your switching auto to manual the ecu is different but it might still work.other than that i can't think of anything.make sure you fill that tranny with some good gear oil.i like 85w90.

cmcustom
01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
oh you could clean and paint the engine bay while you got it accessable

kpdvx
01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Was going to paint the bay, and started preparation, but I just said screw it. Too much stuff to remove. This is just my daily driver Celica. Project Celica will be a GTS (if/when I buy one).

*edit* My Celica is a 91, and it doesn't have ECT. So no worries about that. All that might happen to me is the O/D light might flash every now and then... can't remember details, but I don't believe my ECU will cause me any problems.

Carnage
01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
You don't have to change the ECU. Heres a guide for switching tranny. (It has wiring schematics and shit)

http://toyotacelicaonline.com/atomconvi.htm

kpdvx
01-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Ya, I've read that several times over. Thanks, though. :-p

kpdvx
01-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Does anyone think I need new axle seals? I bought the transaxle from LKQ, and the seals look good. In fact they came with nice plastic inserts to keep anything from getting into the gearbox, and presumably to keep the seals in good condition.

85gtsblackman
01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
reseal the entire engine, if u dont something will leak, trust me

headgasket optional unless u plan on turbo soon

replace plugs with ngk plugs, they are only around a 1.50 each or so

new cap wires and rotor button

yes always replace the axle seals if they are leaking or u had to replace the axles

if u have a manual trans go with some pennzoil syncromesh 5-6 dollars a bottle from autozone

oil filter is cheap, get another, even toyota filter at regular price is only 5 bux
or u can get a napa filter which is just as good